2023 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:25 pm
I want to know what mvdp and pog were saying to each other. Great racing Image

Basso Diamante eps 12
I hope there is a bigger couch.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MilesG813

by MilesG813

Roglic with a big statement today against Remco, Giro will be entertaining for sure!
2022 Specialized S-Works SL7 I Ultegra R8170 I Princeton Carbonworks 6560
2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 I 105 R5700 I Zipp 404s

maquisard

by maquisard

It was surprising how badly Remco collapsed in the final meters.

MilesG813

by MilesG813

maquisard wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:46 pm
It was surprising how badly Remco collapsed in the final meters.
Losing 10 seconds w bonuses is the final 50m is not great. Roglic seems to be back to his top form. I think the Giro might be more interesting than people think. After the Vuelta last year I think most assumed Remco would ride away at the Giro but that may not be the case.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

After Remco celebrated so hard that he missed out on the jersey, it's funny how different Roglic is in contrast. Totally dominant win today but gathering maximum time gap and no celebration

maquisard

by maquisard

...and made sure he stopped his Garmin as he crossed the line, as always.

He is quirky and weird, but that makes him great.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

maquisard wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:24 pm
...and made sure he stopped his Garmin as he crossed the line, as always.

He is quirky and weird, but that makes him great.
someone needs to show Primoz the crop feature on whatever app he uses. :thumbup:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

guyc

by guyc

Miller wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:29 pm
Pogi put in a big dig on the Paterberg. When he failed to dislodge the other two there it was always looking like coming down to a sprint and he would not win that, as he did not. I don't know what he could have done differently in this race.
Absolutely nothing.

It's just brilliant to see such a gifted GC rider go for these hard, spring races and really bury himself.

MilesG813

by MilesG813

guyc wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:35 pm
Miller wrote:
Pogi put in a big dig on the Paterberg. When he failed to dislodge the other two there it was always looking like coming down to a sprint and he would not win that, as he did not. I don't know what he could have done differently in this race.
Absolutely nothing.

It's just brilliant to see such a gifted GC rider go for these hard, spring races and really bury himself.
That is exactly why he is my favorite because despite knowing he had little chance today he still rode his hardest. I think when the three of them were talking at like 30 km to go he was probably telling them they better be ready for his sprint then they all had a good laugh. He just loves racing his bike and that is something I can appreciate.

Maddie

by Maddie

maquisard wrote:If Pogacar had intelligence he would be unbeatable.
You should be his coach. I'm sure you could teach him a lot. What kind of a racing background do you have, apart from watching from your couch how others race?

Gesendet von meinem SM-S911B mit Tapatalk

maquisard

by maquisard

You should be his coach. I'm sure you could teach him a lot. What kind of a racing background do you have, apart from watching from your couch how others race?

:D :D :D

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Who's to say that Pog isn't just using these classics for training, specifically with the m.o. of burying yourself then maximizing recovery strategies? GC is all about recovery really.
A normal person would take days to recover from such an effort.

maquisard

by maquisard

UpFromOne wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:28 pm
Who's to say that Pog isn't just using these classics for training, specifically with the m.o. of burying yourself then maximizing recovery strategies?
The general consensus, as mentioned by multiple pros on multiple podcasts, is that you can't really do this anymore. You definitely aren't just in it for the training if you are in the selection at the front of the race. The level is simply too high in all races nowadays.

jcrr

by jcrr

Miller wrote:
Maybe use different tires? :D

It looked like Pogacar's tires were a bit wider/bigger than what MVdP and WVA were riding. Did I see that correctly? I also wondered about the cervelo having wheels that were less deep than the colnago and the canyon. I'm sure it's all about frame+wheel+tire optimization, taking into account the varying riding surfaces of E3. I find the selection of those details really interesting.
Great sprint win by Wout. :beerchug:
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

jcrr wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:22 am
Miller wrote:
Maybe use different tires? :D

It looked like Pogacar's tires were a bit wider/bigger than what MVdP and WVA were riding. Did I see that correctly? I also wondered about the cervelo having wheels that were less deep than the colnago and the canyon. I'm sure it's all about frame+wheel+tire optimization, taking into account the varying riding surfaces of E3. I find the selection of those details really interesting.
Great sprint win by Wout. :beerchug:
Tan walls give the optical illusion to be narrower than all black tires, kind of like horizontal stripes on shirts make people appear less fat. Or not. :mrgreen: