2023 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

maquisard

by maquisard

Everyone in the chase group did

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Also come on GANNA

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Good MSR edition. Mathieu wasn't much stronger IMO, he just played it better, letting Wout bring him back to Pog and an impressive Ganna, then attacking when they were all gassed. If he had a gap at the top, he was always going to be hard to bring back.
blaugrana wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:16 pm
maquisard wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:44 pm
Yes, this was discussed last week on Escape Collective Geek Warning podcast. Specialized teams are back on clinchers again rather than tubless. No one seems to know why and it is strange after the Roval wheel compatibility saga of the past years.
Maybe Specialized regular clinchers with latex tubes are just faster than their tubeless options with whatever amount of sealant they would have had to use. Is there a test of these exact combos with publicly available results? If I recall correctly, the differences between the two setups are really small with tyres such as the Continental GP5000, so it's possible that with some other manufacturers the order is reversed.
Maybe but even with other brands, the tubeless version of most tyres is slightly faster than its clincher version with a latex tube at the same pressure... but most people don't ride tubeless tires and clinchers at the same pressures, otherwise the tubeless would feel like a rock or the clincher floppy, a tubeless feels its best at much lower pressures than the optimum pressure of a clincher and at a proper pressure for each, clinchers with latex is usually a tad faster. Also, the maximum pressure allowed on tubeless tires is lower, sometimes lower than the optimum pressure of clinchers. We're talking 1 watt per tire or something here though, not much.

micky

by micky

That was an exciting finale.
UAE with Tim Wellens made the selection, Trentin by letting go created a gap but didn't expect to see Ganna holding on to such big names uphill.
Mvdp wasn't for many a contender due to his poor Strade Bianche but then he is able to surprise everyone with some crazy ride!

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Finally, he can eat his pineapple pizza there in peace :lol:

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

UpFromOne wrote:Finally, he can eat his pineapple pizza there in peace :lol:
Pretty sure a MSR win doesn’t get you a pass on pineapple on pizza anywhere in Italy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

flying

by flying

That move by MVDP on the pog was impressive to say the least

https://twitter.com/opaisdociclismo/sta ... UvkBxV3khw

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

My experiences with latex tubes is that latex and high pressure don't go well together. I don't think the tire or wheel has anything to do with it. Bodnar was most likely running a very high pressure, trading off comfort for less rolling resistance. At high pressures the latex can creep into and out of the tire's bead.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:50 am
My experiences with latex tubes is that latex and high pressure don't go well together. I don't think the tire or wheel has anything to do with it. Bodnar was most likely running a very high pressure, trading off comfort for less rolling resistance. At high pressures the latex can creep into and out of the tire's bead.
Normally latex tubes creep when they are already pinched or the wheel/tyre is a poor fit. Either way, it should never happen.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

ultimobici wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:06 am
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:50 am
Normally latex tubes creep when they are already pinched or the wheel/tyre is a poor fit. Either way, it should never happen.
Yeah, you'd expect experienced mechanics from a pro team to be able to install tubes properly. It can't be heat either since he wasn't on rim brakes.

Miller

by Miller

Lots of things should never happen but still do. One of those is latex tubes being able to dislodge a tyre under pressure - it's their party trick. I had a phase of using latex inner tubes and this happened to me more than once, I don't know why I put up with it really.
Has there been any team explanation of Bodnar's crash?

spokenwords

by spokenwords

Its just too bad there isnt a way to sew them into the tire somehow. Then maybe glue it onto the rim. Just imagine how good that could be if done correctly.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

LouisN

by LouisN

Strong showing from Trek Segafredo at Trofeo Alfredo Binda. Great win by young Shiring Van Anrooij !
Wiebes and Vos were ejected out the back from relentlessly fast pacing in the last portion. This course doesn't look too hard at first, but teams sending pure sprinters without strong support keep ending up short...

Louis :)

C36

by C36

Miller wrote:Lots of things should never happen but still do. One of those is latex tubes being able to dislodge a tyre under pressure - it's their party trick. I had a phase of using latex inner tubes and this happened to me more than once, I don't know why I put up with it really.
Has there been any team explanation of Bodnar's crash?
Unless I missed something there is nothing saying that the tube dislodge the tire and that like ultra unlikely… the most probable case is a normal flat and tire went out of the tire, end of story…

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

blaugrana wrote: Maybe Specialized regular clinchers with latex tubes are just faster than their tubeless options with whatever amount of sealant they would have had to use.
One performance engineer I discussed with mentioned that is was “possible” that the stiffer sidewall on some TL were causing more impedance (vibration) loss versus tires. Difficult to quantify but some of their qualitative test seems to indicate it.

Now can’t exclude it’s the comeback of Roval problems holding TL.