Declining eyesight and Garmin

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

hlvd

by hlvd

Andrew69 wrote:
hlvd wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:49 pm
Andrew69 wrote:
hlvd wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:39 am
Maybe not, but I do like to keep an eye on my heart rate when riding.

Some days it can be higher than usual, whether that be dehydration, anxiety etc, but I've learnt that if it's like that to just ride within my limits or I'll suffer for days.

I also ride with power but they don't necessarily tie in together on days like these.
Wahoo
Just got the Bolt as I didnt want a large computer on the bike.
Being able to adjust the number of fields on the screen on the fly is a Godsend

I dont train with HR but do train and race with power, so I can zoom in on the power field when it counts, or increase the total number of fields when it isnt as important
I specifically got it as I was having trouble reading the power numbers on my 530 but as Im short sighted (and its slowly getting worse), I really had no option but to increase the font size to read it without straining or taking my eyes off the road for too long
That’s great, thanks for replying.
All I want really is time, power, hr and cadence, and probably miles travelled.
The data fields on the Bolt are totally customisable via the app
You can select what field you want and in which order (up to 9)
Thanks, if you've only got two or three data fields does the font increase to fill the space or does it stay the same like my Edge 520?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Andrew69

by Andrew69

It increases to fill the space.
As you increase the number of fields, the font size is reduced.

hlvd

by hlvd

Andrew69 wrote:It increases to fill the space.
Thanks for that, I did have a look earlier on prices but it seems the Bolt is out of stock everywhere.

R0CKETMAN

by R0CKETMAN

Prelex

hlvd

by hlvd

R0CKETMAN wrote:Prelex
Too old and too poor.

hlvd

by hlvd

Hi, how are you liking the Bolt?

They’re out of stock everywhere but there’s one in my lbs, only concern is that there might be a new model coming out due to stock levels.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

hlvd wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:55 pm

They’re out of stock everywhere but there’s one in my lbs, only concern is that there might be a new model coming out due to stock levels.
So far its been great.
Quick to acquire satelites, very easy to read and change on the fly and the battery life (even with the backlight on inside or in the early morning) has been fantastic.

I dont use the mapping, but I could see how people prefer a Garmin over the Bolt for mapping. The mapping does look ordinary.

Oh, still seems to be stock in Australia so I dont know if there is a new veriosn coming or its just due to high demand

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

My Edge 830 was fine in font size but I just started doing gravel rides. All of a sudden I have trouble seeing the navigation screen clearly due to the bumpy nature of gravel riding. I rely on navigation prompts when doing gravel rides. I'm only 50 years young but with very poor eyesight. I wear reading glasses of +1.75. I ordered a 1030 Plus and hopefully that will help. I'm passing down the 830 to my son who is now doing gravel rides with me.

hlvd

by hlvd

pdlpsher1 wrote:My Edge 830 was fine in font size but I just started doing gravel rides. All of a sudden I have trouble seeing the navigation screen clearly due to the bumpy nature of gravel riding. I rely on navigation prompts when doing gravel rides. I'm only 50 years young but with very poor eyesight. I wear reading glasses of +1.75. I ordered a 1030 Plus and hopefully that will help. I'm passing down the 830 to my son who is now doing gravel rides with me.
The 1030 is a lot of money but an awesome piece of equipment.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

hlvd wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:55 pm

I like my bolt. And I don't even like modern technology. I generally don't always like what everyone else likes (just for the sake of it) :mrgreen:
I think you should just get it. They're starting to become out of stock here too in Australia. I snapped up one of the last ones from Qantas. :twisted:

I could be wrong but I don't think they'd release a new model so soon.:?
I think the stock issues are simply that it is a popular product (perhaps more popular than they anticipated) . + coronavirus wreaking havoc on supply chains & logistics
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

hlvd

by hlvd

Anyway... a few things happened in 2020 and 21, anemia which rendered me unable to ride my bike anywhere far, which turned out to be bowel cancer, needing a right hemicectomy op.

I'm now recovered enough to start back on Zwift but still got my Garmin 520 which I still can't read 😂

I love data, and riding without my cadence, hr and power just doesn't do it for me. Is there anything new out there which will zoom the font enough to be readable?

McByker

by McByker

BBB do a range of cycling sunglasses with reading inserts. Fairly cheap and remarkably effective :)
https://bbbcycling.com/uk_en/bsg-59-imp ... nformation
https://bbbcycling.com/uk_en/bsg-64ph-impulse-reader-ph

ms6073

by ms6073

BZ Optics also do bi-focals and prescription eyewear for sport/cycling.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

At age 65 I have been using reading glasses since my late 40's. I used to get away without them on the bike to read my computer. No more. I use cheap cheater sunglasses that I pick up on Ebay. I also do have prescription sunglasses but ther cheaters just fit better with my helmets, This way I can read, protect my eyes from sun and bugs and trail debris when mtb or gravel riding.
Last edited by Juanmoretime on Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

hlvd wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:33 am
Anyway... a few things happened in 2020 and 21, anemia which rendered me unable to ride my bike anywhere far, which turned out to be bowel cancer, needing a right hemicectomy op.

I'm now recovered enough to start back on Zwift but still got my Garmin 520 which I still can't read 😂

I love data, and riding without my cadence, hr and power just doesn't do it for me. Is there anything new out there which will zoom the font enough to be readable?
very pleased to read you are better. Another option, which I followed as I also use (low powered) readers with my contact lenses, is a computer with sharp graphics that are easier to read at a given font size. After trying many I found the Hammerhead Karoo 2 which is awesome in every respect and a good value compared to the competition.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com