Trivial cycling things annoy me?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MichaelK

by MichaelK

For 99% of the riders out there having a power meter is like hiring an accountant to tell you how poor you are.

(I have a power meter. I'm poor AF).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

MichaelK wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:58 am
For 99% of the riders out there having a power meter is like hiring an accountant to tell you how poor you are.

(I have a power meter. I'm poor AF).
:lol: that is precisely what i told a dude here asking me why i don't get one (he is a serious race dude).
I ride for fun, the less data i see the less i bully myself :shock: :lol:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

AJS914 wrote:The "pro" white shoe fetish bugs me. Also people asking what shoes so and so was wearing or if they changed shoes. I could honestly care less and completely fail to understand why this is a thing. Sunglasses are a close second. :-)
Have loved white shoes since Angel Arroyo used them in 84.

Not a cycling thing but still annoys the he’ll out of me is the mangling of the expression “I couldn’t care less.” ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

ultimobici wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:18 am
AJS914 wrote:The "pro" white shoe fetish bugs me. Also people asking what shoes so and so was wearing or if they changed shoes. I could honestly care less and completely fail to understand why this is a thing. Sunglasses are a close second. :-)
Have loved white shoes since Angel Arroyo used them in 84.

Not a cycling thing but still annoys the he’ll out of me is the mangling of the expression “I couldn’t care less.” ;)

I remember Rolf Sorenson sporting some white Sidi shoes in '87 or so. I think they were the "Hawaii" model, if my memory serves.

I also recall David Millar posting about getting a fresh set of Sidis in bright white for the start of Paris Nice in 2002, and it's been white for me ever since. I can't imagine opting for another color for cycling shoes.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Anyone honestly annoyed of how much you're influenced by media (the more you read up, the worse it gets)?
Purely talking keeping your consuming impulse in shack?
Isn't always, do i need a new helmet, glasses, shoes, pedals, that new bar/stem combo or even a new bike yada yada...
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

wheelsONfire wrote:Anyone honestly annoyed of how much you're influenced by media (the more you read up, the worse it gets)?
Isn't always, do i need a new helmet, glasses, shoes, pedals, that new bar/stem combo or even a new bike yada yada...
Not in that way. More annoying is the lack of knowledge I see in magazines and on YouTube. The one that comes to mind is the GCN presenter going round some show and commenting on the changes a brand had made to their frame. He said that the seatpost has been changed to a 31.6 from a 27.2 making for a plusher ride! Idiot.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

I'm annoyed by the pointlessness of it.

The fixing things which weren't broken.

Road tubeless - now I need special tape, a bottle of latex (consumable), a compressor, plugs (just in case) and then inner tubes too - in case it doesn't work. We have fixed this pesky inner tube and tyre system which worked very well.

Electronic Gearing - Same. Now we have to charge it, update software, etc etc. It solved the problem of nearly perfectly functioning mechanical. Thanks!

On the GCN thing - it will be what the brand has told them. That was a common claim (31.6 to 27.2 for a plusher ride).

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

ultimobici wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:05 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:Anyone honestly annoyed of how much you're influenced by media (the more you read up, the worse it gets)?
Not in that way. More annoying is the lack of knowledge I see in magazines and on YouTube. The one that comes to mind is the GCN presenter going round some show and commenting on the changes a brand had made to their frame. He said that the seatpost has been changed to a 31.6 from a 27.2 making for a plusher ride! Idiot.

I wonder how he ever can conclude that :noidea:
That's like basic knowledge...

Oh, but i think you know that reviewers always get pointers of what a product is?
No matter what it is... Maybe this specific dude was to much in the bar :beerchug: :lol:
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

RTW wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:46 pm
I'm annoyed by the pointlessness of it.

The fixing things which weren't broken.

Road tubeless - now I need special tape, a bottle of latex (consumable), a compressor, plugs (just in case) and then inner tubes too - in case it doesn't work. We have fixed this pesky inner tube and tyre system which worked very well.

Electronic Gearing - Same. Now we have to charge it, update software, etc etc. It solved the problem of nearly perfectly functioning mechanical. Thanks!

On the GCN thing - it will be what the brand has told them. That was a common claim (31.6 to 27.2 for a plusher ride).
Progress might not always be for the better?
We who find it so, we are the misfits. The whole idea is that we think we know when we really learn a theory.
When theory is applied in a wider spectrum, the learning happens (or?)!

I find so much told to be a evolution, must be measured to actually verify it. I would say evolotion is when it's clearly noted.
But dudes in general have a technical interest which also makes us perfect prospects to be sucked in the consuming machinery.
Females doesn't tend to have same mindset.

However i can say what i like.

Di2 and AXS.
Disc brakes if i ride in crap weather.
However the latter is also what i don't like since i find it have drawbacks.
Electronic, not so much if the manufacturers keep a stash of spare parts.
I was really disappointed of Sram talking Etap. But they told me it was an outdated system they simply couldn't get the parts for anymore.
I am not sure AXS will be better talking this specific thing!?
But i like the refinement from Etap to AXS. It simply is noted if you work with the system yourself.
Because you see the changes aswell as note them when you use them.
I find Sram is pushing more tech than Campa and Shimano. Shimano is great, no question. But they seem reserved and a slow in comparison.

I had my theoretical hickups when we talk Srams progress chainrings and cassette. But i admit i was wrong.
For instance the drag we spoke using 10T cog on the cassette. AXS runs smoother in the top gears than Etap did.
I can't say i note drag in the 10T cog. I again say, Etap seemed more restrained in the two top gears (12 and 11T cogs)
The FD is working great and has a motor doing things Etap didn't.
There's something i have discussed with Sram. I love that they respond and discuss this, even though i am a nobody in the whole.
But we'll see if they take the bait. Its just a minor thing, never the less i hope it can be solved with a firmware update.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 3:11 pm
Fit is funny, just swap your cranks and at same time swap insoles and there goes that.
Solestar made my posture change (+ the saddle goes higher) + the shorter crank.
Um, no. Trigonometry doesn't work like that. Swapping cranks is not the same as changing insoles.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

ghostinthemachine wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:34 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 3:11 pm
Fit is funny, just swap your cranks and at same time swap insoles and there goes that.
Solestar made my posture change (+ the saddle goes higher) + the shorter crank.
Um, no. Trigonometry doesn't work like that. Swapping cranks is not the same as changing insoles.
I swapped both + shim under one shoe and i needed to raise my saddle. Solestar is higher just where you have the pedal platform.
Try these soles and check and you will probably notice. I don't know, but for me this was very much the case.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

how most bike frames and wheel makers are going disc. road rim brakes are just fine

jesper2913

by jesper2913

I'm really annoyed with possitive reviews. No matter what new product I read reviewed, it's always positive. The drawbacks mentioned are always minor things without importance. Why can't we just get a honest review of a new frame, groupset, wheels, saddle, handlebar etc.

I'm aware that a manufacturor always try to make a better product than the previous one, but they don't always succeed. And sometime a product is just bad, but reviewers rarely tell the full story.

I have to go to youtube to get (sometimes) unbiased user experience, in order to get an honest opinion (or WW).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

well... bare in mind it sometimes takes hundreds if not thousands of kilometers to find a product faulty or otherwise lacking. that said i'm annoyed by the lack of such long term reviews and treating few year old products (namely frames, wheels and groupsets which should and can last for tens of thousands kilometers) like obsolete garbage
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.