Cycling YouTube channels

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

hlvd

by hlvd

robbosmans wrote:I cant watch GCN anymore with Manon’s voice, I really dont want to hate, but some people just dont have a the voice to present stuff.

I only watch vids from Si and JPow
Where did Jon Cannings go as it seems to be Manon on everything of late?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

hlvd wrote:
robbosmans wrote:I cant watch GCN anymore with Manon’s voice, I really dont want to hate, but some people just dont have a the voice to present stuff.

Cannings only works on the background, sad

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hlvd

by hlvd

robbosmans wrote:
hlvd wrote:

Cannings only works on the background, sad
That's a shame as I liked him.

gwilson

by gwilson

I miss Jon's insight, but he constantly spoke in the same 5 cliches which got annoying at a point. Seems like whenever they have someone new it takes them a while to find their "presenter voice" but once they settle in, they become quite interesting and good (I found Ollie and Chris were both like this). Mannon has a lot of experience riding for someone so young, so I'm sure her insight will be quite interesting once she's a bit more experienced at presenting.

okimy

by okimy

gwilson wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:10 pm
I miss Jon's insight, but he constantly spoke in the same 5 cliches which got annoying at a point. Seems like whenever they have someone new it takes them a while to find their "presenter voice" but once they settle in, they become quite interesting and good (I found Ollie and Chris were both like this).
Most presenters are good, my favourite currently being Jpow, these are the only GCN videos I watch anymore. Hank is too over the top for my tastes, but people seem to enjoy his videos I guess, so fair play to him.

themidge

by themidge

My current favourites:
  • Francis Cade - love the daily vlog style, his videos are always interesting and well filmed.
  • Chris Millar Racing - Australian racing and training basically, really interesting to see inside a conti team and he does great reviews.
  • Lanterne Rouge - insightful and funny breakdowns of pro racing.
  • Vegan Cyclist - funny guy, I especially like his race breakdowns and videos about riding in Yosemite.
  • SAFA Brian - epic descending!
  • Cyclespeed Tours - a forum member :beerchug: great videos about Tubular tyres especially, very chilled out.
  • Cameron Jeffers - I much prefered him when he was doing daily vlogs, but he's still engaging and no doubt the content will pick up again once racing gets going again in the UK.
I think it mainly comes down the personality of the Youtuber. In my list above there's quite a range of video style, but I find all of the people making them engaging and sincere while still being amusing.
I used to watch GCN regularly, but I feel like I've grown out of it as I gain more and more experience as a cyclist. Also the new presenters are quite annoying, it was the best back in the day when it was just Simon Richardson, Dan Lloyd, Matt Stephens, and Tom Last. Jon Cannings was also great, the GCN tech channel has really dead vibes now he's gone, after all it was basically his creation.

sychen

by sychen

Agree with missing Jon Canning. His video on stuff like Corsa Corsa Tokyo is one of the best ones.

Hanks over the top, borderline stupidity is in itself entertaining.

Mannon brings something different.. Ex trackie.. Pretty inexperienced on the road. Her welsh really comes out when she's knackered (see 100mile on 100pound bike video). She's almost more like the rest of us rather than a true ex road pro in road cycling ability. Rather refreshing.

Not sure about about Connor Dunne. His brother in law is more interesting so far.. Then again so is Hank's dad!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

RTW wrote:
Dannnnn wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:11 pm

GCN - very repetitive and so over sponsored/bias in their reviews but Manon Llloyd
You know that GCN doesn't review things, don't you? There wont be a score, or a 'this is better than that'. It interests me when people say this, because I wonder what they have seen which they think is a review.
Maybe reviews was the wrong word. Whenever they're talking about anything it's just too over sponsored, they just use what they're told and recommend who they're sponsored by ( I know that's how it works) Would be nicer to see them make some actual decisions instead.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

alicetaylor1

by alicetaylor1

I have looked a lot on different youtube channels about cycling. I want to start my own channel now. But I think I am not ready. Has anyone started?

alanjob

by alanjob

I've watched a lot of cycling channels on YouTube. My favorites are the ones where people share their bike trips and give tips. It's fun to see what's special about their experiences. When I thought about starting my own channel, it seemed a bit scary at first.

I did start my own cycling channel and finding the right editing tool was a big help. I use a free mp4 editor to make my videos look good. This makes editing easier and helps keep the video quality high. You can see what I mean in my latest video about cycling in Tenerife, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGHdUIxPj_o.
Last edited by alanjob on Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

petje891

by petje891

Anyone liking Tour de Tietema YT channel? Think it is not mentioned here before. Really nice to see the prgression these guys made, from just joking around to a pro conti team in 5 years or so!
Giant TCR Advanced 2021 - 6.8 kg

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

Chris Miller podcast is the only thing that's consistently interesting "gotta watch"
Oompa Loompa is good. He has some interesting people on there.
Tour de Tietema is great
Lanterne Rouge for racing breakdowns
Vegan Cyclist but he doesn't post much anymore
SAFA for trainer watching
Cycling Tattooist vlog style

The tech candy channels:
GC Performance
Zero Friction Cycling
Leuscher
Hambini
Peak Torque
China Cycling
Rides of Japan
Twisted Wheels
ETOE
Silca tv

smaller and random channels:
Bomayne - I forget his name. Does chinese product reveiws out of Chicago area.
Kerry Werner
Norcal Cycling
Chainless TV

sportive cyclist - random, funny dude. casual cyclist
EF Education - they have great behind the races and rider candid stuff
Fresh Crits - great race breakdowns

happy to be off my feed:
Cade Media is unwatchable and insuffereable
Durian and Oz cycling are proof Australia started as a prison colony -perma blocked

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

alanjob wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:38 pm
I've watched a lot of cycling channels on YouTube. My favorites are the ones where people share their bike trips and give tips. It's fun to see what's special about their experiences. When I thought about starting my own channel, it seemed a bit scary at first.
agree! I sub to some of these but they are inconsistent so I always forget the names. But yes, these are great.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I will go as far as to say that maybe 70 percent of the active posters here and especially the pre-covid members have more cycling knowledge (tech, technique, training) than any channel out there. Maybe even the combined knowledge of all the channels put together.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Miller

by Miller

I have a channel, 280 videos currently, which this year has edged into monetisable territory, not that that is what it's for. You can find it here:
https://www.youtube.com/@Millerbike01

It's mainly about cycling but there's a fair few gig videos, some nature items and some random things (random things occasionally come up trumps for views).

I am not a youtuber. I don't stick my face in front of the camera and I don't tell people what to think. As much as I have a manifesto it's to let people experience what I experienced with great video and audio quality.

Here's two minutes of the local chaingang on Saturday.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com