Used prices falling back to earth???

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm seeing good signs of this. I've had my eye out for an Tarmac SL6 for the last few years and prices on used ones have been insane. SL7s have been in short supply with a constant stream of price increases from Spec.

I just saw this sell - low mileage S-Works SL6, dura ace di2, roval clx50 wheels. sold for $3833 including shipping:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285055479367

Was originally a $10k bike. 38% for a clean low mileage bike is about what I was used to pre-pandemic.

I actually put bids on this mint condition Sagan edition SL6 but didn't get it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314248384607

I've been following these Sagan frames on ebay and I think the seller would have gotten at least $5k had they parted it out. Someone got a nice deal.

robertbb

by robertbb

The entire, enmeshed global economy is falling back to Earth. Next year will be very difficult for many around the world.

Bikes - new and old - are part of that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Yes, the world is falling apart. We can get that out of the way now and talk about bicycles.

I've had my eye on a new bike for a couple of years but held off due to zero availability and the extra high prices. Availability on new Tarmac SL7s is still very low. Even if I wanted to pay full price, I can't find a color size I'd want to own in an SL7 less than a 15 hour drive away from my house. I wouldn't mind a test ride either.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

it's no brainer - during the peak of price growth people would try to sell 2nd hand stuff asking insane amount of money just for kicks - they thought maybe someone's gonna be stupid enough, and I bet some made nice buck out of it. it's the same with cars, electronics, real estate even. I still see 2-3 y.o. high end bikes priced like at 80-90% of MSRP ;D although many sellers who actually want to sell, start pricing their bikes/gear "accordingly". IMHO we still gotta wait few months till all those speculators grow weary ;)
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

AJS914

by AJS914

Yes, I still see a lot of overpriced bikes but they don't seem to be selling.

I wonder if manufactuers will not bring back production to pre-covid levels to keep prices high. It seems crazy that 2 years later Specialized can't keep a Tarmac in stock. I guess their supply chain is still screwed up.

And there is still the 2 year backlog of demand from people like me that might have bought another bike with the right availability and deals.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Every year (though less and less) some good deals on EBay on end of November/early December....then February...

Louis :)