RIM BRAKE FRAMES = OBSOLETE!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

DEADRE

by DEADRE

Hi Everyone,

It seems with out fail the cycling industry is pushihng forward with disc brake frames & in actuality forcing all the consumer to have no option but to go in this direction.
If you look at all the bicycle brands, all are selling disc, and perhaps here and there rim brake frames from last season.

What I would like to address is, what will happen to all the rim brake frames? Many of us are content with some of our rim brake frames that there is no need to purchase the latest model. How many of you planned on riding that rim brake till it falls apart? How many bikes do you have on your stable that has many years to it's name? How many of you still have a new old stock frame that you had planned on building or that dream frame that you finally got your hands on, but will never come to fruition as the issue at hand?
Well by the looks it, when the disc started rolling out, bike manufacturers has stopped making rim brake wheels (yes this was address on a previous topic) if that goes, so as the Groupsets as well (perhaps Campagnolo will hold out,till the $$$ says it is no longer sustainable).
Think about it, when you sell off your rim brake frames, no one is interested, as there will be no new parts to build it up with and no new spare parts for the up keep.

One thing is certain, the fix gear community does not have to worry about this!

= Please, keep your comments on the following:
== On how disc stops on a dime during on a rainy day. No one is asking pros & cons of it!
== On how innovation must pave the way for the future (down tube shifters vs. ergo shifters, yes this makes sense)

warthog101

by warthog101

There is still demand for rim brake bikes and components.
It isn't going to be impossible to buy components or bikes in the near future.
Unconcerned personally.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I just got a set of recently updated top of the line wheels (Hyper 40/50mm) that fit perfectly on my DM rim brake bike, but there weren't a ton of options. My only gripe is I feel like with a couple more years of developement they could have made an even lighter and/or more aero DM rim brake frame than my Transonic SL.

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

DEADRE wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:51 am
What I would like to address is, what will happen to all the rim brake frames?
Nothing - they still survive just fine. It's still extremely easy to buy replacement parts for all things rim brake, assuming you're not too fussy about getting like-for-like (e.g. I don't expect to be able to buy Dura Ace 9000 levers easily forever, but 11 speed rim-brake shifters will be around in some form for years to come).

Good rim brake parts will still be easily available for at least the next 20 years, and even now the Chinese are innovating with new and interesting options - there's plenty more to come.

While it seems inevitable that few new groupsets will be made for mechanical, rim-brake setups, that's hardly a bike deal. If you're the type of person that is sticking with rim brakes, I'd hazard a guess that you're not busting for a 12-speed groupset either.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Wow, how about that Messi goal. Argentina are the best team in the world for sure. Anybody know where I can buy a cheap refrigerator?

Campyforever

by Campyforever

11 Shimano will only be around until the inventory is sold out.... 9200 may be it for rim brake groupos as
in the upper tier, I am only seeing Pinarello, Time and Look making rim brake frames- certainly there are more but
not much more in the non-custom world. It is barely worth the effort.
My point? Stock up!

inertianinja

by inertianinja

As tired as this topic is I haven't *personally* participated in a thread so here goes

I was super against disc brakes, especially hydraulic (yay liquid on the bike), figuring my rim brake bike was fine. Also I had mechanical disc brakes on my old electric scooter that s-u-c-k-e-d and i couldn't imagine wanting to deal with that BS on my bike. i resisted the change until last year. Then I got a Factor Ostro and tried hydraulic disc brakes for real, and holy crap if they aren't worlds better than my rim brake bikes. Nearly sent myself over the bars on the first ride because i was used to pulling harder.

Now i feel like those guys on bikeforums who are still talking about how they don't trust carbon bikes for like 2 decades and then finally buy one and love it.

manystyles

by manystyles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

I'm stalking eBay etc looking for nice rim brake frames going for cheap. For example, over here in Oz, there's a Scott Addict Team Issue frame and fork going for $800. Shame it's a 56, but you get the idea....
Kurt

s3si1u

by s3si1u

I'm not really worried...I still have plans to build my dream rim brake bike in the near future. I haven't stocked up any parts...not until I can sell one of my current bikes and make some room.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

manystyles wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:09 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Non - carbon AND rim brake, practically a death trap.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

IMHO rim brake high end bikes will return, for two reasons mostly - 1) to come back to pursuing lesser weight 2) to heat up demand once again

and then theres good old competing with lower prices - I bet at some point its gonna happen and *reintroducing* simpler=cheaper bikes is the item number one on the to do list for any company.

as for now we can enjoy some really crazy bargains while the herd still howls to the overpriced and over-everything market.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

jasjas

by jasjas

Rim will be obsolete just like 120mm spaced frames and friction shifters are, spares will be 2nd hand or NOS only, just as shimano don't sell 600 series rear mechs anymore.

Shame really but if i get another 10 or 15 years out of what i ve got, i m prob heading towards an E bike by then, thats if riding on the road hasn't been banned.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

inertianinja wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:19 pm
...and holy crap if they aren't worlds better than my rim brake bikes. Nearly sent myself over the bars on the first ride because i was used to pulling harder.
I don't get how this is "world's better." I can lock up the wheels with my rim brakes...that's as good as brakes need to be. I understand the pros of disc brakes (less over heating, better/longer life rims, arguably better modulation, etc.), but I don't see "lack of braking power on rim brakes" as one of them.

I've said it a million times: I don't live in the mountains, so I see no need for disc brakes; the negatives outweigh the positives. I bled my mtb brakes the other day. That took longer than the total time I've spent adjusting my rim brakes over the last 10years.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

smartyiak wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:43 pm
inertianinja wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:19 pm
...and holy crap if they aren't worlds better than my rim brake bikes. Nearly sent myself over the bars on the first ride because i was used to pulling harder.
I don't get how this is "world's better." I can lock up the wheels with my rim brakes...that's as good as brakes need to be. I understand the pros of disc brakes (less over heating, better/longer life rims, arguably better modulation, etc.), but I don't see "lack of braking power on rim brakes" as one of them.

I've said it a million times: I don't live in the mountains, so I see no need for disc brakes; the negatives outweigh the positives. I bled my mtb brakes the other day. That took longer than the total time I've spent adjusting my rim brakes over the last 10years.
I had the same thought initially, I can lock up rim brake bikes, how could disc be better? The "worlds better" for me was the very low amount of effort needed for the same braking power. I don't ride in the mountains - I'm in NYC, so panic braking is more important to me than the heat dissipation thing. being able to barely tap the brakes and get serious stopping power made me understand and be willing to deal with the disc brake maintenance BS.

I do agree that bleeding is annoying. Setting up my ostro with zero hydraulic experience was a pain, but after a few tries i got the hang of it. Still definitely more BS than i've had to do on rim brake bikes in years, but not the end of the world.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com