2023 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ultimobici wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 3:35 pm
Does anyone know when the rules on bike changes were relaxed? I was under the impression that bike changes in road stages were only per permitted for mechanical reasons.
I dont think that's ever been a thing. Not sure how you could police it if it was. I think I vaguely remember watching Pantani crest a mountain on a solo break and switch to a different bike (geo, gearing?) for the descent.

Miller

by Miller

Go Cav! No fkn way!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

Brilliant, delighted for him!

Was great to see Thomas doing the lead out for Astana in the final few km to keep Cavendish in position. Classy move!

Miller

by Miller

God, there's a lot of love for Cav in the peloton. Nasty crash in the final metres behind that win.

maquisard

by maquisard

That sprint give me hope for that final victory at the TdF.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

That was a gap from the HTC days!

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

these two last days sort of make up of the rest of the Giro - todays sprint, with Thomas doing a feature lead out, "helping a brother out", was nothing short of a cycling fairy tale. how freakin cool is watching how the whole peloton cheers for him. and these 4-5 bike lenghts for Cav prove he's on top of his game. cant wait for july!
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Flasher

by Flasher

Karvalo wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 5:37 pm
That was a gap from the HTC days!
Amazing to see the gap from the overhead, what a win :thumbup:

Mentally he'll be in a great place for a Tour stage win, just hope that he can do it 8)

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Great finish from Cav especially as many were saying he wouldn't make it over the Dolomites
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

darkmother

by darkmother

I was a bit surprised by the 1x choice. I thought-and I may be wrong- that Sram 12s offered a similar low gear with a 2x drive train. If my assumption is correct, 2x would have less chain angle in the lowest gears, and possibly be more efficient. The chain line on Roglic's bike in the lowest gear looked quite extreme.

ichobi

by ichobi

He probably needs that extra cadence. Apparently the 33-33 lowest gear option for sram road 2x wasnt enough to get that cadence. And it works for him clearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ichobi wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 3:07 am
He probably needs that extra cadence. Apparently the 33-33 lowest gear option for sram road 2x wasnt enough to get that cadence. And it works for him clearly.

There's a version of the Red AXS RD that supports 10-36. My assumption is they figured weight savings was worth it going with no FD, XPLR RD, Force XPLR 10-44 and 42t chainring vs FD, Red RD, Force 10-36 and Red 46/33.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 3:49 am
ichobi wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 3:07 am

There's a version of the Red AXS RD that supports 10-36. My assumption is they figured weight savings was worth it going with no FD, XPLR RD, Force XPLR 10-44 and 42t chainring vs FD, Red RD, Force 10-36 and Red 46/33.
Bingo, including because the relatively lightweight Red 1x chainring comes in many sizes. That's compatible with an XPLR RD -- I know because I had my wife's bike rebuilt that way. Another SRAM innovation-- massive compatibility. Sorry for the haters, I'm a huge SRAM fan.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Karvalo wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 3:35 pm
Does anyone know when the rules on bike changes were relaxed? I was under the impression that bike changes in road stages were only per permitted for mechanical reasons.
I dont think that's ever been a thing. Not sure how you could police it if it was. I think I vaguely remember watching Pantani crest a mountain on a solo break and switch to a different bike (geo, gearing?) for the descent.
Must have been relaxed prior to the modern era. Remembered the story of Anquetil’s mechanic cutting the a gear cable to avoid a penalty.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Here's a question for better cycling historians than me. Has there ever been a Grand Tour won by a cyclist who did not wear the leader's jersey until the final stage, as was the case for Roglic? Hesjedal and Dumoulin won Giri (?) on the final time trials, but had been in pink in earlier stages. Same for Lemond at the 1989 TDF (substitute yellow for pink).

Aha, I found one: Cadel Evans took the lead at the 2011 Tour only after stage 20; he hadn't worn the yellow jersey earlier.

How about a tour winner who never wore the leader's jersey? Froome, Pereiro and Schleck were awarded first places after the fact for the French and Spanish tours, but had worn the leader's jersey earlier. There's at least one case of this for sure: Scarponi for the 2011 Giro.

Son of a gun, there was actual racing on the final stage of the 1947 Tour, the first after WWII, and Jean Robic won the Tour that day after never having led after a stage, the first time that happened. Same for Jan Jansen in 1968.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com