Registration cost is getting out of hand

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Ya the cost has been going up hasn't it.

So around 10 years ago when cycling was still a casual hobby for me, I was OBSESSED with organized centuries and Gran Fondo's. It was a cool reason to drive my bike to a destination and ride new roads with SAG/nutrition support. Being able to naturally find groups of similar skilled riders and pace line was another big appeal.

Many in California were $60~120 back then. Did Levi's which was $160. Easily the most expensive at the time.

I recall around ~2016 is when Jensie Fondo was first announced. That year, the route largely mimicked Marin Century. But Jens Voigt was gonna be there, so I figured I'm definitely gonna do it. I went for early reg and I remember it was something like +$200 in the shopping cart?

I followed Jens during his time racing and liked him a lot. But even still, it was difficult to justify that price tag. Especially when the Marin Century route is "just okay" compared to Levi's which has spectacular bits. Nevermind the fact that I had already done Marin for half the cost. It was around this time that Phil's Cookie Fondo also debuted with an above-average price tag for its time.

In the following years, Levi's reg price pushed past +$200 from $160.

These influencer-led centuries, mang.

I mean I get it. They are using their leverage. And to be fair to BWR and Levi's -- these two rides gained much of their popularity organically over time. If you hang around the sport long enough in my area, you will hear about these rides thru word of mouth because people legit enjoyed them when they did it a decade ago.

And who knows, maybe Jensie Fondo was offering a way better product? I wouldn't know, because I haven't done any since.I distinctly remember I stopped doing all organized centuries when I got sticker shocked by the Jensie Fondo.

I was like, "Yo, wtf is up with this price?"
In the same breath I was like, "Yo, wtf am I doing with my life rn?"

So ya, you could say it was in that very moment where I ditched the flappy club kit, threw my oversized phone mount in the trash... and instantly overnight transformed into a super serious cyclist with unnecessarily tight race kit and deep section wheels (the type they warn you NOT to bring to these Fondo's cuz the roads can be BuMpY!!1!)

So thanks Jensie GF. Thanks a lot.

(Tongue in cheek aside, I do feel bad for people getting priced out. But supply/demand, growth of new cyclists from pandemic, the fact that some of these ride organizers had to eat huge costs due to 2020~2021 cancellations...., so are any of the world trends we see really a surprise? Alls said, many of the less popular organized centuries are still under $100. It's the majorly popular rides that have gone dramatically in price. I get that's a generality, but ya cash money dude)

still asking myself wtf I'm doing with my life rn

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I work in the auto industry. The dealers are charging $275 and hour and double book time. The funny thing is they are booked and cannot find any mechanics to take on all the money.

Too lazy to go get food? Just have it delivered. Too lazy to leave the house? Everything gets delivered. There is just so much money out there, why would anybody not raise their rates?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bruno2000

by bruno2000

wobbly wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:26 pm
80 euro for the Ronde in April seems reasonable to me. All signed route, feed stations and an atmosphere the day before the Pros ride. Or could be wet and miserable and having to walk on the bergs...I'll take a mudguard bike option just in case.

Was quoted over 200USD for L'etape for this year :shock: :shock:
That's way over-priced, quite some years back it was only 25€.
As 'local hero' I still want to pay to ride there roads (even if I can do them every week) as the added value of the oranisation is matched with the price.
Price has increased pover de past 10 years a lot, added value has not...

kode54

by kode54

The organizers see the demand...and capitalize on it. Isn't alot of the gels and cycling-specific snacks donated by companies for their own marketing and promotion? Even on some of the most expensive organized rides...the roads are even closed to traffic. Maybe an off duty cop to direct traffic at busy intersections.

Its not worth paying that much especially if you ride the same roads day in and day out or even some of the time. I now only do one organized ride these days and its typically gravel since rest stops aren't readily available on the gravel roads like streets (gas stations, coffee shops, etc.).
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Nothing wrong with enjoyis a sportif or whatever they call them. I have done a few, the Leige Baston Liege was great. I think Fleche Waloon was my fave, cost 10 euro to enter. Had an old guy slicing Salami and cheese at the feed zone. Finished at a local hall for a bowl of pasta.. all run by local people and club.. that was great and a while ago..

Now with the gravel scene they got you where they want you.. you buy the new "gravel bike", the special "Gravel bibs" all the kit ...so they know you will pay stupid money to do one of the "races"

For all these kind of events the truth is its prob. more fun to do it with a few mates on any other day of the year..
LEvi's Grand fondo is a perfect example. You dont want to do that ride with thousands of choppers on the road, marshals yelling at you about the center line and having to pay a lot of money when you can do some of the best riding in California for free any other day of the year.

The real shame is cycling was a grass roots type of sport where local people put on races now its a lot of hyoe / marketing with loads of sponsorship from bigger companies which is fine, except that all the grass roots races like Boulivard RR or Devils Punchbowl here in California are dissapearing.( Mount hood / Cascade Stage race) Everyone it seems would prefer to "Race"belgian wafffle ! :noidea:

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

JMeinholdt wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:59 pm
I'm actually strongly considering trying to organize a race, but I wouldn't know where to begin.
I know a few federations actually have a "race organisers pack" with a step by step guide on how to organise.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

We're actually considering, as a family, knocking it on the head, my partner has lost most of their sponsorship deals this year (not much opportunity for results over the last couple of years, and, TBH, once you get to a certain age, it gets harder to shine!) so we'll have to pay for everything, even the entry fees, my kids are now of an age where i'll not be paying any more, and looking at the events they want to do, half a dozen entry fees might pay for flights, a hotel and half board in the alps for a week. Which they'll much prefer, rather than driving all over northern europe to do another weekend of racing (which might get them 2 or 3 hours of riding time). When you add in all the time fuel and so on... i really can't see them carrying on.

Me, i've not raced for a while, and as far as events go, i only ride stuff i'm invited to these days, and that's getting much rarer.

I can see a lot of chilled out camping and AirBnB trips in my future!

borist

by borist

After moving to the US, my only options for racing seem to be Gravel or Crits. Crits might be cheap, but when you also have these pro/semi-pro teams dominating them it's not that fun. Also, I just don't want to risk crashing that often....

So I get into some Gravel with the hopes of racing again. Unfortunately, these entry costs have forced me to be very selective with what events I do.... yes they are all amazing, but as mentioned above, it can be easy to spend many thousands of dollars just on entry + travel.... I'd much rather fly to Europe/Japan or somewhere else for a real holiday. Wish I could do one race a month, but with the logistics and costs I'll only end up with 4ish this year.

I also have a problem with all the ex-pros racing against us. Sure it's cool to have them there, but wasnt the whole point that regular people like us could have a change to win a race? More events need to start having a separate event for the super elites, so that we can go back to having a group that is competitive, but for people with real jobs and a family :P

PS. Mentioned above, but the LA Tourist Race is amazing. Cheap, great community and super fun... hoping more people can get events like this going.