2022 PRO Thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ave

by ave

Was Lopez fired to make space for cavendish in Astana?

flying

by flying

ave wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:52 am
Was Lopez fired to make space for cavendish in Astana?
Nah Astana claims Lopez was involved with a suspicious doctor
Yet no proof of wrong doing or failed testing has been brought forward
Lopez is suing
The Colombian was dismissed by Astana earlier this week for what the team claimed in a press release was the discovery of “new elements” showing López's “probable connection” with Dr Marcos Maynar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

Pidcock lops nearly two minutes off the Sa Colabra (Majorca) strava KoM.
https://road.cc/content/news/tom-pidcoc ... kom-298121

jcrr

by jcrr

I imagine few people care currently, but Mathias Flückiger is no longer banned. See here: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mathias-f ... -test.html
Really missed him during the '22 XC races...

I'd like to ask those of you in BE (and EU for that matter), what, if anything, has become of Toon Aerts? Really miss what he brought to CX races...
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

jcrr wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:11 am
I'd like to ask those of you in BE (and EU for that matter), what, if anything, has become of Toon Aerts? Really miss what he brought to CX races...
Or you could ask a Canadian. I also miss Toon Aerts' contributions to the CX action. Apparently he will be informed shortly of his punishment. There is some precedent for this type of infraction and it is not good for Aerts. Could get a two year ban. There is something out of balance given that the trace amounts do not indicate intentional doping.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

C36

by C36

Unpopular opinion but I am not of those who want to see Cav back or beat Merckx record. You have his jerk attitude on one end and the hype around him wining one more tdf stage seems way exaggerated. Even with 35 wins, that that would only remain a tinny fraction of what Merckx did.

spud

by spud

I agree that Cav seems to be a prick most of the time, but nobody is going to confuse his merits as a rider vs Merckx. The possibility of breaking the record contributes to viewership, so it's good for everyone involved.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

C36 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:01 am
Even with 35 wins, that that would only remain a tinny fraction of what Merckx did.
The only people who think this way are people who are looking for an excuse to bash Cav.

Maybe somewhere out there is a deluded Cav superfan living in his mother's basement who claims getting the TdF stage record would mean Cav is better than Merckx but I've never seen or talked to anyone who does. I think that pretty much every normal person recognises that they are two completely different things.

C36

by C36

Over the last few weeks, the vast majority of the cycling websites or posdcast I listen did made saga out of Cav future, "The Placeholder" probably has the record talking about it 5 weeks in a row. I stopped counting the times it has been mention "it would be so cool to beat Merckx record" without putting in perspective that is comparing apples and oranges. His future seems to take (IMO) an abnormally large space, mostly built on the possible record.
Just one recent example https://cyclingtips.com/2022/12/cavendi ... n-in-2023/ "Mark Cavendish and Astana-Qazaqstan have reached an agreement for 2023, both parties aiming to make history at the Tour de France next summer by beating Merckx’s record number of stage wins once and for all – the Manxman having equalled the tally of 35 victories in a highly memorable 2021 Tour."

maquisard

by maquisard

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:37 pm
I think that pretty much every normal person recognises that they are two completely different things.
Exactly this - Merckx and Cavendish have achieved the same end result in Tour wins but via completely different means and in different eras. That is what makes the record fascinating.

- Merckx more of an all rounder so more stage opportunities but he was doing it in a era of less specialization when it was more possible to be a dominant all-rounder.
- Cavendish a dominant sprinter and (very) arguable that sprint finishes with a controlled sprint train are easier to control.
- Both riders had 'ups and downs' in their career due to crashes/injuries.

In short, impossible to compare. I hope Cavendish breaks the record next year, but that will take nothing away from what Merckx did nor will it make Cavendish 'better' than Merckx.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The competitive half-life of a sprinter is so short, I find it remarkable that Cav even has a chance to surpass Merckx's stage win total.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

C36 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:54 pm
I stopped counting the times it has been mention "it would be so cool to beat Merckx record" without putting in perspective that is comparing apples and oranges.
Right, because they assume their audience are normal people who realise this already. When they only mention the record, they really are only talking about the record, not the entire legacy.

C36

by C36

Karvalo wrote:
C36 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:54 pm
I stopped counting the times it has been mention "it would be so cool to beat Merckx record" without putting in perspective that is comparing apples and oranges.
Right, because they assume their audience are normal people who realise this already. When they only mention the record, they really are only talking about the record, not the entire legacy.
Part of me thinks that without this « record » we would barely talk about what Cavs future is. Since when a old sprinter future is a main topic ?
Possible that being offseason there is space for such a secondary topics to talk about…

Karvalo

by Karvalo

C36 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:54 pm
Since when a old sprinter future is a main topic ?
Possible that being offseason there is space for such a secondary topics to talk about…
Since it's the best sprinter ever being talked about. People were still interested in Cipo in the late stages of his career. Hell, they're still interested in him now.

C36

by C36

Karvalo wrote:
C36 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:54 pm
Since when a old sprinter future is a main topic ?
Since it's the best sprinter ever being talked about. People were still interested in Cipo in the late stages of his career. Hell, they're still interested in him now.
No… I think this is a bad example, I followed Cipollini career very closely and I can ensure it was not making headlines when he signed to Liquigas end of 2004 season (and that was just 2 years after 2002 world title and 2 giro victories in 2003). That was the one example I had in mind when i though how out of proportion Cav coverage was. But as I said… I know it’s not a popular opinion.
Last edited by C36 on Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com