Road bike dilemma

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

This happened to me on Deer Creek in the Santa Monica mountains (I know how to ride a bike too) and the next day I was shopping for disc brake bikes. Did the Mike Nosco ride on the Disc bike, as we were going down a super steep hill behind the lead car at the start I heard at least 3 tires blow from overheating. Was so glad to have gone disc and never have regreted it.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Nooks wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:27 pm
I think that Tre Cime is hard on brakes because of the amount of cars. Or atleast when I was there. So I had to brake even when it wasnt neccessery. But my wheels (tubulars back then) was fine:)
Right now I am kinda leaning to keeping this bike and buying maybe new reputable wheelset and also alloy shallow wheels for mountains. Maybe something light to keep it fun:) But i guess that light alloy rims are also dangerous to ride? Would be nice to find a good deal on dura ace alloy wheelset.
Careful which Shimano wheels. Some of the carbon alloy laminated versions have separated due to heat. I mention Campy Shamal Ultras - they can be purchased with a Shimano cassette body. Light, stiff, and great brake track. Only 17mm internal wide though. Used them in the Italian Alps last summer with 30mm Corsa Control. Worked well.

Funny story about Tre Cime and cars. When I was last there, at the first switchback near the bottom, a full sized motor coach tour bus got lodged in a switchback completely blocking the road, and promptly broke down. We slipped around it and had the climb to ourselves (other than cyclists) both up and down. On our way down, the bus was still there with two heavy tows trying to figure out how to dislodge it. (Yeah, Dolomites is too busy - don't think I'll be going back so soon.)
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

Keep the rim brakes. Unless you are frequently riding in the mountains it's not worth it. Unless you just want a new bike. I run my alloy wheels when i know I'll be going down some steep grades. I'm not worried about my abilities to not melt a rim, it's all of the unknowns, cars, other cyclist, and so on. The local gran Fondo won't let you participate with carbon clinchers. The descents are steep but really aren't all that bad, but with the number of riders during the event it becomes a brake happy shit show. Lots of delaminated rims.

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

Sulliesbrew wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:26 pm
I don't know what the price of HED wheels is in europe, but HED JET Blacks are pretty amazing set of aluminum wheels, the jet 4s are only a 100 gram hit over zipp 404s and are on parity aero wise.

Sullie's got it 100%. Any of the Jets, Belgium+/Ardenne series would be perfect for you. Either the deeper Jets or the shallow aluminum wheels will give you confidence and reliability.

Nooks

by Nooks

nickf wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:12 pm
Keep the rim brakes. Unless you are frequently riding in the mountains it's not worth it. Unless you just want a new bike. I run my alloy wheels when i know I'll be going down some steep grades. I'm not worried about my abilities to not melt a rim, it's all of the unknowns, cars, other cyclist, and so on. The local gran Fondo won't let you participate with carbon clinchers. The descents are steep but really aren't all that bad, but with the number of riders during the event it becomes a brake happy shit show. Lots of delaminated rims.
New bike is always a nice idea, don't you think? But yea, sometimes it is better not to be driven only by emotions or passion. I think my bike can serve me well this season.

And also I discovered a new problems. When I bought those wheels I have right now, I forgot to ask the guy who sold them to me how wide is the rim. They looked like they are wider than my former wheels, but I didnt make a big deal out of it. Only thought something like "hey, wider rime = more aero". But I wanted to change brake pads and after centering the wheel there is like 1 mm space between brake pads and rim. The rim is 30 mm wide and it is too much for direct rim brakes on Aeroad. So now I need to sell those wheels and buy new ones and that comes to keeping the whole bike. Because I dont want to sell the bike with these wheels eventhough they are spinning nicely, but I guess when riding out of the saddle and putting some serious watts the rim will be touching the pads. And what is the point of buying new wheels and then selling the bike immediately. I know I could buy some second hand wheels, but cant find any right now :(

Nooks

by Nooks

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:13 am
Nooks wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:27 pm
I think that Tre Cime is hard on brakes because of the amount of cars. Or atleast when I was there. So I had to brake even when it wasnt neccessery. But my wheels (tubulars back then) was fine:)
Right now I am kinda leaning to keeping this bike and buying maybe new reputable wheelset and also alloy shallow wheels for mountains. Maybe something light to keep it fun:) But i guess that light alloy rims are also dangerous to ride? Would be nice to find a good deal on dura ace alloy wheelset.
Careful which Shimano wheels. Some of the carbon alloy laminated versions have separated due to heat. I mention Campy Shamal Ultras - they can be purchased with a Shimano cassette body. Light, stiff, and great brake track. Only 17mm internal wide though. Used them in the Italian Alps last summer with 30mm Corsa Control. Worked well.

Funny story about Tre Cime and cars. When I was last there, at the first switchback near the bottom, a full sized motor coach tour bus got lodged in a switchback completely blocking the road, and promptly broke down. We slipped around it and had the climb to ourselves (other than cyclists) both up and down. On our way down, the bus was still there with two heavy tows trying to figure out how to dislodge it. (Yeah, Dolomites is too busy - don't think I'll be going back so soon.)
Those Campys look really solid. Little bit pricy for a alu wheelset but i guess it is what it is if we are talking about quality stuff:)

Oh...can imagine this incident could make a day worse for many people (those in the bus and all the cars) but much better experience for you when you were climbing/descending all by yourself. But yea, overall it is very crowded in Dolomites.

Nooks

by Nooks

OnTheRivet wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:14 pm
This happened to me on Deer Creek in the Santa Monica mountains (I know how to ride a bike too) and the next day I was shopping for disc brake bikes. Did the Mike Nosco ride on the Disc bike, as we were going down a super steep hill behind the lead car at the start I heard at least 3 tires blow from overheating. Was so glad to have gone disc and never have regreted it.
I had the same exact thoughts when it happened to me. Get rid of the bike and buy a new one with discs. I still have it in mind but will probably wait till next year. But just to be sure I am checking the offers of used bikes daily, because you never know:)

Nooks

by Nooks

Matt28NJ wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:34 pm
Sulliesbrew wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:26 pm
I don't know what the price of HED wheels is in europe, but HED JET Blacks are pretty amazing set of aluminum wheels, the jet 4s are only a 100 gram hit over zipp 404s and are on parity aero wise.

Sullie's got it 100%. Any of the Jets, Belgium+/Ardenne series would be perfect for you. Either the deeper Jets or the shallow aluminum wheels will give you confidence and reliability.
HED's are more expensive in Europe due to customs and VAT and also I found HEDs only in UK which is also complicated because of Brexit :(

Nooks

by Nooks

Guys, right now I am leaning towards the Campagnolo Bora WTO 45. Will check if I can find good deal somewhere. What do you think about these wheels? I read only amazing stuff and reviews about them on forums. The only thing that "bothers" me is that I ride Shimano as a drivetrain :roll:

jlok

by jlok

Nooks wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:28 am
Guys, right now I am leaning towards the Campagnolo Bora WTO 45. Will check if I can find good deal somewhere. What do you think about these wheels? I read only amazing stuff and reviews about them on forums. The only thing that "bothers" me is that I ride Shimano as a drivetrain :roll:
The best quality wheelset, with hubs and rims designed as a whole package rather than sticking random hubs and rims together. It's not fashionably wide nor the lightest, but you will love the stiffness for cornering. No tape is needed for tubeless if that's your thing. The hubs just keep spinning with very very low maintenance needed. A safe buy I'd say.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Nooks

by Nooks

jlok wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:34 am
Nooks wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:28 am
The best quality wheelset, with hubs and rims designed as a whole package rather than sticking random hubs and rims together. It's not fashionably wide nor the lightest, but you will love the stiffness for cornering. No tape is needed for tubeless if that's your thing. The hubs just keep spinning with very very low maintenance needed. A safe buy I'd say.
Well the deal is, I cant go wide, because of the brakes as you can see on the picture. This is with 30 mm wide rims so I guess I can go max to 27 mm?
To be honest I like the design of the Zipp's 303 FC but I am not sure how wide they are in rim brake option (hit the Bike24 with a question and no answer, google also didnt help much). And also read about their hubs that they are meh, nothing special for the price.