2022 On the road today

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Miller

by Miller

Wednesday/Thursday/Friday last week I rode King Alfred's Way, Cycling UK's "350km circular off-road adventure route through 10,000 years of history". It's a big gravel/MTB loop through Southern England and the route passes close to my home so it's been on my to-do list for a while. I rode my Ridley Kanzo with minimal luggage and G-One Bite tyre rear and Ultrabite front. As I'm not much for camping I'd arranged two overnight stays at a hotel and a pub.

Perhaps I had underestimated the KAW course as my average speed was so low that daylight hours became a concern and I was flirting with nightfall upon reaching both overnight stops. The toughest part was the South Downs Way on the second morning, I think it's properly MTB territory. The Ridgeway was also very slow going on a day of constant drizzly rain.
One stupid mechanical late in the ride: provoked by the constantly rough terrain a base layer escaped the seat pack, fell out and wrapped itself round the rear disc brake. I had to remove the wheel and cut it free.

Over the three days I recorded 360km/4200m/20 hours. I felt very tired this weekend after that. There again, I did a lateral flow test on Sunday to find that I am positive for Covid.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

Three days in eight minutes.

Aryeh

by Aryeh

100k hilly loop yesterday starting from Luray, Virginia. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Stunning colours man

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Miller

by Miller

On Sunday I went to Langollen in North Wales to watch and video the RTTC National Hill Climb championship on the Old Shoe climb. That was 400 riders testing themselves against a steep climb with 194m of elevation in front of a raucous crowd. Here's what it was like: this one starts quiet but it gets noisy.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Awosme two of my Kingston wheelers buddies were racing that day.. Let me know if u got any footage of them mate

Miller

by Miller

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:49 pm
Awosme two of my Kingston wheelers buddies were racing that day.. Let me know if u got any footage of them mate
See in the video at 47 seconds.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Yea saw jasper

Aryeh

by Aryeh

On Sunday I did a very flat ride to the beach and back.
100mi, 900ft elevation gain.
Previously the least elevation I've had for a century was 4000ft with my average century being around 6000-7000ft.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Which beach is this? Nice ride,

ms6073

by ms6073

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:24 am
Which beach is this? Nice ride,Image

I am thinking that looks like beaches you would see along the lower east coast of the US like the Cape Hatteras national sea shore in North Carlolina.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

Miller wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:26 pm
Wednesday/Thursday/Friday last week I rode King Alfred's Way, Cycling UK's "350km circular off-road adventure route through 10,000 years of history". It's a big gravel/MTB loop through Southern England and the route passes close to my home so it's been on my to-do list for a while. I rode my Ridley Kanzo with minimal luggage and G-One Bite tyre rear and Ultrabite front. As I'm not much for camping I'd arranged two overnight stays at a hotel and a pub.

Perhaps I had underestimated the KAW course as my average speed was so low that daylight hours became a concern and I was flirting with nightfall upon reaching both overnight stops. The toughest part was the South Downs Way on the second morning, I think it's properly MTB territory. The Ridgeway was also very slow going on a day of constant drizzly rain.
One stupid mechanical late in the ride: provoked by the constantly rough terrain a base layer escaped the seat pack, fell out and wrapped itself round the rear disc brake. I had to remove the wheel and cut it free.

Over the three days I recorded 360km/4200m/20 hours. I felt very tired this weekend after that. There again, I did a lateral flow test on Sunday to find that I am positive for Covid.
Surely using a hotel/ pub is cheating...... :wink:

However well done, I'd love to do something similar. There's very little off road near me, unless you count the Leeds/Liverpool canal path....and having ridden sections, you're always stopping either for other riders, fisherman or walkers.....
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

Miller

by Miller

BenSiskri wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:04 pm
Surely using a hotel/ pub is cheating...... :wink:

However well done, I'd love to do something similar. There's very little off road near me, unless you count the Leeds/Liverpool canal path....and having ridden sections, you're always stopping either for other riders, fisherman or walkers.....
Credit card touring, innit. I'm not big on camping tbh, don't even have a tent. I like my shower and food at the end of the ride.
Riding on towpaths can be nice but it can also be maddening for the reasons you say.
Maybe you'll have to travel and do an event. Dirty Reiver next April?

nismosr

by nismosr

This weekend Gravel Ride with the Palta .. Mohonk and Minnewaska State Park Preserve !

2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante