Is anyone completely done with these absurd prices?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

otnemem

by otnemem

wooger wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:37 pm
GP5000 S TR are good tyres, but partly thanks to BRR's leaderboard (and their tests giving an advantage to tubeless tyres), partly thanks to marketing, they're almost worshipped by some.
Can you expand on this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

otnemem wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:14 pm
14 pages of a thread that can be summarized as follows:

Introduction to Economics - 101 - Supply and demand.
and that's apparently where your understanding of economy ends - lesson one. but hey, thanks for the insight :thumbup:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

spartacus

by spartacus

otnemem wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:17 pm
wooger wrote:
GP5000 S TR are good tyres, but partly thanks to BRR's leaderboard (and their tests giving an advantage to tubeless tyres), partly thanks to marketing, they're almost worshipped by some.
Can you expand on this?
Tubeless tires have less RR theresfore it's unfair lol

otnemem

by otnemem

tymon_tm wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:32 pm
otnemem wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:14 pm
14 pages of a thread that can be summarized as follows:

Introduction to Economics - 101 - Supply and demand.
and that's apparently where your understanding of economy ends - lesson one. but hey, thanks for the insight :thumbup:
What did I miss? I'm always happy to learn and I'm surprised you didn't immediately school me.
spartacus wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:46 pm
I'm actually hoping he's got a better explanation. Preferably one that doesn't involve a variation of "iT DoEsN't ReFLecT tHe ReAL WoRLDs".

Singular

by Singular

otnemem wrote:
wooger wrote:
Can you expand on this?
Tubeless tyres are tested with a tubeless setup (which is how they're supposed to be used), but tube-type tyres are all tested with a 100g Conti butyl tube (which is a fair bit slower than for example a latex tube, which one would assume is being used by those fitting light, fast racing tyres especially)

otnemem

by otnemem

That's a good point. On the other hand, I want to believe people aren't comparing tubeless to tube-type on that basis and, those comparing, realize the difference involved (i.e., they also read the article comparing butyl/latex/PU and its different models available).

kervelo

by kervelo

Enduro magazine discusses reasons behind the dropping bike prices:
https://enduro-mtb.com/en/big-price-war ... overstock/

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

nice coffee read, thanks. but i wonder if there's any data behind it; i presume not. it's a very nice, logical educated guess as to *why* things happen in bike biz, but to make it an analysys it does need numbers.

there's also the possibility, not named in the read, we're looking at an old school price war. as supply seems no longer an issue and the costs of doing business might have gone down, producers' margins grew. as i wrote somewhere above - the price of a comlplete bike is often significantly bigger than combined prices of all the parts. judging by this fact alone MSRPs *should* go down by 15-20% just like that. why they do not drop might be more psychological and generational thing; people today are used to gettng a ready to go product picked in a catalogue. building bikes, at one's own or through a lbs, is kinda a thing of the past generally speaking (save for the absolute top-shelve bikes). so if you ask an average 3-5-7k bike consumer how much does an Ultegra 12 groupset cost compared to 11, he'd have no clue about it. hence it's easy to make him pay more than he *should*. most folks also don't have a clue about economics and trade - if you tell them "we're not sure what's availible and when" he'll just have to believe you and put up wth lbs' conditions so to speak.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

The plus side is the second hand market is crazy.

I just picked an immaculate Hi-Mod supersix (2015) with 6800 and Ksyrium SL's for £650.

otnemem

by otnemem

Yes, on one side of the coin you have high demand and low supply for very high end, very expensive framesets and bikes (ergo, no, we're not done with these insane prices). On the other side of the coin, for those interested in 5+ year old kit, you have lots of it going for cheap since the same buyer considers that completely obsolete and confers little to no value to it.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

rim brake bikes are soon gonna be handed out for free lol. of course not all; i was talking to a guy who has this Madone slr 9 wth 5-8k km on her and his asking price is just 25% lower than a MSRP for a brand new Madone with Ultegra 12... but these middle-of-the-shelve bikes, there are lots of cool options. shame there's no chance to upgrade them with brand new wheels; there's just a HUGE difference between best rim sets from few years ago and today's brand new disc only hoops, which maes rim option really less and less tempting..

tarmackev

by tarmackev

otnemem wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:26 pm
Yes, on one side of the coin you have high demand and low supply for very high end, very expensive framesets and bikes (ergo, no, we're not done with these insane prices). On the other side of the coin, for those interested in 5+ year old kit, you have lots of it going for cheap since the same buyer considers that completely obsolete and confers little to no value to it.
I've picked up so much crazy cheap stuff. I still run 10 speed SRAM Red, 10 speed Zipp 404's, mixed with top end frames, speedplay pedals and a parts scrounged from my friends in the cycle industry. I do have a 2022 Supersix Evo CX but it doesn't really touch the old kit on the road, even when paired with modern aero wheels.
There's another set of 404's near me at £275. I'm so tempted.

wooger

by wooger

spartacus wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:46 pm
otnemem wrote:
wooger wrote:
Can you expand on this?

Exactly the opposite, tubeless tyres vs the equivalent tubed one are built heavier and by all logic should roll worse than a lighter tubed tyre with a latex tube. Which matches everyones experiences and other testing.

The unfair part is testing tube type tyres with slow butyl tubes instead of the latex ones which anyone who values performance will be using, making them test far worse.

He also reportedly doesn't put the suggested volumn of sealant in the tubeless tyres to begin with.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Crr isn’t the only benefit of the GP5K S TR over other tires.

It has good-average grip. It has a suitably wide tread cap. It has pretty good tread endurance. It has pretty good puncture resistance. It’s sold by literally everyone. It’s constantly on sale. Not flatting is also nice.

It’s almost like it’s the best all-around race tire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com