Trivial cycling things annoy me?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

djm wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:27 pm
Speaking of post race interviews, take note every time a rider uses the term "for sure". It is frequently used to both start and finish sentences. Quite peculiar. But the very verbal riders are few and far between, not to mention that it's demanding to say something meaningful immediately after crossing the finish line.
I give a pass to any rider that makes a minor mistake giving an english interview, because english is probably their 3rd or 4th language and there are so many contradictory spellings/pronunciations and even slang terms that can be very tricky..... not to mention the fact that they've just done 100+ miles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Nickldn wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:17 am
robbosmans wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:34 am
Every other pronunciation of “sram”, especially in Europe. (S-ram etc)
In at least one European language Sram is the verb to have a sh*t.

No doubt hilarious to some, but may also explain the deliberate mispronounciation.
I don't know what the "correct" pronunciation of SRAM is, but Moellema's is the most famous.

FatLadAtTheBack

by FatLadAtTheBack

Certainly trivial in the grand scheme of things, but this year's Zwift academy was a bit rubbish (especially in the women's competition!)

MilesG813

by MilesG813

FatLadAtTheBack wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:19 pm
Certainly trivial in the grand scheme of things, but this year's Zwift academy was a bit rubbish (especially in the women's competition!)
More than rubbish it was a farce. How did Chiara not win. . . felt like the judges were looking for a reason not to praise any of her rides despite clearly being the strongest. I do not fault the judges for not wanting a 37 year old rookie but then why invite her. It was unfair of them to bring her there all the while having no intention of giving her a contract.
2022 Specialized S-Works SL7 I Ultegra R8170 I Princeton Carbonworks 6560
2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 I 105 R5700 I Zipp 404s

FatLadAtTheBack

by FatLadAtTheBack

MilesG813 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:28 pm
FatLadAtTheBack wrote:
More than rubbish it was a farce. How did Chiara not win. . . felt like the judges were looking for a reason not to praise any of her rides despite clearly being the strongest. I do not fault the judges for not wanting a 37 year old rookie but then why invite her. It was unfair of them to bring her there all the while having no intention of giving her a contract.
And why were most of the challenges geared towards climbing, if they were actually looking for more of a sprinter?! It felt like they made their minds up at the beginning based on power numbers and the various challenges were just fodder for the show.

djm

by djm

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:38 pm
djm wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:27 pm
Speaking of post race interviews, take note every time a rider uses the term "for sure". It is frequently used to both start and finish sentences. Quite peculiar. But the very verbal riders are few and far between, not to mention that it's demanding to say something meaningful immediately after crossing the finish line.
I give a pass to any rider that makes a minor mistake giving an english interview, because english is probably their 3rd or 4th language and there are so many contradictory spellings/pronunciations and even slang terms that can be very tricky..... not to mention the fact that they've just done 100+ miles.
For sure! The Brits, Aussies and Yanks will all say this. Having a mic stuffed under your nose after finishing something as strenous as a race, and heck, even winning, definitely doesn't lay ground for the finest philosophical meanderings ;-)

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

MilesG813 wrote:
FatLadAtTheBack wrote:
There was a GCN episode in which they explained it. Essentially, although Chiara was clearly a much stronger climber (and that was the main thing they seemed to test), ultimately, her numbers weren't strong enough to compete on the world tour. Alex on the other hand showed that she could get over the climbs without losing too much time, and had the 3 minute power to prove that in punchier races she could (or at least with some extra training) mix it with the world tour.

Similarly, the opposite could be said for the ,en.

They summarised by saying that 3 minute power, recover, and then repeat, is the biggest indicator to performance outside of pure lightweight climbers.

MilesG813

by MilesG813

Knightyboy27 wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:10 pm
MilesG813 wrote:
FatLadAtTheBack wrote:
There was a GCN episode in which they explained it. Essentially, although Chiara was clearly a much stronger climber (and that was the main thing they seemed to test), ultimately, her numbers weren't strong enough to compete on the world tour. Alex on the other hand showed that she could get over the climbs without losing too much time, and had the 3 minute power to prove that in punchier races she could (or at least with some extra training) mix it with the world tour.

Similarly, the opposite could be said for the ,en.

They summarised by saying that 3 minute power, recover, and then repeat, is the biggest indicator to performance outside of pure lightweight climbers.
I saw the episode and I am not so sure that it wasn't just damage control. I guess the way they sell it is the 5 competing with each other but in reality its just tryouts not a race to get a contract (which no one actually got, only a contract to be a part of the teams' development programs).
2022 Specialized S-Works SL7 I Ultegra R8170 I Princeton Carbonworks 6560
2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 I 105 R5700 I Zipp 404s

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

The whole debate and forced change from rim to disc.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

micky

by micky

Groupo

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:12 pm
The whole debate and forced change from rim to disc.
The whole forced change from wheels having one cog on each side to putting all the cogs on one side of the wheel, which lamely tries to make up for not letting us turn around our wheels anymore by using these newfangled derailleur contraptions. Fortunately, I can keep using my trusty wing nuts and don't have to switch to those new gizomos from this Campagnolo character, whose only purpose is to quickly release me from my money.

And now that I've been forced to make this change, who knows what's next? Are they going to make me give up my derailleur push rods for some kind of crazy cables, or put motors on the derailleurs powered by batteries?

mendiz

by mendiz

People obssesed with record every ride in Strava. The thinking that S-works is the best of the best. The Specialized fanboys, that know nothing of boutique brands or another brands.
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Couldnt Sram come up with a better name then Stealthamajig. It works well enough but when I first saw it I thought it was total slang wondering if it was even a real.
Olive is another one that threw me as I work in the industrial end of things and we call it ferrule when it comes to hydraulics.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

maurice1

by maurice1

Things I'm jealous of mountainbikers about (grammar?) as a roadie:
The UDH. I wish there was some sort of standard for road mech hangers.
Separate braking and gears. Possibly very controversial but I think STI was a mistake. I wish we could mix and match like Shimano shifting with SRAM braking or other combinations. Plus they gave us the word "brifters".
Prices. For $1500 you're getting a much better MTB than road bike imo, despite the MTB needing a more complex fork and the need for sturdier components.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:16 pm
Hahhahhaha sock level is just below the calf no time for these socks up to mid calf and beyond ImageImage

Basso Diamante eps 12
Your going to struggle when we go for a ride lol
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components