Trivial cycling things annoy me?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tarmackev

by tarmackev

"Cockpit"
The name "cockpit" for integrated handlebar and stem just winds me up, like people are saying their road bike is a fighter jet..... I know I need to chill but i cant help it.

I'm a roadie since 91 and I can be a little old school at times, but seriously? Cockpit, its a curly piece or carbon. Hopefully all cycle parts dont start with aeroplane names.

While I'm at it. When people are racing and they say "we were beating the crap out of each other". Why do they insist on using fighting parlance to make it seem more dramatic, it doesnt work the other way around.
You're just riding a bike, like running or rowing, you 100% are not beating the crap out of each other, you're just turning your legs as hard as you can...

I'll end it there.... F***ing Cockpit..... Hoping that just one person feels my pain...

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

So you just have an issue with some terminology. I don't. English is a very organic language, so expect terminology to be highly metaphoric and always adapting. Cockpit is a fair borrow from aviation - one word to take the place of two or more - makes sense.

And same thing for "beating the crap out of each other". There is just riding a bike and there is a full blown hammerfest with constant attacks. No actually kinetic violence but again a fair metaphor for tough competition. It does hurt after all.

FWIW I don't, or rarely use these expressions. Like you I am a bit more traditional and conservative (IOW - older :oops: ).
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blaugrana

by blaugrana

Completely agree on "cockpit". It's an analogy that doesn't even make sense, because if I understand it correctly, the cockpit in a plane is the whole enclosure where the pilot is, not only the controls.

But not too many years ago handlebars were cheap, and high end options were around 200€ (with most people and even pros riding much cheaper options). Then at some point the "cockpit" terminology came about, and now these things are three times the price.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

If it makes you feel any better, the term cockpit for aeroplanes comes from an old nautical term for the control station where the coxswain was posted. A coxwain was called that because they used to be in charge of the cockboat. The cockboat was called that because they were derived from very old boats called Cogs. Cogs were called that because they were round, loaded cargo boats that looked like small hills called (a very long time ago) cogges. In short, words mean things that are nothing like other things they also mean, and that's just language. Bike cockpits are nothing like aeroplane cockpits, but aeroplane cockpits are nothing like small round hills.

But also yeah, saying 'I spent a thousand dollars on my cool new cockpit' sounds better than admitting you spent that much on a stem and a bar. :P

Attermann

by Attermann

just like the word Brifters, god damn hate that, just call them shifters please.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Cockpit in aviation parlance was stolen from Roosters fighting so might want to unbundled your panties.

basilic

by basilic

at least it's aspirational.
In French it's potence for stem, = gibbet, and the curved handlebar is cintre, = hanger

kode54

by kode54

When you add a GPS computer to a bar/stem/shifters...i can see why its called a cockpit. I don't see anything wrong with it. When someone says cockpit on a bike, we all know what it is...not to be confused with any other part or section of the bike.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Lina

by Lina

The main function of language is to transmit a message to other people. And people are lazy. If there's an easier way to say something we'll figure it out pretty fast. "Integrated stem and handlebar" is not that, so people are going to come up with a new term for it. Cockpit is much easier to say and type and everyone knows instantly what you're talking about.

AJS914

by AJS914

The "pro" white shoe fetish bugs me. Also people asking what shoes so and so was wearing or if they changed shoes. I could honestly care less and completely fail to understand why this is a thing. Sunglasses are a close second. :-)

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:04 am
The "pro" white shoe fetish bugs me. Also people asking what shoes so and so was wearing or if they changed shoes. I could honestly care less and completely fail to understand why this is a thing. Sunglasses are a close second. :-)
I was considering making a "Cycling Fashion" board just so WW victims could talk about important topics like these, but, now you got me sweatin' and doubtin'

mrd

by mrd

A “stable” of bikes. I am sure it is not the collective noun for bikes.

As a Colnago owner myself, “Nago” really gets to me, as does “Colnago’s” as a plural.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

OnTheRivet wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:23 pm
Cockpit in aviation parlance was stolen from Roosters fighting so might want to unbundled your panties.
Actually it was stolen from nautical parlance, it's a small area where you could steer the boat from.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

How about "monstercross" when refering to a gravel bike, and "monstergravel" when referring to a mountain bike?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Attermann wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:19 pm
just like the word Brifters, god damn hate that, just call them shifters please.
I've been chastised for using that term (maybe by you?! lol)... :beerchug:

I like the term, but don't use it anymore because I don't want my hand digitally slapped.