Declining eyesight and Garmin

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

hlvd

by hlvd

Over the last year my reading eyesight has declined so much that I now can't really see the figures on my Garmin 520 whilst riding.

I've looked but there doesn't seem to be an option to increase font size and strangely enough, even with only two or three data fields it stays the same size.

Can someone with the same experience share how they overcame this?

Is there a computer that can increase font size, Wahoo maybe?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Wahoo can “zoom” so the number will be bigger, maybe backlight options

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Neillp

by Neillp

How bad is your eye sight? Is it just reading glasses your need?

hlvd

by hlvd

Neillp wrote:How bad is your eye sight? Is it just reading glasses your need?
Hi, yes, just reading.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Similar issues here, I can’t read without glasses period, using a bike computer without glasses is not possible. Have a WE Bolt and as stated above can increase font by decreasing data fields but I need glasses for my S10 anyway. Distance sight is still pretty good, no problem so for the last few years have been riding with Tifosi bifocals and all is good.
BB

Coffee & carbon

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I use this CIQ app. to custom design my screen. I make the important data fields super large so I can easily read it. For other less important data fields I make the font size smaller. I love Garmin's CIQ functionality. The attached image is not my screen but a sample screen on what's possible on a Garmin 1030. If you have the means the 1030 will definitely allow you to see all of the numbers. It has a much larger screen than the 520.

https://forums.garmin.com/developer/con ... ms-diy-1-6

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Dual Eyewear. Check them out. I use them when I travel. At home I don't care what my Garmin says.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Neillp

by Neillp

hlvd wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:39 pm
Neillp wrote:How bad is your eye sight? Is it just reading glasses your need?
Hi, yes, just reading.
I have the same issue and I use stick on reading lenses in my cycling glasses, they work in a similar way to Dual Eyewear but mean you can use almost any glasses. They work suprisingly well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optx-20Optx-St ... NrPXRydWU=

ico

by ico

I went with Garmin Edge Explore. I don't miss anything except maybe incline. But I got better navi and of course large display.

HotWireMyHeart

by HotWireMyHeart

Really noticed this the last couple of years as I hit my late 40's. I've both Garmin and Wahoo computers and, yes, the Bolt does truly "zoom", as in, if you can live with fewer data fields at once then the display will re-jig as you press up and the data font size increases. I used that exclusively for while.
I'm both long and short sighted- my/my opticians solution this year was to spec one contact lense to be good at distance and one for reading. Apparently, not everyone can cope with this but it works brilliantly for me, my brain just adjusts on the fly and I can see at all distances again.

hlvd

by hlvd

Mr.Gib wrote:Dual Eyewear. Check them out. I use them when I travel. At home I don't care what my Garmin says.
Maybe not, but I do like to keep an eye on my heart rate when riding.

Some days it can be higher than usual, whether that be dehydration, anxiety etc, but I've learnt that if it's like that to just ride within my limits or I'll suffer for days.

I also ride with power but they don't necessarily tie in together on days like these.

dmp

by dmp

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:22 am
Dual Eyewear. Check them out. I use them when I travel. At home I don't care what my Garmin says.
Yes, this is the answer. If you already wear Rudy Project glasses they make lenses with readers, too, but I have been very happy with the fit, optical quality and durability of the Duals.

Getting old stinks.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

hlvd wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:39 am

Some days it can be higher than usual, whether that be dehydration, anxiety etc, but I've learnt that if it's like that to just ride within my limits or I'll suffer for days.

I also ride with power but they don't necessarily tie in together on days like these.
Wahoo
Just got the Bolt as I didnt want a large computer on the bike.
Being able to adjust the number of fields on the screen on the fly is a Godsend

I dont train with HR but do train and race with power, so I can zoom in on the power field when it counts, or increase the total number of fields when it isnt as important
I specifically got it as I was having trouble reading the power numbers on my 530 but as Im short sighted (and its slowly getting worse), I really had no option but to increase the font size to read it without straining or taking my eyes off the road for too long

hlvd

by hlvd

Andrew69 wrote:
hlvd wrote:

Wahoo

I dont train with HR but do train and race with power, so I can zoom in on the power field when it counts, or increase the total number of fields when it isnt as important
I specifically got it as I was having trouble reading the power numbers on my 530 but as Im short sighted (and its slowly getting worse), I really had no option but to increase the font size to read it without straining or taking my eyes off the road for too long
That’s great, thanks for replying.
All I want really is time, power, hr and cadence, and probably miles travelled.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Andrew69

by Andrew69

hlvd wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:49 pm
Andrew69 wrote:
hlvd wrote:

Wahoo

That’s great, thanks for replying.
All I want really is time, power, hr and cadence, and probably miles travelled.
The data fields on the Bolt are totally customisable via the app
You can select what field you want and in which order (up to 9)