now i've seen it all. i just need to get this out

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Catagory6

by Catagory6

i've seen people playing music through speakers mounted on their handlebars. whatever. i wasn't in the vicinity for very long. and at least the guy had good taste in music (according to my own tastes. i thought of doing the same, for those long, solo rides)

earlier this year i was on a ride in blue-sky, bucolic vermont. guy had music blasting over his handlebar mounted iphone, with all strava info announced to the entire countryside every 5 minutes. whatever. he didn't last very long on the ride anyway.

today, i went out for my usual sunday stroll down an undulating country road, to a coffee shop in the next town 16.5 miles away. during my return trip i approached a group up the road. as i passed the first rider in the group i glanced over and took notice of the ipad on her handlebars, and the headphones plugged in, in both ends.

what is it going to be next? i can't even imagine.

btw, nobody in that group i passed seemed to be enjoying themselves at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I've seen mountain bikers do the portable speaker thing in typical flat-biller style. Never seen a roadie with an external speaker. See plenty of Freds around here with giant smartphones on their bars though.........have also ridden in the vicinity of guys who have live segments turned on as well, and that sucks.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

this is a result of cycling becoming "a thing", and generally the idea that being fit (or at least pretending to be fit) makes you trendy. many if not most people who run/ride hate it - simple as that. they hate the idea of spending so much time "doing nothing", but they need to meet social expectations so they have to do it anyway. which is where smartphones come in handy. IMHO if you need music or any other disctractions to make your ride bearable, mostl likely cycling isn't really your thing. if you need your phone constantly on in front of you (and I've seen guys 'doing stuff' while riding :!: I dunno what, texting, checking fb - hell knows) there are therapy centers that treat those kind of disorders. not to mention it's just freakin unsafe.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Something has gone wrong. It like those people running with headphones in there ears so they can't hear you as you approach from behind. Why not go run in. Sound proofed room in isolation from everyone instead.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I'll ride with a speaker in the bottle cage if I'm going out solo on the back roads to do efforts. Safer than headphones and keeps me entertained. Image
Using Tapatalk

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

bm0p700f wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:58 pm
Something has gone wrong. It like those people running with headphones in there ears so they can't hear you as you approach from behind. Why not go run in. Sound proofed room in isolation from everyone instead.
but they do, they're called gyms and fitness centers :lol: maybe not totally isolated, but there's one thing isolation takes away from you - attention. I happen to have a poshy gym in my office building, so I think I have observed quite well how it works - and I wouldn't say it's about sport or god forbidd effort in any way. but I do get to see plenty of nice gals, done like they were going for a lavish party, lots of dudes taken straight from male fashion catalogues. heck, I even know a guy (a decent mtb rrracer) who spends like this whole winter - cycling indoors in a gym. why? since he joined, quantinty of his fb friends sky-rocketed, majority of whom are of the opposite sex. so there's that, another mating ritual is what it all is :thumbup:

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:38 pm
I'll ride with a speaker in the bottle cage if I'm going out solo on the back roads to do efforts. Safer than headphones and keeps me entertained.
Nef, I'm sorry, but you're on the wrong side of the rainbow on this one. I don't know if it's a thing where you live, but here lots of early teenagers walk/ride around with small speakers? phones? wtf? playing crappy (both in quality and, erm,... genre) music out loud. nothing more annoying than a kid like that on a bus stop or walking few meters in front of you - just like cities weren't loud enough!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I posted this once before years ago and I'll post it again: If you ride with music, you don't really love to ride. (But hey, my first race was before the Sony Walkman was invented so... :noidea: )
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

AJS914

by AJS914

I used to think along those lines until I discovered podcasts and books on tape. For me, it makes a 2-3-4+ hour solo ride much more enjoyable. Of course, I don't listen to anything when I ride with other people or do a group ride.

nickf

by nickf

On the road it's rare to hear music, usually run into them on big charity type rides. But on the mountain bike it seems like there is always that guy in a group blasting music from his speaker strapped to a bottle cage. That's the last thing I want to hear while in the woods. Cycling is my escape from the noise. It's where I go to turn off my brain from life's distractions. Turn that shit off!

IchDien

by IchDien

I agree with a few posters above. There are times for and times not to.

The majority of my riding is done solo and during the day. It's only really once or twice max a week I'd get the chance to go with a friend or bump into people.

I like to listen to music pretty much all the time when solo, not only does it inspire me to greater effort but it definitely passes the time and I get to listen to new albums and new music I wouldn't have the chance to otherwise. Also, when I'm suffering and know I still have one hour to go, by myself, ...it helps a lot. There's a reason why athletes are banned from listening to music whilst competing!

As soon as I get even remotely close to someone in front of me going a similar speed, or sense someone behind me catching up with me, I remove my headphones completely. If they want to ride together for a bit I'll chat with them and be social. If they don't talk I'll keep my headphones off. If they cycle off or don't want to ride; well I'll put them back in after a minute or two.

I would never use headphones in a group, ever.

Maybe this is a generational thing? Pretty much every young person listens to music 24/7 on their headphones when they're not engaging in a social situation. Sorry, but I don't see cycling by myself as a "social" activity...

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

tymon_tm wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:38 pm
I'll ride with a speaker in the bottle cage if I'm going out solo on the back roads to do efforts. Safer than headphones and keeps me entertained.
Nef, I'm sorry, but you're on the wrong side of the rainbow on this one. I don't know if it's a thing where you live, but here lots of early teenagers walk/ride around with small speakers? phones? wtf? playing crappy (both in quality and, erm,... genre) music out loud. nothing more annoying than a kid like that on a bus stop or walking few meters in front of you - just like cities weren't loud enough!
Did you read my post? Rural back roads and solo is not = to city...

I agree about the noise being a pest in built up areas and on public transport etc.
Using Tapatalk

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Nefarious86 wrote:I'll ride with a speaker in the bottle cage if I'm going out solo on the back roads to do efforts. Safer than headphones and keeps me entertained. Image
I use trekz titanium for that. Much nicer :)

https://aftershokz.com/products/trekz-titanium

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

glepore

by glepore

Music, npr, podcasts (trainer road, cyclingtips, the move) if solo.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Another Trekz Titanium user.
My god they are sh** headphones. No bass, interfere with most helmet straps and often break. I'm on my third pair on warranty. Wouldn't recommend them for music, better for podcasts. If you buy them keep your reciept!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com