Well Designed/Subtle Jersey Options?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Point

by Point

Stolichnaya wrote:The zipper placement is a non-issue for me.

Interesting, and how do you find the fit?

One other thing that put me off - Looking at the front of some of the jersey's, they seem quite badly cut or even sewn (I think it may be the manufacturing process and the material was stretched too much on sewing resulting in the waves/bumps along the zip). Does your's roll like this when worn?

Tempted to give them a try though
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

Those Isadore clothes look really cool and the merino option is great but I would not say these are the most technical clothes available. Far from that IMHO.

Roel W

by Roel W

Another option coulkd be Pedaled (http://www.pedaled.com). Same style as Isadore but Japanese.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Every body fits differently. The Isadore are cut tight, so some people may be inbetween sizes and the jersey will fit oddly. Just need to find your brand. For me the jersey sits quite smooth. Mine is all black (actually a dark petrol color) and the understated color might make one think it is a simple item, but there's quite a bit of thought going into the designs. Well done, Velits bros.

I also am wearing a lot of Cafe de Cycliste. Most of their race fit jerseys are understated and very well designed. Rode their stuff in the Dolomites for a few weeks this season and it functioned flawlessly.

Point

by Point

Stolichnaya wrote:Every body fits differently. The Isadore are cut tight, so some people may be inbetween sizes and the jersey will fit oddly ...

I also am wearing a lot of Cafe de Cycliste ... functioned flawlessly.

Cheers for your thoughts! I'm a little worried with how slim the Isadore jersey's are after looking at their size chart. Very slimming around the waist.

I've been looking at Pedaled and find items in my basket, then talk myself out of it. The cut seem's really bad around the back of the neck, its too baggy on images I've seen. Also, their two pocket (two large pockets, one zipped) system just isn't practical on one of their jerseys. Still haven't said no on them yet.

Has anyone come across 7 mesh before?
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

kgt

by kgt

I can't see how this is one better than any low-end jersey from Castelli, Santini, Giordana etc.

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

PSA
Chapeau.cc have a 'yuge' sale on right now:

http://www.chapeau.cc/clearance.html?ut ... m_content=

Point

by Point

Ok, I received the Isadore jersey that I posted a few comments above.
I'm not hugely impressed, nor hugely disappointed.

TLDR: The jersey is undoubtedly well designed and well made with a superb mix of materials. The sizing however is questionable. Whilst a more slimmer 'race fit', it feels there is some confusion between the stretchyness of the material and the sizing proportions for each measurement. If it fits and you can put up with the deep and narrow zipped pocket... It's a great jersey.

My thoughts...

Pros:
- Comfortable material
- Great material choices, lighter mesh arm's and side panels are great - Perfect for UK summers, though may still be a little warm for some with this current heatwave.
- Design's are fantastic.

Cons:
- The fit is really odd (not helped by my odd body dimensions - broad shoulders, average neck).
- To fit my shoulders/chest, going by the size chart, xxl is the size I needed. On wearing the item, there is copious amount of excess material... And I mean, A LOT (further enhanced by how stretchy the material is). An XL would fit me better, or possibly even a large. This resulted in lots of bulging and bagginess on the front of the jersey.
- If sizing down smaller, the waist most likely wouldn't fit. Whilst the waist is elasticated, the seam doesn't have any stretch...
- The length didn't fit at all due to thinking to have to size up a couple of sizes. This resulting in further bagginess and rolling of the front of the jersey.
- Annoyingly the general thought is, broad shoulders/bigger chest, bigger neck... It isn't always the case.
- Don't go by the colours on the website or even their stated colours. The aforementioned/posted jersey looks like a warm grey main colour (fairly true colour representation) whereas the secondary dark green looking colour is 100% black). Whilst the colours are stated as grey black, poor image editing/photography lets things down a little - I understand aesthetic hero shots of the jersey, but standard garment images need to portray the true colours.
- The zipped pocket sizing is really frustrating. I do not have large hands, in fact... they're quite dainty and yet I know I would struggle with fishing items out of the zipped pocket. Compared to my TORM jersey, the pockets width is approx. 1cm narrower than the TORM and deeper. A little cumbersome.
- (Somewhat nit picking) The rear Isadore metal logo has a sharp part inside the material which isn't covered/sewn in well. It actually pokes through the material which would cause fraying, but worse, could scratch and cause discomfort.

Wow I waffled on there. Hopefully that may be of help to someone. I'll hopefully try a size down when I can get one...

Next choice... Hmmm
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

kgt

by kgt

Hipster marketing is cool but the products it promotes may not always be the best. Just get an Ale, Santini or Giordana... they make great looking, highly technical and affordable clothing since ages.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Kgt has a point, those brands are affordable and use great fabrics. But as mentioned everyone's body is different. When I wear jerseys from those brands I get those folds as seen in the Isadore pic above. Bummer. But like the OP, I also tend to seek out subtle jerseys and brands like ALE and Castelli were always off on subtlety even on the jerseys they clearly designed to be toned down. We could go on suggesting various brands and all so far here are worthy, but best advice is to take advantage of the season end sales, buy a bunch of jerseys from various brands and test them to determine what design features work for you. Happy hunting.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Just to thow a spanner in, anyone know any good plain skinsuits?
Using Tapatalk

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Nefarious86, Castelli seems to have a number of models, not sure those are your style.
Rapha has the aerosuit.
There are a number of smaller manufacturers putting out skinsuits that can be customized like Verge, Corbah, etc. I have one from Corbah and it is fine. It's nothing super high-end, but not tragic either. Above average pad, fits well and is plain black and white. (It also has two back pockets which are honestly handy.)

alpinestar

by alpinestar

I have a isadore jersy, after 1 ride there where treads comming through the fabric. I got is exchanged in the shop. Later after a few wash (according to the label) some of the read washed into the white part, so some of the white is now slight red taint. Also the fabric is in some places braking up in the surface. So I am most defenetly not impressed with the quality!
Rapah has a sale on, and the quality is just superb.
otherwise check out the Copenhagen based shop, Soigneur. They do a lot of great jersy/bib sets. Is made by bioracer, and its some of the best kit I have!
http://soigneur.dk/?product_cat=jersey
Example: Image

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Soigneur looks nice. Good tip!

Point

by Point

Has anyone used Aus brand Pedla?
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram