Trivial cycling things annoy me?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Referring to a clincher tire as "open tubular" or even worse, just "tubular."

maurice1

by maurice1

New minor annoyance living rent free in my head: The brake pad screw on shimano calipers being flathead. *f##k* you Shimano. Leave that garbage in another century

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

tarmackev wrote:People who overly picky with position, say they can't possible ride a certain frame as its 3mm shorter and 3mm higher than the one they use.
How do they ride a mountain bike? TT bike?

I've ridden with picky world tour pro's who are less picky. It does seem a very current thing.

I also know this is me, i really dont have anything against folk who like an exact fit, I'm fully aware that there's nothing wrong with it all. As a 34 year roadie who's ridden many different positions over the years I'm the opposite end of the spectrum. It's a trivial thing that annoys me.
And yet… there is a very interesting article in Escape collective interviewing very senior fitters and they mention something I heard a long time ago… the position window before your body starts to compensate is very small.

As you say, you can ride and will adapt but that will imply your body to compensate.

Edit: link https://escapecollective.cc/things-bike ... ists-knew/

“The tolerances for pairing a human with a bicycle are actually quite small. It can be plus or minus 1.5 mm for saddle height, and 3 mm for saddle setback. I work with a wide range of clients, […] One rider could be 6’7″ (200 cm) vs another at 4’11” (150 cm) – sprinters to ballerinas – and we can still detect compensations as we deviate away from the optimal by as little as 3 millimetres.”

k33z

by k33z

And the funny thing is that all these fitters will fit the same person differently on the bike....

Lina

by Lina

Also the same fitter will fit persons with the same measurements differently based on their goals, how much they ride, etc.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Just seen a bike frame refered to as a "fuselage".
People seem to be getting bikes condused with aeroplanes.

Just googled "cockpit" and "Fuselage", no mention of bikes.

Whats next, cranks become turbo boosters, saddle becomes the cabin? Was going to say handlebars become the the joystick but theyre already the cockpit.
food and drink becomes "the service trolley".
It follows in with the "we were beating the crap out of each other" when racing somebody.... Nope, you werent beating each other up, you were just trying to push harder on the pedals.

Meh, grumpy morning.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Fit is funny, just swap your cranks and at same time swap insoles and there goes that.
Solestar made my posture change (+ the saddle goes higher) + the shorter crank.
In theory, my saddle height is higher than it should be. But if not, my ass isn't planted on the saddle.
Also, have you been riding different brands shoes? The Q factor is different on my shoes (don't know how much this matters for most).
But the less Q, the higher the saddle goes.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

C36 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 8:36 pm
And yet… there is a very interesting article in Escape collective interviewing very senior fitters and they mention something I heard a long time ago… the position window before your body starts to compensate is very small.

As you say, you can ride and will adapt but that will imply your body to compensate.

Edit: link https://escapecollective.cc/things-bike ... ists-knew/

“The tolerances for pairing a human with a bicycle are actually quite small. It can be plus or minus 1.5 mm for saddle height, and 3 mm for saddle setback. I work with a wide range of clients, […] One rider could be 6’7″ (200 cm) vs another at 4’11” (150 cm) – sprinters to ballerinas – and we can still detect compensations as we deviate away from the optimal by as little as 3 millimetres.”
Not denying a good fit is critical, but what would you expect someone who makes money moving saddles, cleats, etc. a millimeter or two to say? And is compensation for a couple of millimeters a bad thing? Without a HR monitor and power meter during the fit, how does the fitter know?
k33z wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 11:39 pm
And the funny thing is that all these fitters will fit the same person differently on the bike....
And this clever retort is the death knell to the whole idea of every millimeter matters.

I ride 5 different bikes, three see action at least once per week. Some have different saddles, some have different reach and drop, what am I compensating for? Love to see these fitters come up with data that supports one fit over another.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Tours starting at some different countries

AFAIK this tradition is stupid and completely pointless. it's one thing to run a stage partially abroad, it's completely another to have 2 or 3 stages few thousand miles away just for some unclear advertisement sake. TBH i seldom watch these opening stages - i tune in for Giro to watch Italy, not some random country that has literally nothing to do with the apennine peninsula, its geography, history, culture, people etc. and same thing goes for every other race.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

tymon_tm wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 4:29 pm

AFAIK this tradition is stupid and completely pointless. it's one thing to run a stage partially abroad, it's completely another to have 2 or 3 stages few thousand miles away just for some unclear advertisement sake. TBH i seldom watch these opening stages - i tune in for Giro to watch Italy, not some random country that has literally nothing to do with the apennine peninsula, its geography, history, culture, people etc. and same thing goes for every other race.
You might tune in to the Giro to watch Italy. However, there are a significant number of Italians watching who can be reached by the showing a different country as part of the Giro. They may be tuning in to see Italy, but are probably tuning in to see cycle racing.

maurice1

by maurice1

RTW wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 3:04 pm
tymon_tm wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 4:29 pm

You might tune in to the Giro to watch Italy. However, there are a significant number of Italians watching who can be reached by the showing a different country as part of the Giro. They may be tuning in to see Italy, but are probably tuning in to see cycle racing.
If italians want to see other countries they can watch other races. I'm all for a 50km loop in a neighboring country but having whole days of the giro in israel, the tour in denmark or similar is utter bullshit and only proves how much cash is king

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Wow. That's kind of strong. "Utter bullshit" - how do you describe something that really negatively affects you personally?

The point might be that Italians watch the big Italian race the most, so that's the best way to market to them. Much the same as most of the sponsors on the billboards around the Giro are aimed Italians. Yes, cash is king. Pro cycling is an advertising vehicle.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Some advertising vehicle, when you have no earthly idea what the sponsor companies even sell (until Inner Ring posts an article about them).

aerozy

by aerozy

Things I find annoying in cycling:
• Top must be when a non-cyclist stares at your bike for about 1min, proceeds to squeeze one of the tires, lifts the bike up and says “that’s light”, and then leans the bike completely unbalanced against a hard surface and scratches your 1000euro rear derailleur or crank.
• When you wave to a fellow cyclist and they don’t bother waving back
• When you pass a group of riders strolling along at 25kmh and then one of them proceeds to follow you (without taking turns) like a lost greyhound all the way home.
• General arrogance from roadies. Im a roady but please that doesn’t make me King of England.
• People that don’t wash their clothes after each ride (ive seen people ride the same jersey for an entire week).
• Squeaky chains. You don’t need to be a bike mechanic to lube a chain!
• When your travelling bike case comes back like it’s been dragged under a bus.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

Andrew69

by Andrew69

tarmackev wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:24 pm
People who boast about their FTP and sprint power, insist it's correct because it was recorded by their innacutae power meter.
I know one guy in particular with a 1650 sprint and 360 ftp who cant even get a result in a 4th cat race and is nowhere in sprints.
Every few months he'll write something on his instagram story like "ah to be fit again" with a pic of the figurs.

Christ, if i believed everything my power meters have said over the years id be winning stages in the tour with my 450ftp (in reality you can take 200 off that) and 3000 sprint (take 200 off this as well, I can believe 2800 for 10 seconds)

Too many folk I know (Generally 40+ and 80kg+) have these insane power figures they'll tell you about yet never show anything when they ride with others or race.
People that boast about FTP are like people that boast about money.

If you have to boast about it, then you dont have it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com