Tyres !

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Fellrunner

by Fellrunner

What tyres are people using and recommending ?

There's a bewildering array out there, I'm wanting something that rolls well, offers decent grip and good puncture resistance.
Am I asking too much in a road tyre ?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Pls repost this in the everything wheel thread in the road section, thanks! I’ll delete this once you repost it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

In case you didn't repost and get your answer, the Continental Grand Prix 5000 is considered by many to be the best all around road tire on the market today. It's the fastest rolling tire that has a useable life and puncture resistance for everyday training There are a few faster tires, but they are intended for events and time trials, where you are willing to sacrifice tire life and puncture risistance for speed. I'm on my second set and find them to have excellent grip even on wet roads.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

kode54

by kode54

Odd , everyone that I ride with has gotten multiple punctures the first week if not the first day on them. Both tubeless and tubed. Not sure why sealant didn’t plug one instance but it sprayed all over including on me!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I had 7,400km on my first set of GP5000's (700x25) with no punctures on the road. I did have two flats that were slow leakers that I discovered at home during that time. When I replacemed them the rear wear marks were barely visible and the tire was squared off. The front actually looked OK and probably could have gone another 3-4k. I have about 300K on my replacement set of GP5000's (700x28) and knock on wood no issues yet. I have another set on a second bike and have had no issues, but they don't have that many miles on them.

I'm 79kg and ran 95/100psi with the 25's and 85/90 with the 28's. Butyl tubes in the 25's and Latex in the 28's if that matters at all.

A few people in my club have the tubless version and all but one has had good results. Of course I've seen a lot of mixed results of tubeless in general hence my decision to stay with the clincher version. We have one guy in our club with Specialized tubeless tires that seems to have a flat weekly going through 3 rear tires.

If you don't like the Contenental the new Perelli P-Zero Race looks interesting. We have a couple people in our club that run the previous version and seem happy with them. Not that any tires/tubes will suddenly make you Tadej or anything but out of our three fastest riders two use Continental GP5000's (one with latex tubes, the other with tubeless). The last of the three rides Specialized Turbo Cotton tires with latex tubes.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Dylanlspangler

by Dylanlspangler

Personally, I had GP5000’s but recently switched to Vittoria Corsa’s. I love the ride quality over the GP5000’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miller

by Miller

Yes, GP5k ride quality while fine is not, as magazines put it, class leading. However my TLR pair roll on unscathed into their 3rd season of use. They're not giving me any excuse to buy new tyres.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Omiar

by Omiar

GP5000TL is a great all-around tyre but if you want the feel on cotton, you need to look elsewhere. Once I switched over to Veloflex, I use GP5000TL on races where there are gravel sections, because going 45kph+ cotton isn't very durable anymore :D
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022