Time to weenie the repair kit.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Shrike

by Shrike

Randomly thought to weigh my repair kit. 454g!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lezyne Caddy Sack Medium 41g
Continental Race 28 tyre 105g
Birzman 20 Mini Tool 165g
Park Tool levers x2 26g (13g ea)
Lezyne Alloy Drive Co2 50g
Lezyne Co2 cartridge 59g (16grams)
Few misc repair patches

Let me preempt trite replies by saying you shouldn't go lightweight on your repair kit.

Okay, now. How do we go lightweight on the repair kit :P The Birzman tool and Caddy shack are two obvious candidates. Definitely don't need all those tools, some of them are for truing wheels and chain repair. Fine for longer rides, but for most stuff where I'm not too far from home I'd just call for a lift if a chain or wheel went. The Caddy shack is pretty beefy and tough, waterproof. That can go. Saved for longer wet rides or touring or whatever. Still want something that holds it's shape though. So no, don't want some wanky 2p sock you found in a charity shop that'll 'do the job' 8)

The tyre can maybe can get replaced with a light version, which I've got sitting around the house I think. The Co2 stuff.. maybe there's lighter options on the market.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

If you have to have a chain tool and (IMO you do) I think Lezyne carbon 10 is the lightest

C

PS also how you carry the tool can add weight.

PSS I think there might be an old old thread about this

Shrike

by Shrike

80g for the 10. Really nice. Thinking about it but some user reviews on retail sites are saying the tools round off really easily. Also, no 2.5 on it...

Still considering it though, the weight is ace and actual roadie review sites rate it well enough..

wingguy

by wingguy

No reason not to use a lightweight inner tube as the spare, IMO. That's 50 or 60g right there.

If you're confident in your thumbs and don't mind getting your hands dirtier you could ditch the tyre levers altogether I guess. Definitely wouldn't do that if it was remotely cold or wet though :lol:

Shrike

by Shrike

Yeah big difference there! Have a supersonic here... tempted! Would mean I could fit everything into a small case like the Rapha lightweight one. Nice smooth edges mmmm. Maybe order some Race 28 lights instead of going crazy with the supersonic 8)

thprice

by thprice

Lezyne SV 11 multi-tool. It has a chain breaker and 2.5 mm hex. Stainless steel so no rust. 105g

Shrike

by Shrike

Is it really 105g? Birzman do a carbon 10 one and that's supposed to be 112g which I was thinking to go for. Lezyne at 105 would be sweet, and cheaper :D

mr4fox

by mr4fox

I only ride tubulars so just carry a can of pitstop (and cross my fingers), a lezyne multi tool, spare quick link,a small valve tool and a presta-Schaeder adapter for inflating at a gas station (to get me home).

This might seem pretty limiting but I've only punctured once in 3 years (about 40000km). Well two other times I found Id gotten a slow leak after getting home. I guess the roads here in norway are pretty good but i haven't yet punctured while riding on tubs abroad yet (7 trips around Europe and one to the San Francisco area)...touch wood.

I have twisted a chain once and needed the chain tool and spare link and have even had a valve remarked loose and deflate the front tyre once so those.

It I still can't adjust deraileur limit screw easily because lezyne tools have the wrong sized Phillips head and the stupid 90 degree bend in the small alien key...grrrrr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

mr4fox wrote:It I still can't adjust deraileur limit screw easily because lezyne tools have the wrong sized Phillips head and the stupid 90 degree bend in the small alien key...grrrrr

Pretty sure limit screws are JIS so any Phillips head driver (even if it looks the right size) won't engage very well and could be prone to rounding it out.

Not really sure why bicycle multitools don't all come with the appropriate head for a limit screw because seriousy what else would you be doing with it?

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Exactly!! And Di2 front mech limit screws use the small alien key on the lezyne tools (2mm?) which is always bent at 90 degrees which just makes it a pita and it's not even possible to adjust the support bolt should you need too. But other wise they're still about the lightest tool with all the Alex keys and a decent chain breaker I've seen yet.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Cut the 90° bit off ;)
Using Tapatalk

silvalis

by silvalis

You could drop around 30g using a lightweight pump instead of the co2, eg a lezyne carbon mini pump (80g)
Chasse patate

kode54

by kode54

nice, i round my corners on the KMC missing link as well. not to reduce weight (although i'm sure it helps ;)) but to keep it so it doesn't get dog eared.

mr4fox wrote:Image

I only ride tubulars so just carry a can of pitstop (and cross my fingers), a lezyne multi tool, spare quick link,a small valve tool and a presta-Schaeder adapter for inflating at a gas station (to get me home).

This might seem pretty limiting but I've only punctured once in 3 years (about 40000km). Well two other times I found Id gotten a slow leak after getting home. I guess the roads here in norway are pretty good but i haven't yet punctured while riding on tubs abroad yet (7 trips around Europe and one to the San Francisco area)...touch wood.

I have twisted a chain once and needed the chain tool and spare link and have even had a valve remarked loose and deflate the front tyre once so those.

It I still can't adjust deraileur limit screw easily because lezyne tools have the wrong sized Phillips head and the stupid 90 degree bend in the small alien key...grrrrr

- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Norregard

by Norregard

That is some serious kit to haul around. I've never taken anything more than an inner tube (maybe 2 on a long ride), tire levers and a small pump on a ride, all stuffed in my back pockets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Just missing the case now.. haven't worked that out. Pretty much ordered upgrades for everything else. Will update when I finish the job :P