How to switch disc brakes from one bike to another?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

sib

by sib

Hello!

I've a Canyon Inflite with SRAM Red etap 11sp disc brakes, and I want to move the shifters/brakes over to a new Specialized Aethos.
On both bikes, the cables are externally routed at the handlebars, enter the top of the fork and come out at the bottom of the fork at the front, and enter the frame near the headtube and come out at the rear brake at the back.

What tools/parts do I need to move everything over?
Are there any online resources with a step-by-step on how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

SRAM has plenty of manuals and documents for different components and tasks.

Here is the guide for the SRAM Etap AXS 12 speed shift-brake system, I suppose most of the steps are valid for the 11 speed too.
https://www.sram.com/globalassets/docum ... manual.pdf

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

You are going to have to cut off the olive/barb on at least the front brake hose and maybe the rear. If you have enough extra length, you can reuse both hoses and install new barbs/olives. My shop buys these in bulk and will give them out for free, but YMMV. Worst case is your front hose becomes too short and you have to buy a new hose. You can always reuse the old rear hose in the front.

Not 100% sure on the tools. Maybe an 8mm flare nut wrench and a 10mm open one in addition to a T8 Torx key for the barb.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

And a bleed kit plus fluid.

sib

by sib

Thanks for your replies!

I've been checking prices, and it looks like getting all the tools I need (bleed kit + fluid + dot grease + barbs + wrenches + torx key) is pretty much the same price as having the brakes swapped over by my local bike shop.

If I only expect to change bikes once every few years, am I right in thinking I may as well get it done at the bike shop?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

sib wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:02 am
Thanks for your replies!

I've been checking prices, and it looks like getting all the tools I need (bleed kit + fluid + dot grease + barbs + wrenches + torx key) is pretty much the same price as having the brakes swapped over by my local bike shop.

If I only expect to change bikes once every few years, am I right in thinking I may as well get it done at the bike shop?

You don’t need the DOT grease imo.
As a bicycle owner you should already own metric Torx keys. The wrenches maybe, maybe not.

As for the bleed kit…I’d have one handy just in case you find your bike in need of a bleed all sudden.

mcfarton

by mcfarton

This is the sort of thing I just pay the lbs for. That way they are there when I need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kode54

by kode54

sib wrote:Thanks for your replies!

Main reason why I wrench myself is down time plus the hassle of taking the bike into the shop and pickup. Also, these days, I feel I can do just as good job than the bike shop.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

kode54 wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:54 am
sib wrote:Thanks for your replies!

Main reason why I wrench myself is down time plus the hassle of taking the bike into the shop and pickup. Also, these days, I feel I can do just as good job than the bike shop.
Same here; a couple of years ago, my wife took her old Allez in for a "full" tuneup without telling me, paid over $200 for some pretty sloppy work (too long cable housing, poor indexing, amateur-hour bar wrap) and extra for some mediocre tires. Also, more recently, the wait times at bike shops for servicing seems pretty inexplicable. I can build a bike from bare frame in less than a day in my basement, though I usually do it over several evenings, and I find it pretty satisfying to do so.