What hex and torque wrenches do you recommend?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Roel W

by Roel W

Facom 84TZA series (striaght end). They do come in a 6 or 8 pcs set but those have a ball end.

Raimundo

by Raimundo

Just the other day was selecting HEX bits for my saddle bag toolkit, and had the opportunity to pull my calipers out and compare what i had in the toolbox, i had Facom, Wiha, Hazet, PB Swiss and some other no name (from a Topeak/Wera micro ratchet). I was not impressed at all:

All the brands had no consistency whatsoever within their own native group, e.g. #3 would be showing a good fit, but then the #4 from the same brand/set would have a higher proportional deviation, and so on within the brand/set...

If i was to pic the bits that had a good snug fit and were caliper checked, i would have to cherry pic across brands.

Regarding bit finishing/looks the PB Swiss are clearly ahead even going the full mark on attributing a different colour to each size, visually they are gorgeous.
Only the ones that came in the Topeak/Wera looked like crap, the engagement tip was certainly cuted by a blind dog. Maybe they were using 3rd party bits to drive down costs 🤔. Although tolerances were comparable to all the brands i had at hand. Thats that.
The other brands were visually good, nothing to write home about. Plain professional look.

Although i do suspect that the Hazet bits could have a smidge higher Hrc than all the rest, and in my book that's a main point!
The Hazet bits will promptly oxidate if you show them a glass of water, i believe their carbon content is quite high therefore, leading to a higher Hrc. Wiha claims this higher hardness on their product page, but i have yet to experience this in real life conditions.

So after all this turn off after measuring the different brands, i just kept the PB'S for the saddle bag, because bling matters also. And keept the other ones for workshop use.

On the torque wrench side i use Facom, they're used by some of the biggest motorsport teams and also by some of the biggest car manufacturers in France. I actually don't understand why they don't get mentioned that often around here.
And their guarantee is second to none.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ypuh

by Ypuh

I have experience with Unior, PB Swiss, Wera and cheap Chinese hex keys and ratchets.

Even though I used the Wera rainbox hex keys for 5+ years, I don't find them the best. Probably best value for money, yes, but the 'Hex-plus' feature more often broke something than it helped me. Same goes for the ball-end, I would try and avoid using that as much as possible. Bolts on bikes are simply too soft to have such a small contact area. The 6-8 Nm mark is well out of it's operating range obviously, but same goes for the hex-plus feature. The rainbow coloring is very handy.

My vote also goes to PB Swiss as being the best. The straight type heads and fit are excellent. Ever since I bought their bit ratchet that's pretty much the only thing I use (PB-6510 R-30).

For cycling specific tools I prefer Unior over Park Tool. Park has a few great options, but also a few that are heavily overpriced or simply relabelled with a higher price tag. Unior is more of an automotive quality brand -made in Europe and 100+ years in the business- that also has been manufacturing their own cylcing related tools for a long long time (yes Unior, you can contact me for sponsorship). Across the board their tools are more durable and build to last.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.