Home grown chain lube.....no, not the religious way ;-)

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jlok

by jlok

I got 3 chains rotating at 500km interval between 2 cassettes totaling 15500km. Park Tool CC-4 measures them still a long way to the 0.5 wear mark. Do you think I can get 24000km out of this set of chains and cassettes?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

jlok

by jlok

I find the need to resurrect this thread when I see people arguing the use of food grade paraffin or candle wax, PTFE or not, etc...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

MrMagura wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:46 pm
Nothing else than xylene really works. Been there, done that. Turpentine evaporates very slow, and attacks some types of paint.
Toluene is not much nicer to be around than xylene, and is also not dissolving proper.
When applying lube, you also need to clean the chain somehow, and that takes about as long as just hot dipping the chain, and let the lube clean the chain.
If you just aplly lube without making sure the dirt gets out of the chain somehow, you in fact bring the dirt into the bearings.

Having said that, neither brings much adhesion, where hot dipping the chain is far superior.
If you want to have some kind of emergency lube, just use plain paraffin oil.
I have not run into that issue for years though, as I simply make sure to have a few lubed chains ready at any time.
If a chain runs out of lubrication, it's mostly dirty as well, so pouring lube on is not a good idea, as that creates a grinding compound, rather than lubing the chain.
All you gain is that the chain stops screaming, but in fact the net result is not really better.
I did that exactly in a recent 6-day tour. Heavy rain first day and the chain started to squeal slightly at the end of the 2nd day. Got baby oil in convenience store and applied it to the chain, wiped excess and let "dry" overnight. Chain stayed "lubed" the following days and easy cleaning back at home. No chemical was used other than warm water and detergent with a tooth brush to clean the cassette and pulley wheels. The chain will be lightly cleaned later and taken out of the pool of 3 chains for the next trip.

otnemem

by otnemem

Jesus wept.

poulhansen

by poulhansen

MrMagura wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:42 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:16 am
I do have the Rohloff cassette checker although I haven't really used it yet as all my cassettes are still new.
That makes you a fairly rare breed! 8)
Most people have never heard of it.
I have one as well :lol: And I use it when buying vintage bikes for restoration. It saves me a lot of searching and also money.
Cannondale Super Six HiMod 2017 6.7 kg
Cannondale six13, 2004, 5.50kg
Focus Izalco Max, 2023 4.418 kg