2023 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

guyc

by guyc

Ah ok. So she's talking about female athletes who can stop menstruating and suffer fertility issues. That's absolutely a thing (IIRC Jess Ennis and Kelly Holmes both talk about this happening in their careers).

With the shockingly low pay for the female pros I'm not surprised she didn't want to just junk an expensive monitor after being called up late. The UCI aren't exactly know for being ahead of the curve.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

guyc wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:33 pm
With the shockingly low pay for the female pros I'm not surprised she didn't want to just junk an expensive monitor after being called up late.
https://twitter.com/JoseBeenTV/status/1 ... 8118014976
@JoseBeenTV wrote: ... they are pretty costly
@FaulknerKristen wrote: And difficult to ship from the USA to Spain. I only had 1 left and I didn’t want to waste any
@annetchrist (apparently a diabetic cyclist wrote: Because they are a prescription-only item in the US. That's illegal to ship them to the US. CGMs are meant for people with diabetes, and not even all people with diabetes can even get a prescription let alone afford them. How do you think people who need them to stay alive feel?

ms6073

by ms6073

HammerTime2 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:46 pm
guyc wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:33 pm
With the shockingly low pay for the female pros I'm not surprised she didn't want to just junk an expensive monitor after being called up late.
https://twitter.com/JoseBeenTV/status/1 ... 8118014976
@JoseBeenTV wrote: ... they are pretty costly
@FaulknerKristen wrote: And difficult to ship from the USA to Spain. I only had 1 left and I didn’t want to waste any
I guess she is not based in Europe as the Super Sapiens was first offered in the EU/UK where the Libre 3 upon which Super Sapiens depends was available for nearly a year before the USDA approved them for use in the US.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

AJS914

by AJS914

James Spragg: "Just a short reminder that current evidence suggests that wearing a CGM as a non-diabetic athlete (male or female) will not help improve your fuelling decisions nor improve your health!"

https://twitter.com/spragg247/status/16 ... 9443694592

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:10 am
James Spragg: "Just a short reminder that current evidence suggests that wearing a CGM as a non-diabetic athlete (male or female) will not help improve your fuelling decisions nor improve your health!"

https://twitter.com/spragg247/status/16 ... 9443694592
Another reply puts another spin on their use in competition being prohibited

https://twitter.com/DrMeganPowell/statu ... 99840?s=20

otnemem

by otnemem

HammerTime2 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:20 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:49 pm
otnemem wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:19 pm
"Especially women"

Why?

Women go through this thing called the menstrual cycle.
To remove any residual doubt anyone might have about the meaning.

https://twitter.com/FDiarree/status/1636254160692682752
@FDiarree wrote: You lost me @ ‘especially women’.
@FaulknerKristen wrote: Men don’t lose their periods and become infertile due to underfueling.
@FDiarree: wrote: Thanks a lot for this feedback, indeed I didn’t know.
And I can imagine UCI (all elderly men who never cycled ☺️) also don’t know.
Wish it works our for you.
So, just to bring clarity and context on this, she's conflating two things that have little to do with each other. She is referring to a side-effect of extremely low body fat (and body weight) leading to amenorrhea (lack of menstrual periods). A CGM does not prevent this and this will not be caused by "underfueling" but rather by a chronic negative calorie intake. If she's worried about this, she chose the wrong sport as I'm sure she's aware, power to weight ratio is where all pro cyclists live and die.
If this is the core of her argument she's grasping at straws here.

Some really good points being made on other considerations re the new use of CGM for healthy athletes. This is turning out to be a bad look the reeks of privilege.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Initially, reading her comments on Twitter, I was inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt. However, one thing that keeps coming up is what she based her decision on. She asked a team member, who wasn't sure either. An athlete is responsible for anything that they use or ingest. The only source for permission or clarification can only be the commissaires. If you can't check if it is OK to use something, don't use it until you can get a concrete decision. Imagine if leMond taken advice on his TT bars from a mechanic or DS instead of the commissaires on the day!

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

ultimobici wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:30 am
However, one thing that keeps coming up is what she based her decision on. She asked a team member, who wasn't sure either.
She asked a (team) staff member, not a teammate (so a team member only in the sense of being a staff member of the team). In society and business, there is a principle of division of labor. Everyone can't personally do or verify everything themselves. Nevertheless, she is the one who did the "crime", and she is the one who did the "time" (in this case, disqualification from one event).

https://twitter.com/FaulknerKristen/sta ... 4659706882
@FaulknerKristen wrote:I was a last-minute reserve for Strade, so I didn’t know I was racing when I put it in. At the race, I asked a trusted staff member if it was ok to race with and they said yes, as long as I didn’t see the data. I went out of my way to clarify ahead of time.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

either way it's a BS DQ. powermeters give racers a lot more edge than a sensor that doesn't do anything besides gathering data (perhaps for a further use A F T E R the race)
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

guyc

by guyc

Gotta worry about those sock heights though.

I do tend to start from the default position of UCI is rarely right in the longer term.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

https://twitter.com/CroxtonJosh/status/ ... 6371777538
Josh Croxton,Tech editor at Cyclingnews wrote:It’s not in the article because it’s not an opinion piece, but having spent 6 hours in a Faulkner/CGM rabbithole today, I’m putting it on record here: if @FaulknerKristen didn’t activate the device as suggested, she shouldn’t have been punished.
which references his in depth Cyclingnews article on GCM in cycling.
What are Continuous Glucose Monitors? Explaining their use, the ban, and Faulkner's DSQ

Hmm, will "every" pro cyclist become diabetic, in order to get a derogation to be allowed to use GCM in competition, just like they all are (or were) asthmatic, in order to get a TUE for inhalers?

The following UCI spiel sounds more like an argument to ban power meters in competition.
The Cyclingnews article wrote:Why are they banned?

We've seen the rule, but the 'why' is the difficult question here. At the time of the announcement that the monitors would be banned, EF Education-EasyPost's CEO, Jonathan Vaughters, quipped that it was "On brand" from the UCI saying: "If they can’t understan' it, they ban it."

The governing body's innovations manager, Mick Rogers has since offered some arguments, including concerns over personal privacy, financial accessibility and, most importantly, the increasing influence of technology on human racing.

"The fans don't want to see Formula One in bike racing, they want surprises, they want unpredictability," Rogers told Cycling Weekly <see link below> "We feel that putting such powerful information into the hands of younger riders is taking away a skill - deciding when you need to eat and learning about your body [...] It shouldn’t be a completely automated process where every decision is being taken by technology."
The Cyclingnews article wrote:[Meanwhile, <Supersapiens' founder> Southerland said that he didn't want his product to be an advantage for one team over another, and that the company would be happy to supply them free of charge to all teams. To our knowledge, this didn't happen officially, but there aren't many WorldTour teams not using the technology in training these days. Alas, it didn't affect the rules, and they remain banned.
Here is the June 18, 2021 Cycling Weekly article referenced above, which has extensive quotes by Rogers of the UCI
'The fans don't want to see Formula One in bike racing': UCI's Mick Rogers on banning metabolic sensors
The UCI's new regulations will ban glucose and lactate sensors from races
“The way races are raced now, with the use of power meters, and heart rate monitors, etcetera etcetera, it’s very different to how it was 10 to 15 years ago. The fans don't want to see Formula One in bike racing, they want surprises, they want unpredictability, and I think that’s an important part of it,” says Rogers.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

HammerTime2 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:10 pm
Hmm, will "every" pro cyclist become diabetic, in order to get a derogation to be allowed to use GCM in competition, just like they all are (or were) asthmatic, in order to get a TUE for inhalers?
I'd be interested in hearing opinions from diabetic pro riders.

AJS914

by AJS914

otnemem wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:22 am
If this is the core of her argument she's grasping at straws here.
(snip)
Some really good points being made on other considerations re the new use of CGM for healthy athletes. This is turning out to be a bad look the reeks of privilege.
Reeks of privilege? I don't understand why she is getting such a hard time here. She's taken her lumps and has moved on. She's not going on and on crying about how unfair this is. People asked to her to explain and she did. It was a mistake on her and the team's part. End of story. It was only a 3rd place. She's been improving at a rapid pace and will probably be winning lots of races in the future.

IMO, if the sensor wasn't collecting/displaying data then she was wearing a piece of plastic. It seems like the UCI in their vast wisdom could have fined her. To me, this is like when they DQ'd a rider for throwing a water bottle in the wrong spot.

jcrr

by jcrr

HammerTime2 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:44 pm
ultimobici wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:30 am
However, one thing that keeps coming up is what she based her decision on. She asked a team member, who wasn't sure either.
She asked a (team) staff member, not a teammate (so a team member only in the sense of being a staff member of the team). In society and business, there is a principle of division of labor. Everyone can't personally do or verify everything themselves. Nevertheless, she is the one who did the "crime", and she is the one who did the "time" (in this case, disqualification from one event).

https://twitter.com/FaulknerKristen/sta ... 4659706882
@FaulknerKristen wrote:I was a last-minute reserve for Strade, so I didn’t know I was racing when I put it in. At the race, I asked a trusted staff member if it was ok to race with and they said yes, as long as I didn’t see the data. I went out of my way to clarify ahead of time.
Aside from the debate around the sensor and its use, it's pretty remarkable what ' a last-minute reserve ' rider accomplished that day.
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com