What hex and torque wrenches do you recommend?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tepextate

by tepextate

1llum4 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:06 am
tepextate wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:42 pm
I wanted to bump this thread, as I'm looking to pick up some quality torque wrenches during the holiday shopping season this year.

Do any of you guys have suggestions on quality torque wrenches for both smaller ranges (2.5-15NM) as well as larger ranges (10-50NM)?

I've been eyeing the Wera torque wrenches from KC Tool, but I'm a bit unsure as to how to get them calibrated when it's time since I'm based in the US. Anybody here in the US who has Wera torque wrenches that can chime in?
I have the Wera Click Torque A6 and love it. Wera has a USA office and can do recalibration from there so no need to send it back to Germany.

https://www-us.wera.de/en/torque-servic ... d%20States
Wow. I don't know how I missed that. Thanks for sharing that info.

Do you have a torque wrench for higher torque components (BB, lockrings, etc.)?

tepextate

by tepextate

1llum4 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:06 am
tepextate wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:42 pm
I wanted to bump this thread, as I'm looking to pick up some quality torque wrenches during the holiday shopping season this year.

Do any of you guys have suggestions on quality torque wrenches for both smaller ranges (2.5-15NM) as well as larger ranges (10-50NM)?

I've been eyeing the Wera torque wrenches from KC Tool, but I'm a bit unsure as to how to get them calibrated when it's time since I'm based in the US. Anybody here in the US who has Wera torque wrenches that can chime in?
I have the Wera Click Torque A6 and love it. Wera has a USA office and can do recalibration from there so no need to send it back to Germany.

https://www-us.wera.de/en/torque-servic ... d%20States
Wow. I don't know how I missed that. Thanks for sharing that info.

Do you have a torque wrench for higher torque components (BB, lockrings, etc.)?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1llum4

by 1llum4

For >30nm torque needs for bike application require less precision than low torque. My Ultra-Torque crank bolt require a torque of 42 to 60nm so <5% precision is not really needed in this case. The torque range is bigger than any difference of precision between brand. So most can do the job fine. All depends on how much you want to spend for it.

kervelo

by kervelo

The Syntace torque tool is made by Wera:
https://r2-bike.com/SYNTACE-Torque-Tool ... cial-Offer

tepextate

by tepextate

1llum4 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:26 am
For >30nm torque needs for bike application require less precision than low torque. My Ultra-Torque crank bolt require a torque of 42 to 60nm so <5% precision is not really needed in this case. The torque range is bigger than any difference of precision between brand. So most can do the job fine. All depends on how much you want to spend for it.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the insight!

gipogipo

by gipogipo

I am in the market for a new torque wrench, and narrowed my choice between wera a6 2,5-25Nm and topeak digital d'torq 1-20Nm, I can get both for about the same price.
I am tempted by the accuracy of the topeak, but I know topeak is probably a rebranded item while wera makes great tools.
Any experiences and opinions?

kervelo

by kervelo

gipogipo wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:09 am
...Any experiences and opinions?
I think I would choose the Syntace Torque Tool instead of Wera. The tools are pretty similar and both are made by Wera, but the Syntace version has the range 1-25 instead of the standard 2.5-25.

Etienne

by Etienne

kervelo wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:30 am
gipogipo wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:09 am
...Any experiences and opinions?
I think I would choose the Syntace Torque Tool instead of Wera. The tools are pretty similar and both are made by Wera, but the Syntace version has the range 1-25 instead of the standard 2.5-25.
I use the Syntace torque tool with Wera hex bits ... excellent combo, not cheap but accurate and easy to use.

usr

by usr

[edit: double post, is there a way to delete?]
Last edited by usr on Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usr

by usr

matioli wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:31 pm
I am looking for this Silca products https://bikeshop.no/silca/silca023/silc ... -kit-2-8nm
Anyone knows is this a good product?
It's a tool with a torque gauge (a rather small one), not the set-and-click type. Most people seem to prefer the set-and-click type, as they feel far more advanced technologically - the gauging type is just so simple. But I consider set-and-click unnecessarily complicated and greatly prefer the gauging type.

The main difference is the failure mode: with the gauging type, the failure mode lies in the operator being careless and not looking at the scale hard enough. With set-and-click, the failure mode is in the mechanism getting clogged or whatever and then triggering at a very different torque value than expected.

If you need absolute precision, like, I don't know, assembling an Apollo lander or something like that, you'd definitely want the set-and-click type. And daily check it's calibration against a gauging type, just to be sure. Similarly when you operate a factory, with dozens of workers who on any given day might be going through the hangover of their life, you'd want the set-and-click type, and annually checking against a gauge would probably be enough to make them better than gauging. But when you are working on you own bikes, celebrating your latest indulgence inn luxury parts, I believe that gauging will be far more reliable. There simply isn't anything on there that can lose calibration due to storage conditions, being operated in reverse or having been stored with the wrong setting. If, on a gauging type, the pointer is bent (assuming a pointer setup, not the sleeve type of the Silca), you notice, you bend it back to point at natural in neutral and are done.

Zack89

by Zack89

kervelo wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:18 am
The Syntace torque tool is made by Wera:
https://r2-bike.com/SYNTACE-Torque-Tool ... cial-Offer
Great stuff, I'm using it since an year amd I'm really satisfied

Dorpel

by Dorpel

I prefer Facom for everything.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Having used the following daily for quite some time now,

Wera
ParkTool
Effetto Mariposa
Bondhus
Halfords Professional
Teng
PB Swiss
Nepros

I would say the best by far are PB Swiss. They are such a snug, secure fit, very positive and never once have I worried about stripping a thread on smaller fittings (2-3mm).
The others all have thier use and my go-to 8mm for 54nm cranks is my Nepros piece.
I use my ParkTool sliding T-handle 4, 5 & 6mm a lot for general use, also my long 4&5mm Effetto pieces for use with their torque wrench.

The ones I could go without are the Teng, Bondhus and Halfords.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

customtune

by customtune

ryanw wrote:Having used the following daily for quite some time now,

Wera
ParkTool
Effetto Mariposa
Bondhus
Halfords Professional
Teng
PB Swiss
Nepros

I would say the best by far are PB Swiss. They are such a snug, secure fit, very positive and never once have I worried about stripping a thread on smaller fittings (2-3mm).
The others all have thier use and my go-to 8mm for 54nm cranks is my Nepros piece.
I use my ParkTool sliding T-handle 4, 5 & 6mm a lot for general use, also my long 4&5mm Effetto pieces for use with their torque wrench.

The ones I could go without are the Teng, Bondhus and Halfords.
PB8326A?Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1llum4

by 1llum4

I think RyanW is only talking about hex wrenches/bits.