2023 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

MvdP spitting at spectators in an XC race isn't a particularly good look.

https://x.com/OutOfCycling/status/17411 ... 97312?s=20

I don't care if they boo him, he is a professional athlete and should behave like one. I hope he receives a ban or fine of some sort.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

maquisard wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:09 pm

I don't care if they boo him, he is a professional athlete and should behave like one. I hope he receives a ban or fine of some sort.
agreed.. booing goes with the territory. He should be able to suck that up. Spitting is beyond bad..unless they spit at him first.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

maquisard

by maquisard

As much as i respect MvdP for the incredible athlete that he is, he does seem to have the 'Moscons' about him in terms of his personaiity. Be that assaulting children in a hotel, barging Degenkolb into a ditch at PR and now spitting at spectators. There is a pretty unpleasant trend emerging.

Attermann

by Attermann

maquisard wrote:

there are reports that they threw beer and other things on him, so that is completely so he is well in his rights, those people aren't true fans anyway and should stay away, and i think you mean CX.

maquisard

by maquisard

No one is within their rights to spit at another human being, no matter how much they are provoked.

Ferry

by Ferry

Would you like people to throw a beer glass full of urine while racing your bike? In the old days some cyclo crossers would stop and throw a punch.

Those "spectators" shouldn't be there. This has nothing to do with the sport.

maquisard

by maquisard

My wife is an Emergency Department consultant - she gets spat at, has been punched and often gets verbally abused. It is awful at times the stories she tells me. But she treats those people no matter what, she is a professional and knows that no mater what is thrown at her she has to take the high ground. If she didn't she would lose her medical registration and also her own self respect.

MvdP is supposed to be a professional as well, he should conduct himself in that way.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

maquisard wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:28 pm
No one is within their rights to spit at another human being, no matter how much they are provoked.
No one is within their rights to throw beer over another human being, even if he is beating their favourite rider.
My wife is an Emergency Department consultant - she gets spat at, has been punched and often gets verbally abused. It is awful at times the stories she tells me. But she treats those people no matter what, she is a professional and knows that no mater what is thrown at her she has to take the high ground. If she didn't she would lose her medical registration and also her own self respect.

MvdP is supposed to be a professional as well, he should conduct himself in that way.
Good for her, but MvdP doesn't have a medical licence to lose.

maquisard

by maquisard

Perhaps then his self respect to lose, but he had lost that already when he pushed his way into the room of some teenage girls and started acting aggresively towards them in Austrailia.

Bondurant

by Bondurant

He was pushed into Degenkolb. But you know that.

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

I'm not sure that if i take urine to my local hospital and start spraying it at personnel that no one will knock me to the ground.

Maybe someone can try it, i wont :lol:

covfefe

by covfefe

maquisard wrote:

What did he say about it in the postrace interview? They switched to dutch, when he got asked about it.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Here is a translation of the dutch interview

"What happened? Nothing," he initially remained vague. "It's about a bunch of booers. I'm done with that too. It happened continuously today, during the warm up already."

"Then you better stay at home. I've had it with that boo call. What they shouted? You better ask them that yourself. I won't repeat it."

"It certainly doesn't belong in the sport, for no one. After a while it's been enough, for me too."

Van der Poel was fined 250 Swiss francs for the incident.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

MDVP needs thicker skin.. if it was just boos and insults.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault