Cleanest light setups

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Show me your cleanest light setups!
(Pictures please)
I need some inspiration.

IvanZg

by IvanZg

This is what I use. Light is mounted to the k edge with Garmin’s quarter turn mount. The only difference to the photo is a small plastic piece that adds few mm of stack height. It's a solid fit with this size/mass of light and it does no rattle after more than a year of occasional use

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartacus

by spartacus

Check out exposure. They have a rear tail light with an optional mount that tucks it up under the saddle. Their bigger headlights also can be used with a gopro style mount or mounted on the underside of handlebars with their mounts.

usr

by usr

I'm quite happy with mine: a small "Garmin male" under the bars/out-front interface that works for both the tiny single-cell "it might get dark" light (that wears a simple garmin handlebar mount on it's back, angle permanently adjusted by squeezing in some butyl scraps as needed) as well as the big external battery "full night ride" monstrosity (modified Philips, this one is the 2013 edition). The big one uses the Garmin UT-800 adapter (available separately) for connecting a Gopro interface to the Garmin male: this way I keep angle adjustment through detach/reattach cycles.

IchDien

by IchDien

Garmin varia UT 800 front light underneath a k edge XL for me - super clean set up.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

ImageImageImageImageImage

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

bluebottle81

by bluebottle81

I can second exposure lights. One of the great features of the way they mount is that the light does not screw to the mount and you can easily snap the light in and out of the mounts to charge after each ride or switch between bikes (they are also very lightweight!).

There is a GoPro mount for the front lights, but the cleanest solution are these 3d printed 'Tidylight' mounts that you can attach to the underside of an out front Garmin mount like so:

They were actually developed by a member of this forum and you can buy them from ccache.cc. Whilst very clean, they are quite expensive (AUD65-70!) and can be a bit finicky to get right. First you need to make absolutely sure you get the correct angled mount as it is very difficult to adjust (but somewhat possible with the use of a DIY rubber shim). Secondly you need to see if there is a tidylight that matches the bolt spacing of your garmin mount. If not you can purchase one of ccache's garmin mounts that will match the tidylight (they make them to fit many bikes/bars), but that is another AUD80!

But I am a bit OCD about a clean bar setup so it was well worth going to the effort!

As mentioned by spartacus above the rear light saddle mount is also very clean:

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Thanks for the suggestions, I ordered a Bontrager Ion 100 and a Blendr mount for it. Which should be fine for daytime rides. The Exposure Tidylights combo does look really sleek but I don’t ride that much in the dark.

For the rear I think I might go Exposure Trace and find a way to attach it under my saddle.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Bontrager Ion Pro RT is one of the best nighttime headlights anyway, and the Blendr mounts are great. Just as easy to attach as anything else with a much smaller interface than that Exposure setup above.

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

This is my setup, a customized and reinforced Hyperstem Garmin mount (1st gen). Only a few grams heavier than the original.
Since the picture was taken, the Garmin edge adapter pictured is now replaced with a lower stack adapter. It is pretty thick on the picture, bought this one instead, only 5.10mm stack https://www.bike24.com/p2118794.html

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Quite impressed by how bright this thing is. Now just need something for the rear, but my new bike got delayed so that will have to wait.

kppolich

by kppolich

Shapeways Specialzed Mount with GoPro to Bontrager Ion adapter. Have this on all 3 bikes. Flare/SWAT mount is nice too!

Discodan

by Discodan

Just saw this from Canyon, if your bars can take the mount then it's the cleanest set up I've seen so far

https://www.canyon.com/en-au/gear/acces ... 06598.html

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

kppolich wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:10 am
Shapeways Specialzed Mount with GoPro to Bontrager Ion adapter. Have this on all 3 bikes. Flare/SWAT mount is nice too!
@kppolich, could you share a link to the Bontrager Ion adapter please? Struggling to find the correct one. Thanks!

Flasher

by Flasher

robbosmans wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:04 am
Quite impressed by how bright this thing is. Now just need something for the rear, but my new bike got delayed so that will have to wait.
Wondering what the clip fitting to the Ion is?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com