2023 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I'm surprised he didn't karate kick the guy like Bart Wellens did one time back in about 2005. I think it was at Overisje.

Here it is:

https://www.cxmagazine.com/throwback-th ... r-overijse

Same scenario - fan was jeering Wellens and throwing beer at him every time he went by. Bart chose to retaliate with the foot.

These guys are professionals and should be above retailiating like this but we must remember that they are human too, despite their otherwordly abilities, and they sometimes lose it too.

That said, I think the fine he got wasn't a large enough punishment.

At least he didn't punch a fan as Groenendaal once did.

covfefe

by covfefe

robbosmans wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:00 pm
Here is a translation of the dutch interview

"What happened? Nothing," he initially remained vague. "It's about a bunch of booers. I'm done with that too. It happened continuously today, during the warm up already."

"Then you better stay at home. I've had it with that boo call. What they shouted? You better ask them that yourself. I won't repeat it."

"It certainly doesn't belong in the sport, for no one. After a while it's been enough, for me too."

Van der Poel was fined 250 Swiss francs for the incident.
Thank you for the translation.

I'm not sure what to say. I like MVDP, he is a great champion, and he (like all the other riders) should be respected and left to race without any incidents from the crowd. On the other hand, spitting is just nok ok.

Maybe there ought to be more invovlement from the raceorganizers. Spectators should be banned for bad behaviour. Not sure though, how they would be apprehended. Riders can't unmount and have a conversation with spectators and still remain in the race. It's a difficult situation.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spokenwords

by spokenwords

If MVP says they deserved it then it must have been significant. He, and many other top pros in many sports, endure way more b.s. then they deserve to. Ban alcohol and fix most of it.
Bad move by MVP but...I get it.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

maquisard

by maquisard

I get that MdvP is annoyed and angry, he has every right to be. However I find it staggering that anyone in this forum can justify spitting at another human being. If someone insulted you in the street would you spit at them? It is absolutely disgusting, abhorrent and in most countries is considered a form of assault.

spud

by spud

take a guy riding on his limit for 30 plus minutes, what do you think happens when lap after lap, he is subjected to abuse, knowing the next time he comes around, he'll get more of it from the same assholes. The organizer is unwilling to do anything about it. No surprise he snapped, I wouldn't qualify it as a character defect.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:27 pm
MDVP needs thicker skin.. if it was just boos and insults.

He had urine thrown at him. They're lucky he just spat at them.

maquisard

by maquisard

The fact he snapped isn't surprising.

The fact that the act of snapping manifested itself in him spitting gives an insight into his personality. The same way that when kids banged on his door he chose to confront and be aggressive towards them.

Again, please answer the question, would you ever spit at someone if they antagonised or annoyed you? It is not normal behaviour.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

maquisard wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:16 am

Again, please answer the question, would you ever spit at someone if they antagonised or annoyed you? It is not normal behaviour.

If someone tossed a cup filled with urine at me, I would probably do more than spit at them.

maquisard

by maquisard

That's not what I asked, would you ever spit at someone?

During the Sky years it was widely reported by both Froome and Porte than they had urine thrown at them. In response they complained verbally, often gesticulated with a hand and made their feelings known in interviews. They never spat at anyone by way of reply - it is abhorrent, thuggish and disgusting to do so.

covfefe

by covfefe

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:58 am
tossed a cup filled with urine
Has this actually been confirmed? Is there a source?

It's not from the translation of his interview:
robbosmans wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:00 pm
Here is a translation of the dutch interview

"What happened? Nothing," he initially remained vague. "It's about a bunch of booers. I'm done with that too. It happened continuously today, during the warm up already."

"Then you better stay at home. I've had it with that boo call. What they shouted? You better ask them that yourself. I won't repeat it."

"It certainly doesn't belong in the sport, for no one. After a while it's been enough, for me too."

Van der Poel was fined 250 Swiss francs for the incident.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:58 am
maquisard wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:16 am

If someone tossed a cup filled with urine at me, I would probably do more than spit at them.
I'd make them drink their urine, but agree with covfefe.. has this been confirmed. By the translated interview MDVP is looking like a grade A asshole.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

LOWIEV

by LOWIEV

A guy on twitter that stood next to those "fans" tweeted that they threw beer and urine at him. Mvdp retweeted it

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Some devastating news percolating in Australia.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

What's happened?

Basso Diamante rim Campagnolo EPS 12 Bora WTO 60's

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

maquisard wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:28 pm
No one is within their rights to spit at another human being, no matter how much they are provoked.
Spitting is a step above words and a final warning that a fist is coming next. Plenty of people believe they are within their rights to throw a fist with enough provocation. Don't wanna get punched? Don't ask for it.
Shoving those girls. Spitting on these beer throwers. I like a guy who's not afraid to handle assh*les.