2023 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Karvalo wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 11:47 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 11:05 pm
They went super-experimental with an XPLR setup as well, so not a configuration they're used to running.
Not really experimental when it's a standard setup well within the manufacturer's standards.

The first year I ran 1x on a gravel bike (over plenty of heinous terrain) the only chain drop I got was on a totally smooth bit of road when a random stone or bit of stick flicked up, got caught between the chain and the chainring and levered it off. Random shit happens, what can you do?
As in an experiment for them. They surely aren't as familiar with setting up XPLR as they are with a normal 2x combo.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 11:53 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 11:47 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 11:05 pm
They went super-experimental with an XPLR setup as well, so not a configuration they're used to running.
Not really experimental when it's a standard setup well within the manufacturer's standards.

The first year I ran 1x on a gravel bike (over plenty of heinous terrain) the only chain drop I got was on a totally smooth bit of road when a random stone or bit of stick flicked up, got caught between the chain and the chainring and levered it off. Random shit happens, what can you do?
As in an experiment for them. They surely aren't as familiar with setting up XPLR as they are with a normal 2x combo.
Right, but there's no magic sauce, is there? You don't need any secret, esoteric knowledge handed down from father to son.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

maquisard wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 11:49 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 11:39 pm
Whole lotta shoulda woulda coulda in the way, but looks like...
:noidea:
Not quite the right wording. I meant if Remco was still in the race, everything might have played out differently up to this point.

maquisard

by maquisard

Ah, understand now, and yes agree. The weather also had a massive effect as well in the first weeks.

I think both Thomas and Roglic were saving themselves for the last week. I don't think Remco would have done this

bilwit

by bilwit

lot of hypotheticals like if Remco tried to gut it out as-is I think he would have lost it. Had he never gotten sick in the first place then the Stage 9 TT margin would have been a lot bigger and I think he would have held on

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

bilwit wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 1:01 am
lot of hypotheticals like if Remco tried to gut it out as-is I think he would have lost it. Had he never gotten sick in the first place then the Stage 9 TT margin would have been a lot bigger and I think he would have held on
impossible to know... there was tons of shit weather still left and he was ill. Could have gone way south very easy.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

MichaelB

by MichaelB

maquisard wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 4:36 pm
What a finish - it looked like Roglic had blown up with 200m to go, but he came back and took 3s on Thomas.

Having said that, I cannot see Rogic beating Thomas in the TT tomorrow - but it is the final TT of a GT so anything can happen!
And it did.

And then some !!

Stendhal

by Stendhal

There are many heroes of this Giro and a subtle one I see is Ilan Van Wilder, who stuck it out despite his Soudal Quick Step team's decimation to finish 13th today and 12th overall. Chapeau.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Stendhal wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 6:21 am
There are many heroes of this Giro
When you add it all up, Derrick Gee's performance IMO is the most extraordinary of this Giro. Nobody spent more time pushing hard on the pedals. And had he managed a victory or two (which he nearly did), he could have won both the points and mountain jerseys. Not bad for his first year on the road full time.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

maquisard wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 4:43 pm
robbosmans wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 4:26 pm
Wait can you do puppy pose during road bike tts?
That's a very good question, presumably yes?
Correct. Puppy paws are allowed in TTs.

https://archive.uci.org/docs/default-so ... ety-en.pdf (page 17)

Good knowledge of the rules by Roglic and a superior ride, kept his cool and smashed it out. Did he toss his radio a few minutes before his mechanical (looks like he tossed a blue object away)?

Gutted for G, but if a GC rider wins overall without claiming a stage I'd be diasappointed.

Team leaders aside, who out of Ineos, TJV and UAE, looks to have the better mountain domestiques going into the Tour?

otnemem

by otnemem

maquisard wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 8:09 pm
otnemem wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 7:57 pm
Geraint was in great form just yesterday. There's no good argument for him being on a downwards slope.
It's the third week of a GT and he is the oldest GC rider by several years. That is a pretty good argument.

Anything can happen in the final days of a GT, everyone exists on a knife-edge of managing fatigue and recovery.

I would also say the course favoured Roglic, I don't think Thomas would have lost as much time on a TT up a more consistant gradient.
Sure, that could be it, but the previous evening they were basically level.

Looking at the time splits he seems to steadily (but brutally) start losing time after the 2nd time check so possibly coming out too hard to match the competition. And the competition had a nuclear power day.

LouisN

by LouisN

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 6:56 am
Stendhal wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 6:21 am
There are many heroes of this Giro
When you add it all up, Derrick Gee's performance IMO is the most extraordinary of this Giro. Nobody spent more time pushing hard on the pedals. And had he managed a victory or two (which he nearly did), he could have won both the points and mountain jerseys. Not bad for his first year on the road full time.
He would definitely deserve the "super combattif" of this Giro !

Louis :)

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Zana deserves a mention in my opinion too. All in all, brilliant Giro despite the disappointments during the second week.

About Ineos… marginal losses?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

XCProMD wrote:Zana deserves a mention in my opinion too.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
What for? Services to sticky bottles? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Does anyone know when the rules on bike changes were relaxed? I was under the impression that bike changes in road stages were only per permitted for mechanical reasons.

Also, talking of bike changes, wouldn’t it be better to apply the same rules to TT stages so riders had to make a decision before the start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk