Is anyone completely done with these absurd prices?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

pushpush

by pushpush

Nickldn wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:09 pm
fatpinarellorider wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:00 pm
Anyway, what's wrong with moaning and groaning?
Agree, calling out price gouging and fantastical claims made by the industry is valuable to protect the unwary and raise standards.
Agreed. More importantly, NOT buying overpriced products is the most direct way to influence pricing. Remember, prices only remain high when enough people are willing to pay them. Consumers wield a lot of power in this dynamic, but most choose to cede that power because at the end of the day they would rather pay the price and have the product/service.

disclaimer: I'm horribly guilty of this myself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

misteryellow

by misteryellow

Guys and gals, this topic is now more than 20 pages long. While some have lambasted my compaints, others have come to my defence. I want to thank you all for contributing to the discussion. I appreciate all your critical comments, positive or negative. Thank you for keeping cycling alive.
''Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's a good idea. It will add unnecessary complexity with little, if any, real benefit. Part of the beauty of this sport is the lack of hand holding & arse wiping.'' - ultimobici

pushpush

by pushpush

TL;DR - No. We're not done with these absurd prices. 😎

misteryellow

by misteryellow

pushpush wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:59 pm
TL;DR - No. We're not done with these absurd prices. 😎
I will keep tab on monthly inflation numbers and when I suspect a brand raises its price above that a rant will ensue in this topic :P
''Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's a good idea. It will add unnecessary complexity with little, if any, real benefit. Part of the beauty of this sport is the lack of hand holding & arse wiping.'' - ultimobici

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Overpriced bikes and components have absolutely no effect on me because i have already got the nice bikes and parts I want and if I want something more I'll look at the second hand market. I've rode for 2 decades, had 7 bikes, and paid full price for none of them. 4 of them were brand new or never ridden too. 3 bikes now all on 11 speed etap with a spare group bought very cheap as backup, I'm good for many more years. Let those. Who are happy to pay for the newest gear take the hit, I'll just pick it up from the upgraders at a later time.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Kayrehn wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:39 am
Overpriced bikes and components have absolutely no effect on me because i have already got the nice bikes and parts I want and if I want something more I'll look at the second hand market. I've rode for 2 decades, had 7 bikes, and paid full price for none of them. 4 of them were brand new or never ridden too. 3 bikes now all on 11 speed etap with a spare group bought very cheap as backup, I'm good for many more years. Let those. Who are happy to pay for the newest gear take the hit, I'll just pick it up from the upgraders at a later time.

Confused. Have prices of second hand items not gone up?

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

Depends on the market. Just from my observations in Australia, second hand prices are dropping pretty fast. Rim brake bikes are basically worthless.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

raisinberry777 wrote:Depends on the market. Just from my observations in Australia, second hand prices are dropping pretty fast. Rim brake bikes are basically worthless.
Exactly... Get the top end rim brake bikes for a song!

Nickldn

by Nickldn

^ please don't turn this into a rim v disk thread, it's been sensible so far.

Noted rim brake bikes are available cheaply second hand, but likely still not many want them.

Meanwhile the world has moved on and prices of bikes, components and accessories risen significantly.

misteryellow

by misteryellow

Nickldn wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:03 am
^ please don't turn this into a rim v disk thread, it's been sensible so far.

Noted rim brake bikes are available cheaply second hand, but likely still not many want them.

Meanwhile the world has moved on and prices of bikes, components and accessories risen significantly.
Well I myself brought a brand new Look 785 huez frameset with Shimano 105 installed for 1450 euro's. This was 1,5 years ago. It's pretty nice.

charirider

by charirider

I am done, almost... Berk Lupina on the way, Darimo T1 seatpoat in plans, and I am done wit light road stuff.
Next will buy affordable titanium touring frame from spa cycles, install 105 and alu wheelset to ride any weather and not thinking that over 5k usd carbon bike will break lol
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

eurostar

by eurostar

There's one thing even cheaper than a 2nd hand rim brake bike.....a rim brake bike with tub wheels. Mine was £15k+ new. A couple of hundred miles later I paid £3.5k for it. Maybe I should have haggled! It's a dream bike...a magic carpet. I keep it by my bed so I can look at it.

Berzin1

by Berzin1

Hate to post this because Cyfac are one of my all-time favorite frame builders, but their new top-of-the-line carbon frame is now 7,500 thousand euros. Ouch. What is more depressing is it has taken the look of all the other frames out there with the seatstays joining the seat tube practically 12 inches down from the seatpost clamp.

BenjaminHuffy

by BenjaminHuffy

I don't mind riding second-hand bicycles so I am immune to market fluctuations. The three road bikes I have put the most miles on over the last few years I initially paid $10, $3, and $0 for, and have gotten many thousands of miles of enjoyment out of them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com