New gruppo design

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

HermesSport
in the industry

by HermesSport

Been out of the industry a few years, found myself with a few too many boring quarantine weekends, so I got most of the way done with designing a new road bike gruppo. I'll post periodic updates here. Check it out otherwise at @superparts_billet. Here's the rear dearailleur, featuring a secondary pivot mechanism which I hope will work like the old Huret Duopar derailleur of old, keeping the chain in close contact with the cassette in all gears, for better shifts. This is also clutched, and features a whopping 20 ball bearings. Besides the parallelogram spring, there is no direct metal on metal contact between any moving parts that doesn't involve a bearing.

These are off to print this week, then I'm going to machine a working prototype afterwards.

The brifter is more of a work in progress. Got the shifter/brake internals all done, basically designing the things to work with Hope RX4 calipers and rotors, then to finish the reservoir design (also to use a Hope bladder), knock out the shape of the body, then design some hoods. Ball detent for indexing, Campy style shifting, bearings galore.

I'll post periodic updates here. Perhaps someday there will be enough interest for me to get a nice 5-axis Robodrill and produce these things in series...
Hermes Sport, San Diego CA
Handbuilt Competition Wheel Systems
http://www.hermes-sport.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

:beerchug: Following !!!
Long live mechanical stuff :beerchug: !!

Louis :)

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Looking fwd to seeing some proto's

HermesSport
in the industry

by HermesSport

Prints forthcoming, probably Friday.
Hermes Sport, San Diego CA
Handbuilt Competition Wheel Systems
http://www.hermes-sport.com

SystmSix

by SystmSix

The designs look very cool and this is coming from someone who owned Precision billet and Paul designs in the past....

ConfusedRob

by ConfusedRob

Subscribed

huzenhagen

by huzenhagen

This looks great, I'd love a deeper dive on some of decisions around the geometry you've chosen for the RD and some of design decisions on how you've tried to optimise for the Rx4. Reading about how bike stuff work normally involves superficial articles that tell you nothing or reading patents

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com