Outside Inc layoffs

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Karvalo

by Karvalo

maquisard wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:45 pm
If you read Wade Wallace's tweets -CT was profitable before he sold it to Outside. That situation will undoubtedly have been hurt by recent falls in online ad spending but I think the general understanding is that Outside have wrecked a viable business.
That's the thing eh. CT is a well established business that was clearly successful and sustainable at its current scale before the takeover. Problem is now that the site needs to be profitable against both its own running costs and the money that Outside borrowed to buy it. And the people who get shafted are those whose work made it a profitable, desireable business in the first place.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Various Outside financial failures certainly don’t help the situation…*cough* NFTs

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

Indeed, anyone who thought 'investing' in NFTs was a good idea is a fool!

LeDuke

by LeDuke

TobinHatesYou wrote:Various Outside financial failures certainly don’t help the situation…*cough* NFTs
Holy hell, really? The ol’ NFT ponzi?

It’s kind of amazing how many really dumb people find themselves with large amounts of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kode54

by kode54

I signed up way back just to support Dave Rome and James H.

Now, with Dave gone, I’d probably won’t read CT as much as I did…so I. Protest, I would unsubscribe. I forgot how and where I signed up…so if anyone can point me to how they unsubscribed, LMK.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

kode54 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:17 pm

Now, with Dave gone, I’d probably won’t read CT as much as I did…so I. Protest, I would unsubscribe. I forgot how and where I signed up…so if anyone can point me to how they unsubscribed, LMK.
at the bottom right of the page there is the red&black CT emblem circle.. click that

I just paid in August.. so. I have a long. way to go, but my cc card is removed
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Stendhal

by Stendhal

spdntrxi wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:08 pm
kode54 wrote:

at the bottom right of the page there is the red&black CT emblem circle.. click that

Thanks for the tip. Note that if you cancel, the cancellation is not effective until the next payment would be due, so you can read the site in the interim.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Weird. If the company is losing money, should they wait till all the money is gone, then shut it down or attempt to right a sinking ship? I think we all do this in our personal lives. When times get tough, we usually adjust the budget or get a second job.

Good workers just shift gears. I can say for certain, I've been fired at least three times. Every time I have, I increased my paycheck and enjoyed my job a bit better. I eventually retired at 52 and run a small business. I keep my expectations low, when the money is good, I save it, when the money is bad, I use that savings. Fortunately, I have never dove into my savings.

Give it a few weeks or months, good hard working people still rise to the top. The person who signs the pay check is different, that is all.

Canceling subscriptions are just going to make things worst for the other employees. Rarely ever does that change upper management.

maquisard

by maquisard

I work in the technology sector, specifically in the semiconductor industry. Like you I have been subject to lay-offs earlier in my career. When this happened the board of the company chose to maximise revenue and minimise opex. In the engineering world when this happens you lay-off expensive engineers like me and try to sell off as much as the current product as possible. It is an attempt to ride out the current financial difficulty at the expense of the future viability of the company.

Outside have done the same with their titles, get rid of key (and expensive) editorial staff who made CyclingTips what it is today and who steered it to it's current leadnig position in the cycling news space. That will reduce opex for a while but risks the future of the brand. You are right that good people rise to the top, but humans are a finite resource. If the people who previously focused on content creation are now also required to steer the company, then the overall product will suffer. I have never encountered a situation when this isn't the case.

spartan

by spartan

the issue with outside they own too many road based cycling web sites. velonews/cyclingtips/peloton ALL chasing the same ad revenue. they should have kept cycling tips and closed down the rest. instead of having one strong brand they have three dying websites.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spartan wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:33 pm
the issue with outside they own too many road based cycling web sites. velonews/cyclingtips/peloton ALL chasing the same ad revenue. they should have kept cycling tips and closed down the rest. instead of having one strong brand they have three dying websites.

Right, they didn't want CyclingTips. They wanted PinkBike. CyclingTips was just attached to the PinkBike sale. It's a shame they couldn't find someone else to take CT off their hands at the time of the sale.

kode54

by kode54

spdntrxi wrote:
kode54 wrote:

Thx for that. Like most websites, canceling a subscription involves some effort.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Contact veloclub@cyclingtips.com and ask them to cancel your membership immediately. They will give you a pro-rated refund.

kode54

by kode54

This is what I ended up doing. Got a friendly response the next day with pro-rated refund. Canceling on the website will just cancel the renewal.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

The future of cycling brands with Outside will probably end up as two titles: Velonews doing road/gravel/CX and Pinkbike doing MTB/adventure. And anyone with experience and a higher salary will be ousted. The venture capital hawks are slowly picking away the corpse of bike industry journalism.

In his early days at VeloNews I was not a big fan of Caley, but grew to tolerate and eventually enjoy his content and takes and I think his editorial direction at CT was the only thing keeping it from becoming Bicycling. He made an effort to try to remain unbiased by advertising on the site (along with James and Dave R).