What hex and torque wrenches do you recommend?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Right now using Park Tool and some Home Depot brand hex wrenches that seem to have some play. What premium brand/model do you recommend?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vinny

by vinny

If you really want a premium brand, i would go with snapon mac or some other professional mechanic tools. Even snapon is cheaper than silca, and there are tons of car mechanics that swear by snapon. Car mechs are much harder on there tools than any bike tech would be

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Ride fast Take chances

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

The new Park Tool THH-1's are great.

The Beta 951 series also worth a look at.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

AnkitS

by AnkitS

The 1.5-10 PB Swiss rainbow pack is nice. Been using them for almost a year now with now issues. One of my bike shop buddies has the new sliding t handle park tool set and likes them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IvanZg

by IvanZg

I use this set from wera. Also have a set of standallone wera hex keys but do not use them any more after I got their ratchet and bits. Everything works great.

https://products.wera.de/en/zyklop_ratc ... yklop.html
https://products.wera.de/en/torque_tool ... e_a_5.html

NickJHP

by NickJHP

+1 on the PB Swiss hex keys. I prefer the ones with a short L and slightly less than 90 degree bend:

Etienne

by Etienne

I have 3 torque wrenches, for different use :

> a small & handy Ritchey 5 Nm ... for quick check of stem screws essentially

> a Syntace adjustable torque wrench for delicate parts and/or initial build of a new bike ... very easy to use, accurate but more expensive, for torques from 1 to 25 Nm

> a no-brand for torques above 15-20 Nm up to 40 Nm (BBs, cassettes, etc.) ... no real need for accuracy here in my opinion :?

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Ordered the Park Tool TW 5.2 and 6.2 torque wrenches along with the 18-piece socket/bit kit. I also added the Wera 9-piece hex kit. For the last three years I've been using the 1/4" Park Tool 5 torque wrench with an adaptor that was getting annoying.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

marian

by marian

I use Park Tool HXS - 1.2. in the home workshop, but to ride using unbranded hex wrenche.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Torque tools? None. Learn to do it by hand/feel.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Noctiluxx wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:42 pm
Ordered the Park Tool TW 5.2 and 6.2 torque wrenches along with the 18-piece socket/bit kit. I also added the Wera 9-piece hex kit. For the last three years I've been using the 1/4" Park Tool 5 torque wrench with an adaptor that was getting annoying.
I have the Park 5.2 with the socket kit.. solid set.

Most of the time I use my Silca hex wrenches.. the ones that come in the fancy wooden box.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

flying

by flying

I use the Pro Bike Tools torque wrench for all the small things.
Works well is calibration tested for accuracy
https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Bike-Tool-To ... 369&sr=8-2

I also use a full sized Craftsman Torque wrench for the Campy Ultra Torque crankset

Hex Wrenches I have a few sets but surprisingly many times I just grab a spare Topeak Hexus II multi tool I have laying near the work stand :)

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

Personally, I'd recommend a Park Tool ATD1.2 for everything 4-6Nm that is delicate. From there on, other things can usually be done by hand as long as you don't go crazy on the strength. Feeling what 6Nm is like on the ATD1.2 can usually help you guestimate what 8Nm is like, and once things go up to 10-12Nm, the acceptable-range becomes a lot wider. If youre like me, and are anal about proper torque, I have a cheap 30 USD torque wrench I got off amazon that I use on the rare occasion I need to adjust something in the higher torque ranges (10-22Nm). CDI also makes a nice adjustable torque wrench that ranges between 2-8Nm, and can be found for around 35USD on eBay.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cleaner

by Cleaner

Slop in the interface with fasteners may be fasteners out of spec, not an issue with the tools necessarily. Bike industry uses a lot of crap hardware to lower costs.

CDI torque wrenches (A Snapon owned company for much lower price).

I use this more often than click type wrenches on bikes. You can find this for less $, I think I paid $44 for mine.

https://www.amazon.com/Products-TorqCon ... 8711&psc=1

Hex keys: Bondhus for low cost excellent quality and readily available
Wera for the Hex Plus profile which is a great design (not cheap in USA but you can order them for Europe half the US cost). The short L metric hex set can be had for $5 in the USA plus shipping. Some of the Wera L style wrenches are round save for the ends which prevents access through hex shaped holes for buried fasteners so keep that in mind.