2023 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

smartyiak

by smartyiak

zirxo wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:29 am
He looks healthy and happy. I don't get why anyone has to comment on his weight like it wouldn't change when he's no longer required to be as lean as humanly possible...
Yep. He looks like...well...what more people could/should look like.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pastronef

by pastronef

first time in 30 years, since I follow cycling, that no WT nor pro-conti teams wear GIRO helmets. quite incredible for the brand not having a sponsored team

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

pastronef wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:37 pm
first time in 30 years, since I follow cycling, that no WT nor pro-conti teams wear GIRO helmets. quite incredible for the brand not having a sponsored team
That is quite striking, especially considering that they have just launched a new flagship helmet with the Aries.

maquisard

by maquisard

Nairo Quintana is shortly about to retire, sad to see.

Although he undoubtedly took the Tramadol. He did not commit a WADA anti-doping violation.

Others have done worse.

kervelo

by kervelo

pastronef wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:37 pm
It seems that the Canyon-SRAM women's continental team still continues with Giro.

https://www.giro.com/inside-giro/who-we-are/team.html

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:20 pm
UpFromOne wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:23 pm
robbosmans wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:55 pm
MvdP having back issues again is worrying
Apparently his father had unresolved back issues throughout his career.
So a genetic component of some kind?
But you'd think physio today is so much better.
Hopefully it's just water on a fireball and won't limit his potential.
As a fan, this is what I was afraid of. Spinal issues usually get worse, not better. There may be some good periods, but I fear we may have seen the best of MVP. Fingers crossed I'm wrong.
Benidorm was excellent. Some incredible last lap heroics. MVP's performance increases the hope for more great battles with WVA in the future.

Pidcock finished fifth behind Iserbyt and Sweek. Would have thought the course suited him quite well. Never seen him in the same league as the big two. The "three kings" of CX thing that commentators throw around is obnoxious. More like two kings and a prince? Or perhaps two kings and a knave on this day.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

AJS914

by AJS914

maquisard wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:46 pm
Nairo Quintana is shortly about to retire, sad to see.

Although he undoubtedly took the Tramadol. He did not commit a WADA anti-doping violation.

Others have done worse.
There's a cloud over him with the police raids the year before. His denials and appeals over the tramadol are making him look like one of the last generation's dopers - guilty or not.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:31 pm
Pidcock finished fifth behind Iserbyt and Sweek. Would have thought the course suited him quite well. Never seen him in the same league as the big two. The "three kings" of CX thing that commentators throw around is obnoxious. More like two kings and a prince? Or perhaps two kings and a knave on this day.
Pidcock is already deep into classics prep mode. I'm guessing he's in the middle of a big training block right now and only added this to his schedule because it's next door to wherever (Calpe or Sierra?) he's based in the runup to road season. That he was repeatedly dropped on the climb pretty much guarantees he was carrying some serious fatigue IMO.

Agree that the 'big 3' is a bit of a stretch, like the tennis 'big 4' with Andy Murray included used to be... but while Pidcock isn't quite a match for the other two he's clearly still a level ahead of the entire rest of the field on most days so I can understand it

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnwwEgkuC3D/

What is Ashton Lambie training for if he can do 450W/20min in that aero position on a trainer with insufficient cooling. And also at 83rpm.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Olympic or at least world champs TT?
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

CustomMetal wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:17 pm

A bit early to be peaking for the Paris Olympics, I think!

Looks like Lambie would have to do 430W/60min with a 0.16m^2 CdA to approach Ganna's hour record.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:16 pm
CustomMetal wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:17 pm
A bit early to be peaking for the Paris Olympics, I think!

Looks like Lambie would have to do 430W/60min with a 0.16m^2 CdA to approach Ganna's hour record.
Looks like all he'd have to do is shave.

Frolle

by Frolle

In all of the pictures of Cavendish in the Astana kit he is not wearing any sunglasses. I guess there might still some issues with his personal relationship with Oakley and Astana’s sunglass sponsor.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Sunglasses, shoes and (in an ideal world) saddles should be rider choice IMHO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ianeire

by ianeire

There was a stat thrown out on commentary over one of the Xmas cx races, so I'll give it the benefit of doubt that it's true, and while Pidcock might've beaten WVA in a cx race and vdP in a cx race, any time all 3 have lined up together he has never won.