2023 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MilesG813

by MilesG813

ave wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:55 pm
What is aas?
Anabolic androgenic steroids
2022 Specialized S-Works SL7 I Ultegra R8170 I Princeton Carbonworks 6560
2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 I 105 R5700 I Zipp 404s

Stendhal

by Stendhal

[/quote]
But the biggest risk factors are AAS and EPO, and, it's postulated, more so in a cocktail together. Both cause endofibrosis.
[/quote]

Yikes, that's a scary cocktail!
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

RDY wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:23 pm
But the biggest risk factors are AAS and EPO, and, it's postulated, more so in a cocktail together. Both cause endofibrosis.

:roll:

Louis :)

LOWIEV

by LOWIEV

Arnaud De Lie, remember the name.
3 races 2 wins this year. 20 years old.
Tom Boonen says he is a mix of himself and Phil Gilbert.
This kid is going places!

RDY

by RDY

LouisN wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:38 am
RDY wrote:

:roll:

You can pretend all you want, as can the sports media - who claimed for years that it was a mystery why such vast numbers of athletes were getting mononucleosis (again EPO - and blood doping). But they cause a multitude of vascular irregularities including endofibrosis, and are and were very prevalent in professional cycling.

basilic

by basilic

RDY wrote:
the biggest risk factors are AAS and EPO, and, it's postulated, more so in a cocktail together. Both cause endofibrosis.
Would you give us a source for this statement?
I didn't find any of this in a quick search on Pubmed. Cycling on the other hand... most people with this problem are cyclists, or triathletes. An occasional runner or soccer player.

RDY

by RDY

basilic wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:58 pm
RDY wrote:
the biggest risk factors are AAS and EPO, and, it's postulated, more so in a cocktail together. Both cause endofibrosis.
I didn't find any of this in a quick search on Pubmed. Cycling on the other hand... most people with this problem are cyclists, or triathletes. An occasional runner or soccer player.
Just use google.

basilic

by basilic

right, google, I'm sure it'll link your own statement above...

if you run this search on Pubmed.gov ("anabolic androgenic steroids" OR erythropoietin) AND "iliac artery endofibrosis"
you get "no results were found". But there might be unpublished results, that's why I asked you.

jever98

by jever98

basilic wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:01 pm
right, google, I'm sure it'll link your own statement above...

if you run this search on Pubmed.gov ("anabolic androgenic steroids" OR erythropoietin) AND "iliac artery endofibrosis"
you get "no results were found". But there might be unpublished results, that's why I asked you.
I came across this: https://econtent.hogrefe.com/doi/10.102 ... 26/a000909
----
No longer in the industry

basilic

by basilic

Hey, thanks jever98.
I quote the relevant paragraph from the article:
Unfortunately, within a professional and high-performance sports framework the question about possible association of endofibrosis and abuse of illicit performance-enhancing drugs is apparent. Although, there is a lack of randomized-controlled evidence-based information concerning vascular effects of doping, many theories remain hypothetical. Nevertheless, the authors of this review consider the topic of doping to be important in this context. As a matter of fact, anabolic-androgenic steroids (AAS) have multiple effects on the cardiovascular system [22]. Therefore, elevated erythropoiesis due to supraphysiologic testosterone application may lead to augmented blood viscosity [23]. In combination with steroid-induced psoas muscle hypertrophy shear stress to the iliac artery vessel wall might be accentuated. Appropriately, Khaira et al. documented a case of external iliac endofibrosis in a bodybuilder who ingested androgenic anabolic steroids [24]. Furthermore, assuming exercise induced microtrauma to the vasculature, also systemic effects of the erythropoiesis inducing peptide-hormone erythropoietin (EPO) are debatable. Particularly, external iliac artery endofibrosis predominantly affects high-performance cyclists. Therefore, Reddy et al. reported induction of excessive neointima formation in injured carotid arteries of rats after intraperitoneal administration of EPO (5,000 IE/kg) [25]. Also in mice, EPO seems to accelerate smooth muscle cell-rich neointima formation [26]. Finally, the combination of EPO and AAS may promote the development of iliac artery endofibrosis.

So the cited studies:
22 is a general review of steroids and the CV system
23 is about blood viscosity, which hasn't much to do woth the structure of the vessels
24 is a case-report, 1 person taking anabolic steroids
25 and 26 are rat studies of response to an experimental vascular injury while on EPO

So it looks like people are interested in these topics, but we're not quite there yet

Aeo

by Aeo

Epstein-Barr virus is another one of the blood doping illnesses
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

LouisN

by LouisN

I suggest some of you guys interested by such (otherwise very interesting) discussions open a "I found this on the internet and therefore..." thread.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Interesting post from basilic

skinnybex

by skinnybex

Arnaud De Lie is going to win a Monument before he turns 22, this kid is the real deal and his size, power and instincts are Impressive to say the least.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

basilic wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:58 pm
RDY wrote:
I also was unaware of suggest link with PED's. But I'll throw in a data point and hey, it will be on the internet. I have Illiac Artery Endofibrosis and I have never knowingly ( :P ) taken performance enhancing drugs. It's damn nuisance if you want to hold high power. After about 10 - 15 minutes at 300 - 350 watts the left leg starts to scream. I can keep pushing but it doesn't feel great. If I give it a few minutes rest I can go again. But if I overdo it, I risk some serious muscle spasms. One spasm resulted in a quadracep rupture :shock: . Top end sprint power seems unaffected. And I can ride all day at more moderate effort which is mostly what I want from the sport. Left quad is 6 cm smaller than right. Too damn old to make the surgery worthwhile.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com