2023 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

otnemem

by otnemem

Geraint was in great form just yesterday. There's no good argument for him being on a downwards slope. And João was awesome today and Geraint beat his time. Roglič was simply out of this world and made all the right choices. Except maybe a better chain catcher, lulz.
robbosmans wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 7:21 pm
Just some smaller front chainrings would give the exact same result
This has been my point of contention since yesterday. Yesterday he could have kept the original cassette and still have a 1:1 ratio which was enough for that climb and wouldn't have had such big gear jumps which nearly allowed Geraint to get away. Also could have been on that since the beginning so no need to change bikes.

Today, though, it was the right choice. Unless he had gone with a small 2x by Rotor or Easton? Not sure how well those play with AXS. Are there others?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

otnemem wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 7:57 pm
Geraint was in great form just yesterday. There's no good argument for him being on a downwards slope.
It's the third week of a GT and he is the oldest GC rider by several years. That is a pretty good argument.

Anything can happen in the final days of a GT, everyone exists on a knife-edge of managing fatigue and recovery.

I would also say the course favoured Roglic, I don't think Thomas would have lost as much time on a TT up a more consistant gradient.

jever98

by jever98

Interesting to see that Roglic's chain dropped when he crossed a gutter, which presumably created a bump. I'd love to see the exact setup they ran and am curious if they cut corners in the setup - with a clutch derailleur, narrow/ wide front chain ring and a mini chain catcher on top that should be extremely unlikely, whether sram, Shimano or Campy.
----
No longer in the industry

maquisard

by maquisard

I agree, on my winter bike, a Spec. Crux, I run 1x, 42T up front and 30T at the rear with Force AXS. I have never dropped the chain despite hitting a few crazy potholes and edges.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Absolutely spectacular end to the grand tour, with the best riders taking up the right positions

Haven't seen such a end since Fignon Lemond. *f##k* SRAM, I damn near threw my remote at the screen when I saw that mechanical.

Roglic climbed out of his mind. That was truly special

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I’ve never seen a 1x AXS dropping a chain like that. Other than the slant parallelogram derailleur, that setup is used in Enduro at pro level. A gutter shouldn’t make it skip.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

robeambro

by robeambro

I had a slight preference for Roglic to win, but I would've been happy either way. Once the mechanical happened I rage quit, I was so upset that I couldn't keep watching. Never would I have expected what happened afterwards, but I am so, so happy. Neither of them deserved to lose, but even less so because of a mechanical.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Guessing the chain was too long. These AXS 1x setups had zero issues at P-R

maquisard

by maquisard

https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/statu ... 16834?s=20

How the gap between Roglic and Thomas evolved in the finale:

3,3 km to go:
Roglic 34:03
Thomas 34:19 (+0:16)

2,5 km to go, 200m after Roglic mechanical (Roglic lost ~17 sec there):
Roglic 38:05
Thomas 38:14 (+0:09)

0,8 km to go:
Roglic 42:20
Thomas 42:49 (+0:29)

FINISH:
Roglic 44:23
Thomas 45:03 (+0:40)

Basically, Thomas lost Il Giro in the last 2 km where Roglic was 30 sec faster than him. With 1 km to go, Thomas was still in virtual Maglia Rosa but then got tired, his pedalling got visibly very heavy. Anyway, without the mechanical, it wouldn't have been close and zero drama.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

TobinHatesYou wrote:Guessing the chain was too long. These AXS 1x setups had zero issues at P-R
Absolutely.

Only time I’ve dropped a chain on a SRAM 1x12 of any kind was on a poorly set up demo bike, with a chain two links too long.

We have four bikes around the house with SRAM 1x12, two of them being MTBs, and dropping a chain isn’t something I think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Did G warm up too hard/long? Saw video of both of them warming up and G was dripping wet. Had a LOT of salt on his skinsuit by the end. No one else looked like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

LeDuke wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 10:34 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:Guessing the chain was too long. These AXS 1x setups had zero issues at P-R
Absolutely.

Only time I’ve dropped a chain on a SRAM 1x12 of any kind was on a poorly set up demo bike, with a chain two links too long.

We have four bikes around the house with SRAM 1x12, two of them being MTBs, and dropping a chain isn’t something I think about.
They went super-experimental with an XPLR setup as well, so not a configuration they're used to running.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

tymon_tm wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 7:20 pm
would Remco match Rog today? I don't now if anyone would, maybe Pog or Vin on their top game?
Whole lotta shoulda woulda coulda in the way, but looks like Remco would have been far enough ahead on GC that it wouldn't have mattered if he couldn't match him on this one climb.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 11:05 pm
They went super-experimental with an XPLR setup as well, so not a configuration they're used to running.
Not really experimental when it's a standard setup well within the manufacturer's standards.

The first year I ran 1x on a gravel bike (over plenty of heinous terrain) the only chain drop I got was on a totally smooth bit of road when a random stone or bit of stick flicked up, got caught between the chain and the chainring and levered it off. Random shit happens, what can you do?

maquisard

by maquisard

Karvalo wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 11:39 pm
Whole lotta shoulda woulda coulda in the way, but looks like...
:noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com