Is anyone completely done with these absurd prices?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spartacus

by spartacus

wooger wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:54 pm
spartacus wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:46 pm
otnemem wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:17 pm
wooger wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:37 pm
GP5000 S TR are good tyres, but partly thanks to BRR's leaderboard (and their tests giving an advantage to tubeless tyres), partly thanks to marketing, they're almost worshipped by some.
Can you expand on this?
Tubeless tires have less RR theresfore it's unfair lol

Exactly the opposite, tubeless tyres vs the equivalent tubed one are built heavier and by all logic should roll worse than a lighter tubed tyre with a latex tube. Which matches everyones experiences and other testing.

The unfair part is testing tube type tyres with slow butyl tubes instead of the latex ones which anyone who values performance will be using, making them test far worse.

He also reportedly doesn't put the suggested volumn of sealant in the tubeless tyres to begin with.
Do you have links to a test where they measure a 5000TR against a 5000 with latex tube?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Attermann

by Attermann

This has gone way off topic.

jadedaid

by jadedaid

otnemem wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:26 pm
Yes, on one side of the coin you have high demand and low supply for very high end, very expensive framesets and bikes (ergo, no, we're not done with these insane prices). On the other side of the coin, for those interested in 5+ year old kit, you have lots of it going for cheap since the same buyer considers that completely obsolete and confers little to no value to it.
This is what my bike fitter said as well. They deal only in high end and custom bikes, and he said they haven't felt any drop off in demand. As busy as ever.

otnemem

by otnemem

jadedaid wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:33 pm
otnemem wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:26 pm
Yes, on one side of the coin you have high demand and low supply for very high end, very expensive framesets and bikes (ergo, no, we're not done with these insane prices). On the other side of the coin, for those interested in 5+ year old kit, you have lots of it going for cheap since the same buyer considers that completely obsolete and confers little to no value to it.
This is what my bike fitter said as well. They deal only in high end and custom bikes, and he said they haven't felt any drop off in demand. As busy as ever.
In some cases one could argue this to be an example of the Veblen effect exacerbating the basic law of demand (for those curious about what I mentioned earlier re supply and demand).
Reps and resellers will tell you they can't get enough supply of high end framesets to meet demand (in my case, recently, Giant vs Specialized, being quoted nearly a year wait) and in most cases it's the manufacturer who can't supply as much as they'd want. At the pointy end, the manufacturer has no intention of actually increasing production as that would defeat the strategy. As long as the demand is there, there's no incentive to change.

flying

by flying

otnemem wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:12 am
the Veblen effect.........At the pointy end, the manufacturer has no intention of actually increasing production as that would defeat the strategy. As long as the demand is there, there's no incentive to change.
Would be nice if eventually all the star struck bleeding edge needy riders suddenly realized it is mostly not about the bike but about the ride
That would leave the blood sucking manufacturers needing a transfusion

But.... the majority of high end bikes probably exist as show pieces/trophies & those buyers will always line up :roll:

blutto

by blutto

flying wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:00 am
otnemem wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:12 am
the Veblen effect.........At the pointy end, the manufacturer has no intention of actually increasing production as that would defeat the strategy. As long as the demand is there, there's no incentive to change.
Would be nice if eventually all the star struck bleeding edge needy riders suddenly realized it is mostly not about the bike but about the ride
That would leave the blood sucking manufacturers needing a transfusion

But.... the majority of high end bikes probably exist as show pieces/trophies & those buyers will always line up :roll:
....game, set, match...well played...

Cheers

blutto

by blutto

....in the annals of the study of popular culture there is a seminal study that examines the rise and fall of the surf culture in southern California ( as an aside...the Kilgore/Lance discussion about surfing in Apocalypse Now references this... )....wouldn't want to draw conclusions too early but it seems that the current cycling culture is exhibiting many of the same hallmarks of that bit of surf culture history and may well be on a similar trajectory....

Cheers

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

flying wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:14 am
Berzin1 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:04 pm
We need to collectively think outside the box. Start looking at smaller, boutique frame builders and release thyselves from this relentlessly obnoxious carbon aero fixation and consider other materials such as titanium, aluminum and even (dare I say) steel, which last I checked was still "real".
I personally love aluminum as a fair in between material.

But as to steel check this Isen 5.4kg climber (I have no idea about prices & they may be as pricey as the big boys but...)

When I consider going back to steel I always think I would like a smaller diameter tube like this.
These days they went do oversized to make up for thin walls.
But older smaller diameter steel had a great feel to it IMHO...

Small diameter steel tube flex. I had an 853 Reynolds frame that would ghost rub the chain against the derailleur shit mech when sprinting. Luckily it never ghost shifted gown to the little ring.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

OnTheRivet wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:27 pm
Small diameter steel tube flex. I had an 853 Reynolds frame that would ghost rub the chain against the derailleur shit mech when sprinting. Luckily it never ghost shifted gown to the little ring.
Who built it?

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

AJS914

by AJS914

The bike boom is officially over.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

mrlobber wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:00 pm
Might be partially related
https://road.cc/content/news/shimano-bi ... -18-302797
Not Shimano, but an $8,000 GX version IMO is definitely "absurd."

https://www.brujulabike.com/specialized ... s-precios/

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

there's a brand new LOOK 795 Blade RS on full DA (Di2 and C50 wheels) for 5k euro. I'd say that's a hefty bargain.

pity people selling 2nd hand bikes didn't get the memo.. yet. a lot of 2-3 year old bikes out there even pricier than new ones :shock:

but we're slowly getting back to 'normal', or rather 'acceptable'
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

tymon_tm wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:37 pm
there's a brand new LOOK 795 Blade RS on full DA (Di2 and C50 wheels) for 5k euro. I'd say that's a hefty bargain.
Where?

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

I'm completely over it sure. Biking is now the new golf.
As we get older, some of us are downshifting. :lol:
Less money but more time.

I bought my last new bike in 2007.
Ever since then I've just been buying some components, accessories and clothes.
It helps if you don't follow fashion trends. :noidea:

It's kinda strange though because some expensive/nice things I will pay for :oops: , and other's it's like "no way".
I'm talking about DT Swiss 180 rear hub now costing over a grand each :shock:, $600 cassettes with no titanium in them. No thanks.
The value is just not there. And look, the diameter of the hub is smaller, the raw material should be (is) cheaper to begin with. :smartass:

The price of individual carbon rims is now eyewatering (for me). I just bought my first chinese carbon rim. Quality is good. :mrgreen:
So the price of wheels has gone up.

And don't get me started on $1300 dropper seatposts...😬

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com