Varia RCT715

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MilesG813

by MilesG813

WheresWaldo wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:15 pm
Butcher wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:58 pm
DC Rainmaker is really off the mark on his review. It's not a social media camera and that is not the main purpose of it. I know the marketing team had to hype it up so I suspect that is why there is some mention of it in the sales hype. I have tried the app and yes, it's cumbersome but as I have mentioned in the past, the lawyers and insurance will figure out how to use it. My wife will appreciate what information is stores. The only thing I am looking at after a ride is the data, not the video.

Mine acts just like my older first gen RTL510. Someone mentioned that it picks up riders if they are coming up from behind. I would agree with this. It seems to be a bit more sensitive than my older one. The mount is certainly heavy duty and I suspect someone will come up with something more to my liking later. I would prefer to get this off my seat post and on the saddle where it belongs.
@Butcher
When I got the mount for the 715 and noticed how bulky and cumbersome it is I had to do something to make it more palatable for cyclists that want to mount it on saddles or on the Trek seap post light mount. I already have mount adapters for Bontrager Blender, Specialized SWAT, Shimano Pro and the Trek thing that snaps onto the seat clamp. I call it a mount adapter because it is too difficult and not cost effective to model Garmin's mounting mechanism and you take the two screws from the back of the mount and then attach it to the adapter (uses a T9 Torx headed bolt). Then the Garmin mount become a direct mount to those saddles. If you look at the 3D printed mounts thread I already posted pictures of a real world RCT715 on the Trek Seat Post Light Mount. I have a 27.2 mm mount adapter coming and I can post pictures of it too.

So you really don't need to wait for Saddle mounts to show up. They will have to come from 3rd parties as Garmin will never make one. I wouldn't hold my breathe for those 3rd parties to make the complete mount as the new 715 mount actually has moving parts.
My Fizik Antares Versus Evo Adaptive has a spot on the back where the Fizik name plate clicks into it, do you think something could be designed to use that spot to secure the 715 mount to?
2022 Specialized S-Works SL7 I Ultegra R8170 I Princeton Carbonworks 6560
2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 I 105 R5700 I Zipp 404s

ms6073

by ms6073

MilesG813 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:18 pm
My Fizik Antares Versus Evo Adaptive has a spot on the back where the Fizik name plate clicks into it, do you think something could be designed to use that spot to secure the 715 mount to?
Although the company does not offer one currently, I suspect if you keep an eye on Bup Labs, they will have one soon.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MilesG813

by MilesG813

ms6073 wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:23 pm
MilesG813 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:18 pm
Although the company does not offer one currently, I suspect if you keep an eye on Bup Labs, they will have one soon.
I appreciate the link, looks like exactly what I am looking for is in the works!
2022 Specialized S-Works SL7 I Ultegra R8170 I Princeton Carbonworks 6560
2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 I 105 R5700 I Zipp 404s

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

I have been working on RCT715 mounts and have a few available as well as the first one for the Specialized SL7 seat post, http://shpws.me/TdNN. Nothing for Fizik as I stopped doing mouints for their integrated saddle mount over a year ago.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Now only if I can get SL7.

I get that the saddle mount may be difficult to design, but you have one client waiting if you can come up with a good one.
Last edited by Butcher on Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

req110

by req110

WheresWaldo wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:26 pm
I have been working on RCT715 mounts and have a few available as well as the first one for the Specialized SL7 seat post, http://shpws.me/TdNN. Nothing for Fizik as I stopped doing mouints for their integrated saddle mount over a year ago.
Any chance you have picture of sl7 with this mount, for example from your customer?
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

req110 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:24 pm
WheresWaldo wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:26 pm
Any chance you have picture of sl7 with this mount, for example from your customer?
Nothing yet, but I ask almost every time. People just tend to forget when everything works like it is supposed to.

calicyclist

by calicyclist

Debating between the RCT715 and the RTL515 and trying to decide which direction to go. Been a while since this thread has been updated so just curious to hear if anyone has any further feedback. I obviously understand the difference between the units but I am more wondering if people still think the extra size, weight, and mounting complications are worth having the incident footage. Has anyone used it in an incident? Does it still give you peace of mind having the recording on your daily rides?

I was hit by a car a few months ago so this is what is causing my interest in recording. I also bought a Drift Ghost XL Pro for forward facing recording during training rides.
Argonaut RM3 | Pivot Trail 429

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I have the camera version. I find it easy to install but it is larger. I have not looked, but I do not think there are many different mounting options.

My friend says it's hidious. I keep telling him stop looking at my butt and if he does not like it, try passing. He can't on both accounts.

Someone mentioned that the radar picks up other riders. I notice this more than my 510. To be fair, the hard mount on the 510 was slightly pointed to the ground more than I would like. The camera is perpendicular to the ground.

Camera? I've mentioned this before, that is for the lawyers to use. My wife knows about it and to allow the lawyers and law enforcement to figure it out. From my understanding, the software is terrible. It will be my parting gift to sociaty if anything major happens.

Is it worth the extra cost? I think of it like insurance. It's a total waste of money till you need it.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

By chance, does anyone have the rubber adapter for D shaped seatposts that they don't need? My 315 only came with adapters for round and V posts. Only the newer radars come with a flat D adapter.

The whole kit costs 20€ and comes with all the parts I don't need (landfill).

bobones

by bobones

BigBoyND wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:29 pm
By chance, does anyone have the rubber adapter for D shaped seatposts that they don't need? My 315 only came with adapters for round and V posts. Only the newer radars come with a flat D adapter.

The whole kit costs 20€ and comes with all the parts I don't need (landfill).
I can't help you with the flat D adapter, but perhaps you could make your own lighter and improved mount using this as a guide.

I prefer to use saddle rail mounts myself.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Thanks. Was trying to avoid DIY or 3D printing if possible, but maybe I'll consider this if I can't find a D shaped adapter.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

calicyclist wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:01 pm
Debating between the RCT715 and the RTL515 and trying to decide which direction to go. Been a while since this thread has been updated so just curious to hear if anyone has any further feedback. I obviously understand the difference between the units but I am more wondering if people still think the extra size, weight, and mounting complications are worth having the incident footage. Has anyone used it in an incident? Does it still give you peace of mind having the recording on your daily rides?

I was hit by a car a few months ago so this is what is causing my interest in recording. I also bought a Drift Ghost XL Pro for forward facing recording during training rides.
Did you end up getting it?

Also contemplating on it. Haven't gotten hit by a car, hopefully it never happens but also everyone these days aren't paying attention on the road and some just outright run you off for shits and giggles

The only thing that's holding me back is if someone else will make a better video version, so maybe just settle for the 515 for now. I dont understand how Garmin used to make an action camera and didnt hone in to at least doing better than "1080p"? I could barely read the plates on review videos, GPLama's videos are too clean, looks like he rides on better roads than mine

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ the video quality is passable.. better then cycliq fly6 by a smidge. ( that is not saying much) and cycliq batteries are shit in my opinion.

Garmin does not and never did market this as a "action camera" so that's your misunderstanding. 1080p is fine, all Garmin needed to do was add stabilization and they would have cleaned house.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calicyclist

by calicyclist

g32ecs wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:53 am
Did you end up getting it?
I just ended up with a 515 and using a Ghost Drift XL Pro in the front. 715 being so bulky and negative feedback around the app dissuaded me from buying it.
Argonaut RM3 | Pivot Trail 429