Recs for rear light that sits under saddle

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Evening all

As the title suggests, could I get some recommendations for rear lights that fix to the saddle rails. No set budget, just good quality and recommendations from personal experience please.

Many thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Saddle rail go pro mount + Bontrager Ion

kervelo

by kervelo

No experience of this particular light, but based on the experience of other Lupine products:
https://www.lupine.de/products/tail-lights/c14-mag/

bobones

by bobones

Garmin Varia. Fantastic light and stunning radar. Plenty of inexpensive saddle mounts available. I've had one for over 4 years, and it's easily the most indispensable piece of cycling equipment I've ever bought.

warthog101

by warthog101

bobones wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:28 pm
Garmin Varia. Fantastic light and stunning radar. Plenty of inexpensive saddle mounts available. I've had one for over 4 years, and it's easily the most indispensable piece of cycling equipment I've ever bought.
Ditto. Only had mine a couple of years though.
Won't ride without it now.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

My exposure rear light attaches to the saddle rails with the under seat mount. The mount only costs circa £5

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

kervelo wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:57 pm
No experience of this particular light, but based on the experience of other Lupine products:
Go with the Lupine Rotlicht or go for an Exposure light - either the TraceR or the new Boost rear light.

The Rotlicht is very nice though it doesn't have the odd flashing patterns that the newer lights have - the kind of pseudo-random pulsing that Bontrager pioneered with the Flare rear light.

The Lupine seat rail mount is a little more robust that the Exposure, though, which uses a heavy duty rubber band to hold a mount onto the rails. The whole thing comes off quite easily. Lupine go with a more permanent mount on the rails that the Rotlicht clips into. Both are pretty robust.

One thing - If you go with the Lupine, you will have to get a separate bracket to mount on the back of the light itself. That takes a minute or two to change with four small bolts. With the Exposure lights, there's no change to the light itself - only the mounts are different - and it takes no time to switch them between the seat rail mounts and their normal seat post mount.

kervelo

by kervelo

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:37 pm
kervelo wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:57 pm
Go with the Lupine Rotlicht...
This.

I have used Rotlicht for years and it is very nice. The quality of the Lupine lights is very high.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Rotlicht. (EDITED)

This is a great light. Solid performance, great fit.

I bought it exactly because it is designed for saddle rail.

Not cheap however.
Last edited by ghisallo2003 on Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:58 am
My exposure rear light attaches to the saddle rails with the under seat mount. The mount only costs circa £5 Image

Basso Diamante eps 12
I'm using the Exposure TraceR and a saddle rail mount. Nice and compact, rechargeable and easily seen.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Yep that's the one...has anyone had issues with that other light being felt under flexible saddles like the berk Lupina? As it looks like quite a substantial unit?

Basso Diamante eps 12

frostorama

by frostorama

No isssues with the Exposure light being felt under the saddle. It sits quite far away from the base of the saddle, you could even mount the light below the rails if you wanted. Build quality of Exposure lights is extremely high, mine have never failed me.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

My apologies I didn't mean the exposure one (I have this and its fine) I meant the other light mentioned in this thread

Basso Diamante eps 12

spartacus

by spartacus

+1 on the exposure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

One thing I didn't mention in my comparison between the Lupine and Exposure rail mounts is that, due to the orientation of their lights - horizontal tube vs vertical box for Lupine - the Exposure lights need more available seat rail to mount them.

If you have your saddle slammed forward on the rails, you might not have enough room to properly mount the Exposure TraceR or the new Boost. The Lupine Rotlicht seat rail mount requires a lot less real estate on the rails.