Camera Mounts and Assorted 3D Printed Parts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Nice work! I purchased the Di2 and a 27.2 camera mount. I'll let you know when I get them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

If there is a reason you cannot or will not hide the Di2 Junction 'A' and you want ot eliminate the wide Shimano rubber strap that goes around your stem, Maybe this is for you.
Di2 Junction 'A' Tape-on Clip

Mounting Instructions:
Here is how I would mount this. Using a piece of 3M Extreme Mounting Tape or 3M Outdoor Mounting Tape (you could also use the permanent hold tape if you never want to remove it), place it on the bottom of the clip and trim to fit. Carefully locate where you want to mount the clip on the stem and clean with an alcohol wipe. Pull the red backing tape and place clip on bottom of stem. Use a nylon tie strap to temporarily secure the clip to the stem. The recess between the two slide guides is plenty for even a thick strap without interference. After 24 hours remove the nylon tie strap. This will give you the cleanest installation possible and eliminate all indications of how its mounted.

bfno

by bfno

This is great stuff! Keep it coming :)
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@bfno

I usually only build what I am interested in, so if you see a need and it might be something I can do, I will look into it.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

I have 3 additional suggestions for you:

1) Di2 for k-edge mount: the new "aero" style mount has an interface to fit a GoPro. You could use this interface to hold the Di2 JB below the computer. Maybe a simple disk between the computer and camera mount, with an extension to your di2 mount would work. Of course, longer bolts would be required. Remark: I actually don't need this - the other mount you made will fit much better for me - but this one would be cool as well

2) Seatpost mount for a can of Vittoria Pitstop. I think it was possible to buy it with the mount in the past, but I am not able to find it anymore.

3) Or a seatpost mount for CO2 cartridges. Something like this, but for seatposts

I wish I knew how to do what you are doing :beerchug:

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Good suggestions, I have to think about it some before I jump in. I was working on a C02 cart mount and abandoned it since I do use a small bag and my seatpost is getting crowded.

Stay tuned for mounts specific to the Cervelo S-Series.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Two new mounts that fit Cervelo S-Series (S-2, S-3, S-5) Aero Road seat posts. Built up the same way as the previous models. Available in both a GoPro style mount as well as one for the Garmin Virb.

Image Image
GoPro Cervelo S-Series Aero Post Mount
Virb Cervelo S-Series Aero Post Mount

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

This is great stuff!
I had to order Di2 junction holders. Any chance you could do race number holders?
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@TurboKoo

What type of race number holders? I already have a few up on Shapeways that mount on the seat post. A lot of people already adapt reflector holders to mount race numbers.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I'm thinking like these but lighter. Image
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

... image removed ...
I am not sure it would be strong enough to be tightened under the brake center bolt. This is a rough sketch. All cleaned up it would be less than $10 USD in the current size. Part goes up 25 mm and then angles at 45° then out 25 mm, it is 3 mm thick. Thicker and larger means more money as there is more plastic and more space in the print tray. Since I don't mount race numbers I would have to ask what lengths are common. At this size we are talking, my guess, 3 - 4 grams.

Part could be printed in Stainless Steel, but at triple the cost (~ $30 USD), you could buy three or more in plastic and toss them out if they wear or break. Here is a description of the steel part.
This material is 3D printed 420 Stainless Steel infused with bronze, and has a final composition of approximately 60% steel and 40% bronze. The way that bronze infiltrates into the steel can vary, and this changes the color of your product. If there is a higher concentration of Bronze near the surface of the product, it will take on more of Bronze's deep brown color. This has the most noticeable impact on Stainless Steel, but can also affect the shade of other finishes.
Last edited by WheresWaldo on Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Since so many people asked for this, I figured I would try it. Here is a number plate holder for the rear caliper center bolt.

Race Plate Number Holder

Installation:
Remove rear brake caliper, remove spacing washer usually installed on caliper. This is usually the serated thick plastic washer that spaces the brake shoes away from the seat stays. Use this item in place of the spacing washer. Re-install brake caliper. This is designed for a M4 bolt andnut to hold the number plate.

They are so much cheaper than everything else out there why not just buy them in a bunch of colors.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

dofman

by dofman

What about a garmin front mount with an integrated di2 Junction box mount, I'd surely buy it right away :-)

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Dofman, I already designed a Garmin mount, it is just not tested yet. I have it coming to me. Once I am satisfied with how it works, I will likely do a Garmin/Garmin, Garmin/GoPro, Garmin/Virb as well as something integrated with Di2.

I did a combo Stem Cap/Garmin to mount my Sony Live-View Remote. As soon as it arrives and I test it with all my Garmin devices, I will get back to work on new Garmin stuff.

Owners of K-Edge Combo Mounts
If you want to mount your Shimano Di2 SM-EW90-A|B Junction 'A' under your Garmin. this is what you need.

K-Edge Combo Mount Di2 Interface

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

[rant] I want to rant just a bit here about Commercial 3D Printing Services and their lead times.

For a while now I have been looking at alternatives to using Shapeways for 3D Printing Services. Their lead times are just too long to try and run any kind of business. The best way to treat them is to order something, then immediately forget you ordered. In two + weeks when a package shows up pretend it's you birthday (or holiday or anniversary) and be happily surprised.

My dilemma is that every service I have seen, and I have signed up for at least four other competing services, the pricing is higher than Shapeways, sometimes substantially. Also knowing that not everyone is in the US, trying to find local in-region services is very hard. As an example, I had one part quoted by a Canadian service, same part I can print in the US for about $10 USD, and I was quoted $40 CAD (~32 USD). Even paying for Shapeways international shipping makes the part cheaper to produce and ship from the US.

I want to assure everyone here I am looking for ways to lower the costs and speed up delivery, but until this industry matures to the point of have a viable competitive marketplace, we are going to be stuck with placing an order and waiting two weeks before it arrives. [/rant]

To all who have tried my parts out, I want to say thank you very much for your support. I hope that you guys will get as much value out of them as I do using them also. If there is anything else anyone needs I do look at requests and see if they are first viable, then of interest to me. Some things I am currently working on are Garmin Edge combo mounts that are not just GoPro specific, lighting mounts, aero seat post mounts, more Garmin Virb stuff. I wish I could get stuff out at a faster pace, but this is just a hobby I do in my spare time and once designed I have to order a sample to make sure it works the way I expected it to.

Thanks everyone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com