Bucket list recommendations for European cycling ventures

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I would extend Picos de Europa to the whole of Cantabria / Asturies area. So many climbs, never far way from the ocean. Easy to have a swim (o a surf ride if you dare ) after a good cycling session. Locals are also less talkative and will not want to become your friend after just having met you as opposed to Spain, more “European” which I really appreciate (but is personal preference of course)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

tommasini wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:44 am
I've from the US and have closely followed pro cycling for decades. But travel to Europe to ride famous roads hasn't been on the top of my list - when I can kick my butt in many great places here in the US...and long airplane rides are not to my liking (I'm a skinny assed climber). But when I watch Col Collective there is an occasional tug at my heart to consider a cycling vacation across the pond.....in fact I have niece who lives in Grenoble France and she too encourages me to come stay. Oh an important note - my wife is not anywhere close to being a serious cyclist.....so if I went somewhere special to ride, she'd have to feel like she got "something" out of the trip

I'm intially drawn to Grenoble for obvious reasons....but also northern Italy/southern Switzerland. So...if you were to suggest a bucket list cycling vacation in Europe - given the wife would need to feel it to be speical too.......where/what would you recommend.

Oh - and to keep it on topic here at weightweenies - it's gotta include some epic climbs that beg me to bring my 13 and soon to be 12 lb Tommasini !!

An added bit of information - I don't ride with a power meter but as a 62 year old I can comfortably climb a 10 to 25 mile climb at 5% to 6% (Colorado Loveland pass, Trail Ridge Road, Independence pass) with 39-25 (used to do those in younger years with 42-23) For a euro trip I realize I will need a bit lower range. Distance- don't need to push myself into a deep void - gotta be up for the wife too.....so distances around 70 to 100 km are ideal.
Digging up an old thread but would love to hear if you went on the trip and if you have any pictures of the 12lb Tommasini!
Cinelli Superstar - Campagnolo H11
Tommasini Custom X-Fire gravel - EKAR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jadedaid

by jadedaid

I'd throw Girona in there as well, esp. with a non-cycling spouse. It's a wonderful little town so if you're there for a few days both of you can enjoy it. It's just a wonderful place to ride too - perhaps not as stunning as some of the famous climbs but you won't have a a bad ride there. I've ridden the hincapie loop more times than I can remember and it doesn't get old.

A climb that I've considered the most special in my adventures was Pico de Veleta via the Güéjar Sierra side. Long, hard, and stunning. Very little traffic too. I rode it from Granada, which again is an interesting city for non-cycling spouses.