2023 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

stoney

by stoney

Lelandjt wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:05 am
What say the experts of WW about chain lubing from a car during a race?
That SRAM chain is way slower than a Shimano chain...they have to lube it mid race for him to have a chance to win. :wink:

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

jcrr wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:18 am
Lelandjt wrote:
That has been seen many times on stages of big tours. Far from an expert, but that was so oh-so-next-level-pro, given how late in the race it came (ie., getting the bike as close to 100% ready for a sprint). The follow-up question may be 'how late in a race should that be allowed?'
It used to be seen a lot, back in the day. But, with the advances that have been made in the last 30 years, it is unnecessary. I wouldn't be surprised if the rule change was made to remove excessive cars next to riders. E3 wasn't run off in bad weather, so if his bike's chain needed relubing after only 220km of riding it suggests the mechanics have not done their job properly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:47 am
Karvalo wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:24 am
maquisard wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:25 pm
If Pogacar had intelligence he would be unbeatable.
It's a really hard route for Pogacar to win these races - he has to drop the other two somewhere and get to the line on his own. If you can figure out a way for that to happen without him attacking then kudos to your incredible tactical brain.

Actually lol at the idea of a 65kg Pogacar getting the jump on, then staying away from these particular two ~75kg riders working in tandem…in a flat finish.
I dunno, the immutable laws of chase group psychology say it's better to be one leader than two chasers because there's no one to sit up and look at. How heavy were the riders that 50kg Pidcock held off at Strade?

But the point about the parcours is dead on. That the attacks didn't work doesn't mean they were mistimed, the opposition was too strong and the course suited them better. If Maq's advice could make Pog unbeatable on a day like that then teams should be beating his door down to hire as a DS.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dont-k ... e3-finale/
The UCI regulations state that "the greasing of chains from a moving vehicle shall be forbidden" with the punishment for the rider being a fine and "elimination or disqualification".
I don't know whether there is a translation issue, or which language prevails for UCI rules interpretation. Nevertheless, based on this language, presumably WVA's re-lubing was o.k. provided the chain was lubed with something other than grease. So pretty much any chain lube should be o.k.

Anyhow, to the powers that be at the UCI, enforce whatever the rules are. If the rules are stupid, change them. if the wording of the rule is screwed up, fix it.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

HammerTime2 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:59 pm
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dont-k ... e3-finale/
The UCI regulations state that "the greasing of chains from a moving vehicle shall be forbidden" with the punishment for the rider being a fine and "elimination or disqualification".
I don't know whether there is a translation issue, or which language prevails for UCI rules interpretation. Nevertheless, based on this language, presumably WVA's re-lubing was o.k. provided the chain was lubed with something other than grease. So pretty much any chain lube should be o.k.
Lubrication oil translated into French is huile de graissage and graissage means lubrication using grease or oil. Pretty sure it means any lubrication. Strictly speaking, WVA should have been DQ'd.
Anyhow, to the powers that be at the UCI, enforce whatever the rules are. If the rules are stupid, change them. if the wording of the rule is screwed up, fix it.
Agreed

netromsa

by netromsa

ultimobici wrote:
jcrr wrote:
Lelandjt wrote:
That has been seen many times on stages of big tours. Far from an expert, but that was so oh-so-next-level-pro, given how late in the race it came (ie., getting the bike as close to 100% ready for a sprint). The follow-up question may be 'how late in a race should that be allowed?'
It used to be seen a lot, back in the day. But, with the advances that have been made in the last 30 years, it is unnecessary. I wouldn't be surprised if the rule change was made to remove excessive cars next to riders. E3 wasn't run off in bad weather, so if his bike's chain needed relubing after only 220km of riding it suggests the mechanics have not done their job properly.
It rained during the start and like 30 minutes into the race there was a huge downpour as well.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-S918B met Tapatalk

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

netromsa wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:32 pm
It rained during the start and like 30 minutes into the race there was a huge downpour as well.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-S918B met Tapatalk
Still sounds like the mechanic hadn't lubed the chain properly.

maquisard

by maquisard

Given this is TJV who are more marginal gains than even Ineos. I doubt that very much

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

maquisard wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:31 pm
Given this is TJV who are more marginal gains than even Ineos. I doubt that very much
Are TJV mechanics infallible? No. They are human.

Miller

by Miller

Could be wrong but do I recall the UCI making some noises about it being dangerous for mechanics to be hanging way out of cars for on-the-move maintenance?

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

ultimobici wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:51 pm
jcrr wrote:
Lelandjt wrote:
...with the advances that have been made in the last 30 years, it is unnecessary. ...if his bike's chain needed relubing after only 220km of riding it suggests the mechanics have not done their job properly.
Right? I was imagining Josh from Silca seeing this and berating their lack of a chain spa.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Miller wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:52 pm
Could be wrong but do I recall the UCI making some noises about it being dangerous for mechanics to be hanging way out of cars for on-the-move maintenance?
Especially in light of the recent issues with motos in the peloton. Race traffic has gone up exponetially since the 80s & 90s.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

ultimobici wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:40 pm
maquisard wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:31 pm
Are TJV mechanics infallible? No. They are human.
Actually, I remember workingon a Team Radioshack bike direct from the team in 2011. It wasn't that well maintained.

maquisard

by maquisard

Oh dear...

AJS914

by AJS914

Personally, I don't think the UCI should respond to infractions posted on social media after the race. Kristin Faulkner shouldn't have been DQ'd after the fact for wearing a plastic disc that wasn't displaying data or helping her win the race and WVA shouldn't be DQ'd because of some post on social media.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com