Camera Mounts and Assorted 3D Printed Parts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

I don't know why Cannondale always feels the need to run contrary to conventional practice, but they did it again on the 2014 through current model Synapse by using a 25.4 mm seat post rather than a 27.2 like the rest of their road line (and nearly everyone else). So here is a GoPro style mount to use on those odd Synapse seat posts as well as a few retro builds that have 1" seat posts.

GoPro 25.4 mm Seat Post Mount

are

by are

WheresWaldo wrote:@are, something like this:

(cut image)

This would use two O-Rings just like Garmin uses for their mounts to hold the fixture to the back of the seat tube. It is just a mock up of what could be done.

Yes, that's what I had in mind, but ideally the part that isn't holding the pump, i.e., the side against the seatstay, would be a bit more minimal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@are, yeah I re-thought it after the mock up. It needs to be smaller. One thing you can do to help me out. Please measure the diameter of the pump where the mount would clip. On the frame end I went with a radius of 34.9 mm but if its really small it won't have to be precise.

drmutley

by drmutley

I would love to see a Tilquist style face bolt mounts garmin holder which has a camera mount underneath..., any plans?

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Tillquist (<< two L's) does all his stuff in aluminum, plastic isn't strong enough to have the face plate bolts go through. Probably the best we could hope for is to make an insert to screw into the bottom of his mounts. That would be fairly easy and inexpensive provided he allowed a way to mount it.

drmutley

by drmutley

Cheers for the reply... I asked as racewaredirect are 3D printing faceplate mounted fixtures, so I just assumed u could... Something to mount on the bottom of a Tillquist (&lt;&lt; two L's) mount would be awesome if u could make one up [emoji106]

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Been all over their site and didn't see any that either screwed onto the faceplate (ala Tillquist) or replaced the faceplate in total. Not sure what you saw. Before I decided to do this for myself, i was on their site and considered buying a few things from them, but their cost was just too high. They are basically working with a commercial 3D printer that seems to have identical capability as Shapeways here in the U.S. does.

drmutley

by drmutley

Should've look at their FB page then...

There's a SRM version... Garmin coming soon....

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

That must be a plastic mock up, they have the ability to 3D print titanium parts, that would be the only way I would trust something that replaces two stem bolts and sits inbetween.

DuncanS

by DuncanS

Is that mounted to the bar, not the faceplate?

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Not sure, can't find a picture of the underside of the aero road bars anywhere. Found another picture of Raceware's mount, it seems that they do it like Tillquist, mounted to the front. I wouldn't trust plastic for this part so likely it is just a mock up. This also means, unless they do what Tillquist does, it will likely only fit a small fraction of the available stems.
Don't know why they are doing it this way if they intend to use plastic, there is room on either side of the stem to use a 31.8 mount. If it is metal, I would guess it will be pretty expensive, their chaincatcher is $42, same part you can pick up in Aluminum on eBay for under $10. My guess would be over $50 for this, but if you already are sending $400 MSRP on a set of handlebars, what is $50-60 more for a SRM mount!

Not every idea and product from them is smart or practical. Something like this might work better, picture it with an SRM mount on the end instead of a Garmin. Strong, stable, and no screws. It looks like it would fit on both sides of that 3T stem.

drmutley

by drmutley

DuncanS wrote:Is that mounted to the bar, not the faceplate?

To the faceplate... Their integrated bar options are mounted to the bar....

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Just finished this up for a friend
GoPro Felt Aero Road 1.1A Seat Post Mount

I am trying out a few ideas about head design as well as the shape of the clamp so this is definitely a BETA product and if anyone buys one I would love feedback.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

I got a request to do one for someone who owns a Specialized Turbo S ebike, I remember a lot of Specialized bikes a few years ago used this size seat post. So here it is.

I am streamlining all the clamp areas. I already proved my concepts now its time to make them pretty. In the renders all the markings appear sharp, the process used to polish the parts takes all these sharp edges down so it will blend in more. The rear part of the clamp is symetrical and can be mounted right side up whichever way you orient the mount.
Last edited by WheresWaldo on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

I created this little document to make it easier to determine what size seat posts I have designed mounts for. Please note that the only aero seat posts I currently support are the Cannondale Synapse and the Felt U-M 1.1 Aero:Road. I am currently asking bike manufacturers if they will allow me to see their seat post profiles for the aero posts (under NDA if necessary). If not I will continue to add them one at a time as I come across the different profiles by reverse engineering.

Bicycle_Seat_Posts.pdf

Note:
Just added a 34.0 mm mount to support the Bontrager Race XXX Lite seat post.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com