Race bikes that take mudguards

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tommyb

by tommyb

Synapse would be top of the list but Cannondale have messed it up with the latest version and it’s out of stock everywhere anyway.

BMC Roadmachine 02 would be next but VERY hard to find.

Any other suggestions for lightweight road bike with race geometry that takes full length guards and has built in eyelets, either hidden or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beancouter

by Beancouter

No help, but I really rate my 2021 synapse.I use it for all seasons (other than summer) and it is brilliant!

At some point I suspect i will buy a hi mod and build it as light as possible….

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tmanley

by tmanley

Not classic race geometry, but the Cervelo Caledonia-5 comes with all the bits and pieces to make mudguard mounting a breeze. I race this frame and can't wait for the wet season to roll around again because of its' versatility.

Maddie

by Maddie

Neither Synapse nor Roadmachine are race geometry or lightweight really. But if they suit you, then you could also look out for Endurance or even Gravel frames since they give you plenty of tire clarance.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Maddie wrote:Neither Synapse nor Roadmachine are race geometry or lightweight really. But if they suit you, then you could also look out for Endurance or even Gravel frames since they give you plenty of tire clarance.
Not sure you are correct; other than the head tube length, the Synapse and Supersix are pretty much identical geometry. For me, I can run the Synapse pretty much slammed, whereas the SSE needs a few spacers.

The frame weight between the 2 is little different either

Singular

by Singular

But 590 is TALL for a (racing) 56. Is that including the cone spacer/top?

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Singular wrote:But 590 is TALL for a (racing) 56. Is that including the cone spacer/top?
My point isn’t that it isn’t tall - just that it the synapse geo is nigh on the same As Cannondale’s race bike (with 15mm more spacers for me personally).

ianeire

by ianeire

Race geometry, check.
Full length mudguards, check.

PDW Full Metal Fenders.

ABogle

by ABogle

The Caad13 takes mudguards and doesn't include that ridesense nonsense. Not sure what the tyre clearance is once the guards are on though.

Do you actually mean race bikes i.e. aggresive geometry? Because the roadmachine and synapse are both endurance bikes.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

ABogle wrote:The Caad13 takes mudguards and doesn't include that ridesense nonsense. Not sure what the tyre clearance is once the guards are on though.

Do you actually mean race bikes i.e. aggresive geometry? Because the roadmachine and synapse are both endurance bikes.
I might be a bit of a broken record, but the synapse geo is pretty much identical to the Evo and Caad. The only real difference is the head tube length - which doesn’t really matter for most people unless they are riding slammed.

The fact the synapse is an endurance bike isn’t due to the geometry, it’s the profiles of the tubes on the frame and forks, which are more forgiving.

If you go back to the first post the question was to recommend a frame which had race geo but mudguard eyelets - it wasn’t whether it was a race tuned frame ….

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

The new enve bike
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

ABogle

by ABogle

Beancouter wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:39 pm
ABogle wrote:The Caad13 takes mudguards and doesn't include that ridesense nonsense. Not sure what the tyre clearance is once the guards are on though.

I might be a bit of a broken record, but the synapse geo is pretty much identical to the Evo and Caad. The only real difference is the head tube length - which doesn’t really matter for most people unless they are riding slammed.

The fact the synapse is an endurance bike isn’t due to the geometry, it’s the profiles of the tubes on the frame and forks, which are more forgiving.

If you go back to the first post the question was to recommend a frame which had race geo but mudguard eyelets - it wasn’t whether it was a race tuned frame ….

It says 'race bike' in the title and "Any other suggestions for lightweight road bike with race geometry that takes full length guards and has built in eyelets, either hidden or not?"

And it's not identical, granted adding spacers to many race bikes will bring the effective stack and reach close to the equivalent endurance frame, that is the case for a lot frames in a given brands lineup. But if you want something aggressive then that might not be good enough, you may prefer to have the lower stack and longer reach of the race bike. At the end of the day, the synapse doesn't quite have what is categorised as race geo.

Having said that I wish bikes were better categorised with an emphasis towards ride comfort, practicality, clearance etc and then racing on the other side of the coin. For some a slammed tarmac won't feel that aggressive, whereas for others whether due to torso length, flexibility etc, a tarmac even w/ a spacer snorkel and a short stem will feel very aggressive. Just because somebody needs a taller stack and shorter reach doesn't mean they want faux suspension and a heated seat or whatever cannondale comes up with next. I wish more geo options existed for normal light bikes and endurance bikes.

clu

by clu

The Ribble Endurance SL and SLR frames have mudguard mounts. The frames have race geometry and the SLR frames are used by the men's and women's pro race teams that ribble sponsor.

From ribble's website:-
"The SL R frameset has discreet mudguard mounts and tyre clearances for up to 28c tyres ensuring that the Endurance SL R can be ridden in all seasons and weather conditions."

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

S-works Tarmac SL2 (old) racebike check
Mudguards (SKS raceblade long) check w/ 25mm GP 4seasons.

Shares the same geometry as the SL3, 4 and 5, so guards would potentially fit thouse too.

tommyb

by tommyb

Thanks everyone, went for a Caledonia 5 :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com