2023 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ooo

by ooo

justkeepedaling wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:49 pm
Interesting, WvA might race Paris Roubaix on a Soloist with 1x and very deep wheels

He installed unused FD braze-on on WvA 1x bike, but no chain catcher.
'

fsas

by fsas

Cutting a carbon fork without any form of protection. Is getting lung cancer a requirement for professional mechanics?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stoney

by stoney

elSid wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:15 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:53 pm
I look at Van der Poel, those massive shoulders and relatively small waist, and it looks like a recipe for a bad back.
Can you explain that?
That thin waist can't handle all the twisting torque those shoulders and legs are putting out. Wout, on the other hand, has a much thicker core to handle the massive torque he puts out. That's one of the reasons MvdP suffers from back fatigue...that and his habit of crashing often from taking too many chances and his haphazard crash from not paying attention at the Olympic XCO race.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

ooo wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:07 am
justkeepedaling wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:49 pm
Interesting, WvA might race Paris Roubaix on a Soloist with 1x and very deep wheels

He installed unused FD braze-on on WvA 1x bike, but no chain catcher.
Odd choice of bar end plugs. Are they something special?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

eins4eins wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:24 pm

Not really. They're just extra protection for the bars in a crash.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:25 pm
eins4eins wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:24 pm

Not really. They're just extra protection for the bars in a crash.
They're special in that CloseTheGap pay to have their plugs there, they're a small sponsor of Jumbo-Visma. But yeah, the idea is that in a crash, you scrape the bar tape, but then the plastic of these plugs before scraping the carbon of the bars, leaving the bars undamaged.

Maddie

by Maddie

fsas wrote:Cutting a carbon fork without any form of protection. Is getting lung cancer a requirement for professional mechanics?
Do you stop breathing or wear a mask when you're driving behind a diesel car or when someone next to you is smoking a cigarette?

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Maddie wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:16 pm
fsas wrote:Cutting a carbon fork without any form of protection. Is getting lung cancer a requirement for professional mechanics?
Do you stop breathing or wear a mask when you're driving behind a diesel car or when someone next to you is smoking a cigarette?
I usually close my windows and set air to recirculate if I can smell gas/diesel and immediately remove myself from the vicinity of any cigarette smokers. So, sure? Yeah, one of the benefits to COVID, mask wearing has helped with this. I usually hold my breath too if I can get away from the intersection relatively quickly.

My job is with composites and I always wear a respirator anytime composite machining is involved. To forgo it is just stupidity

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Maddie wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:16 pm
They can control what they can control. Seems pretty easy/simple to just have disposable PPE at that particular station.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Although working with composites vs cutting a few steerers once or twice a year is a very different level of potential exposure.

But people do get cavalier about things. I seem to remember a Pina promo video a while back with someone spraying in the paint booth wearing just a surgical mask!

eins4eins

by eins4eins

The shop is so professional and high performance, that i would've expected a steerer cutting station with some form of air exhaustion system. They're cutting a few hundred steerers each year and the dust will stay in the room.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Peacock coverage of TDU is really well done this year. More motos, air coverage etc. Catching up on ladies now. Subscription is cheap too.....at least on Direct TV in U.S.
So happy to see road racing starting up this year.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Never cheer before you know who is winning

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

TobinHatesYou wrote:
C36 wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:37 pm
All the teams have now presented their kits and we saw some presentation pictures with questionable looks (Koga bike and initial new Look xxxl pictures).
In the mes time the female team FDJ-Suez kills it with amazing pictures of an already very nice kit quite another level!

Jersey looks a bit bunched up in the second pic. ;)

The Xelius SL is a wonderful looking bike in small-medium sizes. I almost considered importing one despite my unreasonable stance on BB86.
I did the same last year looking for a rim frame, but nope! It is indeed a good looking bike. Watching it on TV right now, and La Pierre was kind of considered a lower-rung brand until recently? Your stance on 86 is indeed unreasonable. Next time you see me going North stop and I will show you how wide and smooth they can be!

Never cheer before you know who is winning

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

wheelbuilder wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:08 am
Peacock coverage of TDU is really well done this year. More motos, air coverage etc. Catching up on ladies now. Subscription is cheap too.....at least on Direct TV in U.S.
So happy to see road racing starting up this year.

At the beginning of TdF, I upgrade my Peacock from free to the $5 per month plan for one month, which lets me watch on web and mobile app.. Then go back to free for rest of year, unless I want to watch another race they cover, such as Vuelta.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tarmackev

by tarmackev

eins4eins wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:44 am
The shop is so professional and high performance, that i would've expected a steerer cutting station with some form of air exhaustion system. They're cutting a few hundred steerers each year and the dust will stay in the room.
In all the shops ive ever worked I've never seen on of these. Ive been in and out of shops since 91 and dont ever recall such a thing.