Richmond park (London) attacks on cyclists and bikes stolen

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Hi guys and gals please be extra vigilant in and around Richmond park at the moment as some very nasty incidents over the last two days. Please forward to anyway you know who rides around those areas to help make them aware
Safe riding ImageImageImage

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

It's mad that motorised traffic is allowed in the Royal Parks; they're meant to be places of leisure; instead they get used as rat runs....
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Bike jacking has been happening in the Berkeley Hills here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Masked men in a pickup truck run you off the road, except here they have guns instead of machetes. They know exactly what they’re looking for and where to find them (the nice climbing roads.)

MoPho

by MoPho

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:03 am
Bike jacking has been happening in the Berkeley Hills here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Masked men in a pickup truck run you off the road, except here they have guns instead of machetes. They know exactly what they’re looking for and where to find them (the nice climbing roads.)
Has that still been happening? I knew it went on for a few weeks earlier in the year, but haven't heard of any recent attacks. I've been avoiding riding over there all summer :(

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MoPho wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:15 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Has that still been happening? I knew it went on for a few weeks earlier in the year, but haven't heard of any recent attacks. I've been avoiding riding over there all summer :(

It happened maybe 3x earlier this year…not sure if it’s been ongoing.

MoPho

by MoPho

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:19 am
MoPho wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:15 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:

It happened maybe 3x earlier this year…not sure if it’s been ongoing.

There was at least 5 and I believe there may have been a few failed attempts too. There was a lot of news coverage about it and it seemed to have stopped, hopefully

ak47

by ak47

Can't believe what a shithole UK has become. It's like a third world south american country now with mobile phones, luxury watches and bikes being stolen every single day.

Llanberis

by Llanberis

What an individual can do if you got into this kind of situation, is it really just hand over your bike now? They usually move in packs and with knifes / guns and a solo rider simply stands no chance; waht is the local law enforcement adivsing to do now, only ride in groups?

IchDien

by IchDien

What happened was awful and I hope the police step in to do more and cut down on this.

When it was happening a lot up near Treviso / Montello / Conegliano (north Veneto) the advice from the Carabinieri was to only ride in groups which we did as often as possible but seems a bit like passing the buck to me.

My girlfriend's dad was a (Corpo) Forestale and gave me some pepper spray which I trained for a while with in my back pocket but nothing ever happened and god knows what I intended to do with it anyway :lol: I don't think there is anything you can do in that situation TBH.

Ultimately it's just bad luck if they find you but Richmond Park is a relatively small area with one hell of a lot of expensive bikes. As far as I'm aware the criminals were probably targeting Treviso for the same reason - lots of pros live and train there.

Strangely enough I used to ride with Alex in Veneto; a really friendly guy which makes this all the worse.

kode54

by kode54

If you did use the pepper spray...it could make matters worse. No telling what could happen either way.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm in Knoxville TN and we had an incident of an attempted bike jacking at a popular mountain bike trailhead.

Other than carrying a gun, pepper spray, or knife and be willing to use it I'm not sure a rider is going to do.

The other option is to put a tracker on your bike (Apple Airtag?). Maybe the police will find the criminals and it will deter them? You might even get your bike back.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

This from today another one stolen just outside the parkImage

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Llanberis wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:38 pm
What an individual can do if you got into this kind of situation, is it really just hand over your bike now?
Yeah. Remember that viral "how to win a knife fight" video? Run away.

And be insured.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Would be a good time to install I tracker if I where to live in London

tjvirden

by tjvirden

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:19 pm
This from today another one stolen just outside the park[IMG]

I don't think it will be too long before they're pulled - it's such a visible crime, and the stuff is distinctive. False plates won't help them, but they're not too bright - that's why they're doing it......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com