Torque wrench options

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Nefarious, when I started buying Colnagos I dedcided I was going to do all my own wrenching. I bought the Effetto and it's been wonderful. I also bought a Park torque wrench for the bigger items but that's only used on a few things and very rarely.
Colnago e Campagnolo

basilic

by basilic

I have a Hazet 2.5-25 Nm
serious German tools, great reputation
claimed accuracy is 4%

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Brynhildr

by Brynhildr

Nobody using the Bontrager Preset Torque Wrench? IMO it's probably the best preset one you can get, the Ritchey one isn't so ergonomic, & it's much cheaper than the Park Tool offering.

IMO very useful for small setup changes in the Cockpit. Saw one hanging out in a Cannondale-Garmin mechanic's toolbox too.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

This is the way to fly- https://amzn.to/2XUzGK9 $25 and small enough to carry with you at all times; easier to pack, lighter, and smaller than most multi-tools.

Cheap, beam type are usually more accurate than all but the best clickers, and small enough to carry in your flat kit. The bits and wrench are the same size as two tire levers.
Last edited by jfranci3 on Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

IvanZg

by IvanZg

jfranci3 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:33 am
This is the way to fly- https://www.amazon.com/Venzo-2-10NM-Bic ... tor&sr=8-5

Cheap, beam type are usually more accurate than all but the best clickers, and small enough to carry in your flat kit. The bits and wrench are the same size as two tire levers.
This looks interesting. What do you think, would it fit in casing made out of PVC pipe with 1 1/2" OD?

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I’ll measure, but yes it should fit. There’s a pic showing it smaller than a quarter at its largest point. Not sure why you’d ask that question though. You could just tape it to your saddle rail.

Edit: 115mm long x 32mm head length x 24mm wide at the scale for the wrench. Smallest bore it would fit into is around 35mm based on the 33mm wahoo mount shown.

Edit2: Noticed some guy on Amazon showing this to only be 75% accurate in a review using weights. He did a bad job of measuring if the pic is accurate. It is likely 90-100% accurate (so 5.4nm insteat of 6nm), which is far better than your multitool on a ride.

IvanZg

by IvanZg

Thanks for the measurements. I use saddle bag that has boa as tensioning and it needs to be tighten very tight to avoid rattling on descends so need some sort of hard case for it. Although i’ll probably go for something rectangular in shape rather then pipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Interesting. I've raced and continued riding afterwards for four decades now. I've never had a single time where I actually needed a torque wrench while out on the road. Seems like unnecessary overpreperation to me. That's a nifty wrench though.
Colnago e Campagnolo

dricked

by dricked

Torque wrenches are for amateurs

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Are you measuring bolt stretch?

dricked

by dricked

That would be the least amateur thing to do but no, I’m a human torque wrench. I recalibrate my wrist daily.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I think the only thing you calibrate is giving yourself wristies daily if that's your attitude when dealing with weenie or carbon parts.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

dricked

by dricked

It was bit of a joke and I can tell you’d be the fun guy at a party...

After using tools for most of my life and daily I can gauge pretty well when to stop turning the fastener. I’ve read about more than a few people applying the manufactures recommended torque and cracking carbon parts so to live and die by the torque wrench isn’t always the way especially if it hasn’t been calibrated or you don’t know how to use it properly.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Every time someone says that around me, they get challenged. Everyone has been off to a hilarious degree.
In a factory setting, tightening the same bolt repeatedly, a tq wrench is 10% better than a human. Tightening to a certain torque, than adding x degrees of turn, as you do with critical AL bolts, is something like 15% more consistent and accurate than human. Measuring bolt stretch is also 15% so or better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dricked

by dricked

Again, it was a bit of a joke but if we’re measuring the difference of 10% on a 5-6nm torque spec who’s to say that my torque wrench isn’t out of spec by 5-10%? Over/under tightening by ~.75nm isn’t going to result in catastrophe. They wouldn’t say to tighten something to be that close to the point of failure. A $50 torque wrench isn’t going to be perfectly accurate.

PS, I do own several torque wrenches and they do get used.