RIM BRAKE FRAMES = OBSOLETE!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jasjas wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:57 pm

Of course sales were the driving factor, rim bikes reached a pinacle in the last 5 or 6 years, there was no reason to change your bike out..., disk gave that reason, shift same or more units/greater cost.

But of course there are practical benefits, so what, thats not the argument, as for no adjustments needed.. really? i 've yet to find a wheelset i can put in my mtb that doesn't need re centering of the caliper if its a different hub make and thats before we get onto rotor size :D :shock:

No idea what spoon brakes are, before my time but obv not yours.

Look at any historical sales plot and try to identify the rim brake dip or disc brake bump. There is none. Most people buy new stuff because they get bored of their old stuff (until it becomes vintage.)

Rim brakes reached a pinnacle in the last 5-6 years? Lol. Rim brakes have been around for 130 years, dude. Electronic shifting going mainstream was a bigger epoch a decade ago.

Rotor shims exist. Perhaps learn to use them. You can also learn to consolidate behind certain rotor sizes for shared wheelsets.

People 15 years from now: No idea what rim brakes are, before my time.
—Even most young adults born after 2000 look at rim brakes like they’re audio cassette tapes or 5.25” floppy disks.

Flasher

by Flasher

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:08 pm
Most people buy new stuff because they get bored of their old stuff (until it becomes vintage.)
This is the driving factor here, discretionary spending (in the first world) has risen considerably in the past 30/40 years, and of course bike companies want their share too, bigger, faster, quicker, smaller, lighter, companies want to sell you stuff, why wouldn’t they, it's the sole reason they exist.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

jasjas wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:57 pm
But of course there are practical benefits, so what, thats not the argument, as for no adjustments needed.. really? i 've yet to find a wheelset i can put in my mtb that doesn't need re centering of the caliper if its a different hub make and thats before we get onto rotor size :D :shock:
The issue of misaliged hubs has been around in some way for an age. Freewheels that weren't exactly the same as each other, cassettes that didn't sit in exactly the same spot. I even have identical wheels that are not aligned the same so I have to fit a shim behind one cassette, despite everything being exactly the same! Disc brakes are no bigger pain.

Manufacturers are not forcing consumers to change to discs, consumers are chosing to change because they can see there are benefits to be had. There are always downsides to new tech. As thre number of speeds on freewheels increased, so the dish of the rear wheel was increased. We went from 120mm to 126mm and finally 130mm spaced hubs to aleviate this. As rims went from steel to alloy brake pads became softer to improve the braking. Rims were hard anodised to improve wear, then ceramic coated, then Mavic & Campag used their proprietary surface treatments to improve braking further. Carbon required us to think further ahead and use special pads. And on and on........ It's called progress.

torger

by torger

It's not just rim brakes that are obsolete:
* Mechanical shifting [on high end],
* Tubular tires and to some extent inner tubes
* Tires narrower than 25 mm, and even 25 mm may be on its way out
* External cable routing [on high end]
* Quick release (rather than thru axle)

The overall sad thing is that it's becoming a lot more expensive and complicated with higher end bikes, but I suppose it's natural. The same has happened with cars. Technically speaking the only thing I'm missing is mechanical shifting. It's not completely dead yet, but I think high end offers will disappear from the big three within a few years. Of course servo-actuated is better, but just as a find a truly mechanical watch beautiful I find a truly mechanical bike the same. Perhaps high end mechanical will survive in niche brands like rim brakes probably will live on too, with products like ee-brake etc.

I have a Colnago EPS rim brake from 2008 with Campagnolo Bora Ultra wheels, bought second hand. Amazing value. If I would buy a corresponding modern high end bike today it would be €10000, and to me there's not much it offers over what I have. Discs with its wider tire clearance have given us great all-road/gravel crossover bikes, so if I just could have one bike I would have a strong reason to upgrade, but as I have a separate gravel bike I can live with the old-school 25 mm tire limit on the road bike. I guess I will continue to stay 10-15 years behind, somehow I enjoy old-school high end gear more than modern mid range that would be the alternative for me.

Lina

by Lina

Why isn't Israel changing the entire bike like pretty much everyone else? And if they're changing the wheel then why do they not have through axles that can be easily operated by hand? Again this is stuff that isn't a problem unless you insist on making it a problem.

GaBa

by GaBa

It is written in the article that there was no team car behind him so he got "support" from neutral vehicle.

Lina

by Lina

It is also written in the article that after that he stopped again to change a wheel from team car. Also it's not like he lost anything there, it was ~40 km to go and the team car had already been cleared from between the break and peloton. Besides let's not kid ourselves here, he was getting caught anyway quite soon.

blutto

by blutto

TobinHatesYou wrote:

—Even most young adults born after 2000 look at rim brakes like they’re audio cassette tapes or 5.25” floppy disks.
....or vinyl records or reel-to-reel tape....

Cheers

whinefields

by whinefields

blutto wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:22 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:

Cheers
While reel-to-reel tape has definitely gone the way of the dodo, vinyl records have been making a comeback (at least in the United States). People bought 43 million last year, the seventeenth year in a row sales went up. So if rim brakes are anything like vinyl, hold onto your rim brakes because in a few years they'll be worth something...

But more to the point, I don't find rim brake bikes to be obsolete at all. When the weather's nice, there's nothing I prefer riding more than my SL6. I absolutely love it.

blutto

by blutto

whinefields wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:28 am
blutto wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:22 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:

Cheers
While reel-to-reel tape has definitely gone the way of the dodo,
Actually still a fave medium for music reproduction among those who pursue the mythical absolute sound ....music reproduction on a good machine @ 15 ips in a ne plus ultra system is pretty amazing and @ 30 ips simply mind blowing....read, they still operate in a realm where performance is king and fashion and advert driven narratives be damned ...just sayin' eh...

Cheers

flying

by flying

I sometimes wonder if the next "thing" to generate more $$$ will be the carbon disc like F1 or Moto GP

I was thinking it could be ironically funny because IMO really what set the whole disc brake move in motion was....
Folks wanted to emulate the Pro's & ride carbon wheels.

They then complained stopping on that slippery carbon surface with "rim brake pads"
was a problem that needed a whole new heavier more expensive bike to solve instead of curing the
carbon wheel's braking surface or pad materials etc

So it could be funny if they next go carbon disc & again find a new but similar problem that of course will
require $$$ to fix :lol: History repeating itself :noidea:

warthog101

by warthog101

Sure carbon discs on a bicycle, as they are so needed to cope with the heat generated by all that weight as we slow from 300+ kmh repetitively.

Disc brakes offer no advantage over rim brakes when wet no matter the rim material either. Also sounds very plausible.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

warthog101 wrote:Sure carbon discs on a bicycle, as they are so needed to cope with the heat generated by all that weight as we slow from 300+ kmh repetitively.
LOL. No point on a bike.
Disc brakes offer no advantage over rim brakes when wet no matter the rim material either. Also sounds very plausible.
Really? Try descending off a mountain in the rain on discs and then see if you can descend at the same rate on rim brakes and carbon rims. I know which I’d prefer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

warthog101

by warthog101

I think you may have misinterpreted my post ;)