2022 PRO Thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

toronto-rider wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:17 pm
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:56 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:I see that Jumbo-Visma have confirmed their material choices for 2023. SRAM it is and, much to my surprise, they won't be going with SRAM-owned Time pedals but will use Speedplay!

I hope they're ready to warranty a lot of pedals!!
It’s a somewhat strange switch at this point. SRAM must’ve paid a ton of money and shown Jumbo their new stuff (hopefully a consistently performing front derailleur). Maybe Jumbo had it with Shimano’s crappy power meters and mediocre wheels. I do think it’s mildly interesting that Jumbo are going with Reserve wheels rather than Zipp, but maybe that’s part of their agreement with Cervelo. UAE have clearly upgraded their equipment while Jumbo has more cross-graded their equipment. We shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
All about the money. Shimano could not match the money that Sram offered. Nothing against Sram, but you wont find any pro team who buys their equipment and is not sponsored by Sram; they all buy Shimano. Interesting about Reserve wheels, not much of a player, I dont think anyone would have those wheels over Zipp, Enve, or Roval. But the bottom line, the pros are so good, not going to make a difference.
Shimano is a pretty massive company with much deeper pockets than SRAM. I think it's more the case that Shimano chose not to match SRAM's offer. Getting Jumbo into their sponsorship portfolio was obviously worth more to SRAM than it was to Shimano to retain them.

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

Most of the top teams in MTB are on Sram, and 1x is the preferred option, and has been for a while.
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MilesG813

by MilesG813

BenSiskri wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:06 am
Most of the top teams in MTB are on Sram, and 1x is the preferred option, and has been for a while.
We are all painfully aware that SRAM has little regard for front derailuers.
2022 Specialized S-Works SL7 I Ultegra R8170 I Princeton Carbonworks 6560
2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 I 105 R5700 I Zipp 404s

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Teams like EF Education-Tibco-SVB are buying SRAM for Clara Honsinger and Zoe Backstedt because it is clearly superior on dirt. I would imagine this gives them a huge incentive to switch to SRAM for their road racing too as it would simplify their logistics quite a bit. How many dropped chains have we seen from CX racers running 2x 12-speed DA Di2 (and not GRX) this season alone?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Keep in minded that all teams that use sram for cx are forced to run 1x because 2x didnt work (constant dropped chains).

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

robbosmans wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:28 pm
Keep in minded that all teams that use sram for cx are forced to run 1x because 2x didnt work (constant dropped chains).

Weren’t Shimano road teams dropping chains last season due to being forced to run 11-speed chainrings? The point is teams are more-or-less forced to buy SRAM for MTB and CX. Now there’s a UCI gravel circuit too. On-road, Shimano’s advantage is less obvious. If Shimano doesn’t step it up with M9200/8100 and RX820, then I could see SRAM stealing more teams.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Yeah true, I also prefer the sram clutch mechanism over the shimano clutch mechanism. Shimano definitely needs to step up their off road game, but they still struggle with supply issues

pastronef

by pastronef

UCI gives Israel entry to all WT stage races (3 GT excluded where they still need wild cards)

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-ov ... -reprieve/

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:46 pm
The point is teams are more-or-less forced to buy SRAM for MTB and CX.
For what, just because they want electronic?

Slightly unfair comparison but I have mechanical GX and XT 12s and the XT is so much better it's a joke.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Two seasons ago, Trek-Baloise had lots of problems with there Sram drivetrains ruining many races for vdH and Aerts.
At least in CX, 1x also has disadvantages as it means they have to change rings and cassettes often to match course profiles. Doesn't sound to bad, but if you think about how many bikes and wheels every rider uses, this is quite a lot of extra work.

Willier

by Willier

Can't find a pic( only saw IG story), but looks like Pogačar is on enve bar +stem combo and not one piece handlebar
Last edited by Willier on Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LOWIEV

by LOWIEV

WVA & MVDP are just on another level.
What a race!

Karvalo

by Karvalo

A couple of amazing battles two days in a row. If they both hold form it'll be a great rest of seaso !

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Another one tonight

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

I don't normally watch cyclocross but that was a gripping race on a fantastic course. The skill and fitness of WVA and MVDP is on another level.